• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

High possibility for pancreatic and liver cancer in my cat Quando- what Therapy would be best?

BethS

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear HA Team

Quando, my 7-11 year old shelter cat has lost weight within the last two to three months and his coat looked less shiny to me. He seemed to scratch himself more. Occasionally, he had a runny eye. As he spends most time outdoors, examination of stool was difficult but if indoors he often defecated next to the litter box and had diarrhea at least once with little blood in it. Thats when I decided to take him to the animal hospital to have a check up done on him. Already a month ago, I went to the local Vet and told him about the symptoms. He only gave him flea and parasite medication, cut his claws?! and squeezed his anal sacs. I had a feeling that this examination was not sufficient as he didnt take blood samples or seemd worried about his weight loss.

At the animal hospital they ran some tests. His weight was at 4.7 kg. Blood tests revealed that his value for the pancreas was highly increased. Ultrasound showed that his pancreas was massively changed. His liver had knots, too. Unfortunately, they suspect pancreatic and liver cancer. However, they dont exclude a chronic inflamation yet. As a next step, they want to puncture the inner organs to have more data on 3rd of December 2019. Quando lives at my parents place in the countryside, unfortunately, he as been vaccinated over the course of the last years - every year! The local Vet sent us a reminder every year to reapply the vaccines.

About BEAM:

Behaviour: is so far not much changed. He has always been a pretty nervous cat who spends most of his time outdoors. He returns home several times a day for feeding. He is an active hunter and shows his prey. He wakes up at 5 or 6 am, and wakes us up to open the door for him. He has an intense urge to be outside. During the day he seems quite busy, sometimes sticks around the house but then wanders off. In the evening he likes cuddles and is much calmer, he often licks my hands and gives head bangs and sits right on my chest and purrs. He sleeps in my bed. If he cant go outside for some reason he nervously walks up and down and meows. He reacts scared to loud noises and doesnt like noises when he is eating. After the hospital visit he hid under the bed the next day. When he sees the transportation cage he immediately hides under the bed. He is stressed when transported often opening his mouth and panting. If he isnt in the house and I call him, 50 % of the times he comes home, greeting me with meowing and head bangs.

Energy: he is energetic, almost too nervous, especially when he cant go outside. His walk is quick and not soft or easy like other cats'. he hunts and runs around in the garden.

Appetite: He eats regularly but hastily. I have the impression that he often just licks the jelly or the sauce of the food. He eats his prey, birds and mice. So far he got canned and dry food. I tried to introduce organic canned food before hand but wasnt accepted too well. Also I dont live at my parents place anymore and have little control whats going on. However, I visit them every week and also sleep there.

Mood: Quando is always friendly, he never bites or hisses. When sleeping next to me he purrs, stretches out and is generally relaxed. In the mornings he is active and wakes us up with meows or gently with his paw. He doesnt like loud noises and is easily scared. He is a shelter cat and we dont have information about his past. Generally, he is not aggressive with our two other cats, but was in fights in the past with other cats and needed medical attention (bites, minor injuries).

I doubt the usefullness of this fine needle aspiration he is scheduled to get in 10 days. Of course we can always cancel the appointment. Because if we find out its really cancer, I tend to apply a holistic therapy and not chemo. So I might as well not do it at all. I watched this video to get some background information

What I have done so far:
I only give him purified water (tripple reverse osmosis) and bought fresh organic meat (poultry, beef) which he accepts well. Also i bought canned organic meat and did some research for fresh meat deliveris for cat food. I argue a lot with my parents as they seem to have troubles to change his diet or change their mindset. Dont get me wrong, they love their cats but still trust the traditional vets more or dont believe that a change of diet will counterfight cancer. Also they think they food the have been feeding is of good quality (sheba, purina, winston). This is frustrating. I sleep at my parents place now every day to make sure he gets fresh food in the morning and in the evening. I hope with more support of your team my parents will see how important it is to feed fresh food and apply other holistic therapeutic measures.

I would be very grateful for advice on what therapy I should do, natural remedies, curcuma, anti oxidants, vitamins, nutrition...basically everything that can make him healthy again or help him live the best life possible. I wouldnt know where to ask for help elsewhere. I am also very interested in having a virtual consulation with your team and work with homeopaths no matter the costs.

I read the fundamentals and it was an eye opener. I am endlessly thankful for your advice, support and service. Below are some old photos, his lab results of the blood test and the vaccines of the past years.

Regards Bettina

bettina.schaer@bluewin.ch
+41789108724

2015 2016 blood test lab results vaccines
20161112_164714.jpg20170417_102346.jpg20191123_084639.jpg 20191123_084658.jpg20191123_102809.jpg

20161112_164714.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Bettina (do you prefer Beth?) to HA!

Thanks so much for the awe-some info you posted, it's our pleasure and honor to help you and your parents keep Quando well. ?

He's one lucky kitty to have a guardian like you. ?

It's fantastic that his BEAM is good and that he likes to go outside to hunt and eat his prey!

Doing this gives him both the freshest and most Vital food that he can get, as well as exposure to nature, sniffing while he prowls around and engaging with the environment will help fight both inflammatory dis-eases as well as cancer!

Try to maximize his time doing this as well as use environmental enrichment inside with toys to play with, hiding spots, window perches, cat trees, etc.

Regarding food, is there any way that you can get your parents to stop the dry food altogether?

Dry food is high in the carbohydrates that feed cancer.

In addition, ask them to avoid leaving food out for him during the day. These pawses in eating both speed healing as well as promote his hunting and eating prey outside.

Great work with upgrading his diet to fresher and organic meats. :thumbsup:

These will improve both his Vitality and Balance which are the factors that determine healing, longevity and quality of life.

The protocol that you are learning here to do this is called the Vitality and Balance System (VBS) and is based on internal and external symptoms.

In Quando's case,one big rule out is chronic pancreatitis so I wonder if he's shown any symptoms of it like vomiting, spitting, up, going off his food, etc.

Did the University run a specfPLI (specific feline lipase) or vit D?

Here's a great article written for vets about feline pancreatitis from a local internist friend:

Dr. Forman also helped me verify VBS when I started writing about it.

It also looks like Quando's liver enzymes are normal, so this makes a liver cancer less likely.

The knots in the liver could be regenerative nodules (which are "normal").

Do you have a copy of the ultrasound report that you can post? If not, did the vets tell you in what way exactly that the pancreas is abnormal?

You also can order as kit for and request VDI's test to help differentiate cancer from inflammation:

I will ask Randy (the lab founder) whether your vet can also submit this test:

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 12.11.08 PM.png

It would also be helpful if you worked with a vet homeopath to help Quando stay well. You can do this either locally or remotely.

Please keep us updated.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Bettina,
There are excellent homeopathic vets in Switzerland listed on the IAVH website:
I would particularly recommend Marc Baer and Dominique Fraefel. If they are not convenient to you, they would know more about vets closer to you. There are many CAM vets in Switzerland, so you should have many options.
Regards,
Sara

BethS

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Drs Jeff and Sara
thanks for you quick reply.
I talked to my parents and they start to listen to me and understand. I am sure we can scratch the dry food off his menu. I mean we must!!! So, if i understand correctly, Quando should not have access to food all the time to speed up healing and increase his hunting drive? The chemogram has one position mentioning "Lipase" [6.0-21.0 U/I] and his value is at 173. I guess thats not the one you mean, is it? I cant discover a vitamin D test either. I will call the animal hospital tomorrow and ask them about the ultrasound images, or at least the report. In the summary they gave me along they only mention "the pancreas is massively changed". About the pancreatitis: I asked my parents about vomiting. They said yes, it has occured but not recently. My personal observation is also that he ate several times a day, very hastily and not for long, or just licking the jellly or sauce of the food. He eats a lot and i mean lots of this fresh organic meat. Never seen him eating like this, even returning 5 times to his plate and empty it fully???. The vets at the hospital also mentioned that it could be an inflamation and not cancer but they rather suspect cancer. Thats why they wanna do fine needle aspiration but this Neoplasia index seems to be the right choice as it is not risky. However, I only found a cancer test for dogs on their website. Can it also be used on cats?
I will post the data of the animal hospital asap. Also, thanks for the papers and vet recommendations in Switzerland.?????????

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're very welcome!

Also, thank you for the great Swiss vet homeopath recommendations Dr. Sara.

BethS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi there, I got the ultra sound report today...I guess it doesnt sound good :(

Translation Ultrasound Report 20th November 2019 of Quando
Radiological Results
Hyperechoic liver interfused with small (< 1cm radius) hypoechoic nodes. Gallbladder and draining bile duct and papilla duodeni are clinically unremarkable.
Spleen normal.
Kidneys are normally sized; however, show slightly reduced corticomudular boundry.
Adrenal glands normal.
Highly enlarged pancreas with several hypoechoic nodes. Generalized lightly thickened small intestine walls, mostly through thickening of the muscelaris. The large intestine walls are slightly thickened and show slightly reduced layering. The large intestine is filled with soft stool.
Slightly enlarged and rounded pancreaticoduoenal lymph nodes and jejunal lymph nodes with small hypoechic areas.
Medium filled clinically unremarkable urinary bladder.

Radiological diagnosis
High-grade Pancreatopathy and multiple pancreatic nodes
Generalized Hepatopathy and small liver nodes
Slightly generalized Enteropathy and Colopathy; diarrhea.
Slightly pancreaticoduodenal and jejunale Lymphadenopathy
Slight both sided Nephropathy, most likely chronic.

Conclusio:
Pancreasneoplasy (Carcinoma, Adenokarcinoma, Lymphoma or squamous cell carcinoma) or adenomatous or nodular hyperplasy.
Hepatopathy DDx metastatic Neoplasy, hepatic Lipidose or other storage disorders associated with benigne nodular Hyperplasy, steriode Hepathopathy, Hepatitis.
Entero- and Colopathy DDx Enteritis (unknown cause), IBD, infiltrative Neoplasy like Lymphoma.
Reactive or metastatic Lymphadenopathy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the great translation Beth.

I just received the other forms you sent and look forward to reviewing them.

BethS

All-Access Member
Registered
After the first homeopathic remedy, Quandos condition worsened the next day. He seeked solitude, didnt eat well if at all, showed more grooming than usual and was not interactive. However, the following days, his appetite came back, ate lots of fresh meat especially organic beef liver. He eats his food best when I engage him in a hunt for it. I throw it somewhere and he runs there, jumps to catch it. I give him coconut fat, but he dosent eat it just like that. I make a puree of liver and coconut fat which he then licks, he seems to like it a lot. His BEAM at the moment is great.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom