• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Green Lipped Mussel suggestion

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Can anyone recommend a green lipped mussel supplement from New Zealand that I can pursue for JJ? I am not aware of a good brand or where to purchase? I read an article from Dogs Naturally Magazine but don't thing they mentioned one. I prefer one without a lot of other stuff in it. The vet gave me a product called Vet Classics but it is full of other things. Thanks.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Another one Lil but I don't know if it's NASC certified) combines green lipped mussel with eggshell membrane and curcumin:

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
I use the Super Snouts brand mentioned above (makes Bobby's food smell like clam chowder, which he loves. :D). Be careful to buy directly through Super Snouts (or a trusted affiliate company) and not Amazon, since I'm pretty sure I got a fake product through Amazon (not of the GLM, but of something else).

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
For GLM oil, which has different properties from GLM powder, I use Moxxor. Here's the TMI: MOXXOR Omega-3s | Little Big Cat (I am a member and on their Advisory Board; it used to be an MLM now sells only direct).

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm currently giving Green Eggs as recommended by Dr. Jeff above and Moxxor as recommended by Dr. Jean is in our omega oil rotation (the other we use is Feel Good Omega by Dr. Peter Dobias). You can also give air-dried green lipped mussel as treats! I used to buy them from this trusted seller: Air-Dried - New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels — Soul'y Raw Specialty Pet Food - you can get 10% off by using coupon code "SoulyNews"

ZannahM

All-Access Member
Registered
Another one Lil but I don't know if it's NASC certified) combines green lipped mussel with eggshell membrane and curcumin:

I use this one or their Safe Sea GLM oil.. This powder is more potent than the Super Snouts powder. This brand btw is connected to Dogs Naturally Mag mentioned above.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I use the Super Snouts brand mentioned above (makes Bobby's food smell like clam chowder, which he loves. :D). Be careful to buy directly through Super Snouts (or a trusted affiliate company) and not Amazon, since I'm pretty sure I got a fake product through Amazon (not of the GLM, but of something else).
@DanielleDL Outraged about your experience with Amazon---terrible... I also do not buy from them after hearing this and seeing a story on one of those investigative shows about this. Not to mention dangerous---who knows what is in the product that could harm our pets. Several years ago I purchased a product that came all beaten up (the news report was saying that some sellers dumpster dive and the product I got looked like one of those. ) Anyway while I was taking that product I lost about 13 lbs and got really scared because it was unintentional weight loss in spite of eating to my heart's content!! So who knows what it really was. I purchased the GLM directly. I have to put it in capsules though because JJ does not eat things I put in his food.

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
@LilF - Yeah, I normally don't buy food or anything health related from Amazon, but I was desperate for a particular brand/type of CBD chew that seemed to really keep Bobby mellow during his surgery recovery and I mistakenly thought that the supplier listed on Amazon was the official Super Snouts company (upon closer examination afterwards, it wasn't). But I didn't know about the dumpster diving thing! Doesn't surprise me. I'm so glad you're OK!!! And way to go with hiding the GLM in capsules for JJ. Bobby is the opposite. He eats anything--much to our chagrin sometimes (I won't even go into detail. :sick: )

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
When giving a supplement for joint support is it helpful to switch products periodically? Maybe give Super Snouts for a month and then Green Eggs for a month or switch at the end of the container? This is for a BMD that has been on joint supplements since he was young maybe ~1 yo and he is almost 8 yo. He has been on Trixsyn and different types of glucosamine/chondroitin. He is not having any problems but we do know he has a grade 2 elbow with a FCP.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
When giving a supplement for joint support is it helpful to switch products periodically? Maybe give Super Snouts for a month and then Green Eggs for a month or switch at the end of the container? This is for a BMD that has been on joint supplements since he was young maybe ~1 yo and he is almost 8 yo. He has been on Trixsyn and different types of glucosamine/chondroitin. He is not having any problems but we do know he has a grade 2 elbow with a FCP.
I am not an expert but my "opinion" formed over the years is that it is a good idea. In this case with the GLM products, I had the same thought to rotate brands and then also journal about how the dog is doing on that product. I have used Trixsyn on and off over the years. I don't like the preservative in it though. Just to digress a bit on products, I also was using some RxVitamins products and did not like some of the "other ingredients" given to my dog day after day after day. So for that reason I do pause and /or rotate brands. Right now I am using the Dobias products for minerals and vitamins and very happy with it, compared to the VetriScience multivitamin which seems artificial in comparison. With my JJ, I was going to apply this rotation idea with the Epakiten and Aventi for his kidneys. There are natural food sources of things good for the joints like bone broth (Primal and Open Farm to name a couple) and collagen powder (I use Mercola's)s that I also like to incorporate instead of an actual supplement formulated in a laboratory. Making your own bone broth from chicken parts is also great if you have the inclination and a pot to make it in.

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
I am not an expert but my "opinion" formed over the years is that it is a good idea. In this case with the GLM products, I had the same thought to rotate brands and then also journal about how the dog is doing on that product. I have used Trixsyn on and off over the years. I don't like the preservative in it though. Just to digress a bit on products, I also was using some RxVitamins products and did not like some of the "other ingredients" given to my dog day after day after day. So for that reason I do pause and /or rotate brands. Right now I am using the Dobias products for minerals and vitamins and very happy with it, compared to the VetriScience multivitamin which seems artificial in comparison. With my JJ, I was going to apply this rotation idea with the Epakiten and Aventi for his kidneys. There are natural food sources of things good for the joints like bone broth (Primal and Open Farm to name a couple) and collagen powder (I use Mercola's)s that I also like to incorporate instead of an actual supplement formulated in a laboratory. Making your own bone broth from chicken parts is also great if you have the inclination and a pot to make it in.
Thanks for your comments I do pause the joint supplements occasionally to make sure I’m not covering an issue that needs to be addressed. I switch off vitamin and mineral products between Dobias and Cornucopia. I make my own bone broth because I have access to local organic beef, pork and chicken bones. Whenever I use eggs (local, organic) I give Buxton the shell membrane. He knows to come for it when he hears me crack an egg!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
For GLM oil, which has different properties from GLM powder, I use Moxxor. Here's the TMI: MOXXOR Omega-3s | Little Big Cat (I am a member and on their Advisory Board; it used to be an MLM now sells only direct).
Dr. Jean, is rancidity a problem at all like fish oil and does this have to be refrigerated and used within a month once opened (like they recommend for fish oil) I have seen you talk about this a few times and think now is the time to try it for JJ and myself. I use Nordic Naturals for myself and used to use it for both dogs. I know they are stable at some point but then may turn rancid and be an oxidant. So is the Moxxor more stable than a fish oil?

CherylC

All-Access Member
Registered
I have frozen,fresh, ones. How many or amount should I give a day,,they stink really bad,,lol

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I have frozen,fresh, ones. How many or amount should I give a day,,they stink really bad,,lol
My dog will not take it if they smell really bad. I cannot put anything in his food or he won't eat it. Good to know. I will stick with the powder for now since he is taking it when I fill up a capsule.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom