• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

GSD still battling persistent yeast and ear infections

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
My 2YO male GSD, Xander is reaching a breaking point.

We got his results back from AnimalBiome. Fortunately no pathogenic bacteria, just poor diversity and low populations of anti-inflammatory microbes. Since I do a lot of GI health in my own practice, I worked him up to find suitable means of enhancing these populations while reducing others. I settled on: Berberine, Saccharomyces Boulardii and a product that contains NAG.

In September when our female started having seizures, we decided to do sensitivity testing though 5Strands. He's literally sensitive to EVERYTHING. After opting to put my female to sleep who was occupying most of our time, we noticed the supplements we had been giving Xander up until this point contained trace elements of things he was in fact sensitive to so we were going backwards, essentially. Once we removed any supplementation, we've settled on trying to calm his yeast down by just feeding him the foods he can have: turkey, pork, and goats milk. It's growing extremely challenging trying to feed him.

I can't even clean his ears - even with a dry rag - he will literally shake and flop around the house or outside for 30-60 minutes afterward. It's very distressing for him and for us to watch. The yeast does dry up and gets crusty on his pinna, so I like to break it up, because if he scratches at it, it will bleed.

We started to introduce some of the berberine s.boulardii and NAG but the moment we do he's back to itching and flopping around again. He has rusty paws, lichenification around his scrotal sac, missing hair in parts he scratches often, and the outside of his ears are growing patchy and the skin seems to be turning gray.

Perhaps a very in depth homeopathic workup is in order because he clearly is unable to muster raw, crude substances.

I fear it did exacerbate when we put Brynn to sleep about 2 months ago. I tried some ignatia with subpar results.

Please help.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so sorry to hear about Xander's continued allergy challenges Lyndsey.:confused:

Perhaps a very in depth homeopathic workup is in order
Yes, that may be your answer because Xander's generalized immune hyper-sensitivity is likely to be energetic (vs. physiological).

It might be helpful to discuss this further both her and on the phone.

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
I scheduled with you for next week. If there is any other specifics you would like for me to share, please let me know.

I am trying my hardest not to give him things like Benadryl but I’m so tempted just so we can give him some relief. We do put CBD in his nightly milk which seems to quell his shaking and itching a bit, but we give it with the caveat that he is mildly sensitive to hemp ?.

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff - sorry today didn't work. But yes lets aim for 1:30 on Thursday and maybe we can discuss our options further then. I did dose Xander today with sulphur 30c as a start.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
OK!

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff!

Before we chatted today, I wanted to let you know that I called Dr. Jeff Levy and he is not currently taking on any new cases. He said I could check back in a month but I do think we need to get Xander started on something in the interim. I believe his situation to be too dire to wait and correct me if I’m wrong, the longer this goes on the more difficult it can be to treat…

Talk at 130!

Lyndsey

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff - I realized that I had schedule something from 3-4, are you available before 3 or after 4 tomorrow to reschedule our chat? I want to update you on some things regardless.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lyndsey-

I think you're asking about tomorrow's 3:30 HMDM call, and if so I'm afraid that I'm all booked up otherwise.

Let's continue this discussion as a private conversation (I'll start one for you now).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom