• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Golden paste for dogs

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi,
I've been thinking about making/offering golden paste to one of my dogs who has a lot of arthritis. His allopathic diagnosis is severe spondylosis.
I have read that golden paste helps with inflammation.
I have said dog on Trixsyn, with good results. He is on a remedy, the best I can do with given input from my husband. Again, I am pleased with results.
Fed fresh food diet, low carb.
BEAM is good, dog is happy, just trying to do better.

My questions :
The recipes I have seen call for an oil to make the paste.
I have seen a couple articles stress the importance of feeding with a fat. IF I make it with coconut oil, wouldn't that count toward the fat?
I have also seen that it doesn't last long in the body and should be offered a couple times throughout the day. Should I offer it two, three times?

Looking for any thoughts on golden paste and people's experience/results using it.

thank you,
Becca

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Becca-

Yes, good questions about fat, oil, black pepper, etc. I've seen research pros and cons both ways.

Designs For Health seems to have one of the best absorbed turmeric supplements out there.

They use turmeric oil. Here's what they say:

<em>Overview
Curcum-Evail® is a patent pending, highly bioavailable curcuminoid formulation. It contains a unique combination of three bioactive, health-promoting curcuminoids: curcumin, bisdemethoxy curcumin and demethoxy curcumin, along with turmeric oil. The three curcuminoids are the strongest, most protective and best researched constituents of the turmeric root.

Curcum-Evail® is manufactured utilizing the Designs for Health Evail™ process, which helps to optimize the absorption rate of the curcuminoids while reducing their absorption time. This proprietary process uses all-natural ingredients, including turmeric oil, sunflower lecithin, and vitamin E, without the use of potentially harmful surfactants. </em>

Made with non-GMO ingredients.

I've not had personal experience with using Golden Paste, but I'll check with Dr. Christina.

Anyone else use it for their own pets?

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I hear many clients and students rave about golden paste so I posted this on our holistic veterinary forum and I got many different opinions.

First, yes the coconut oil would count as the oil.

And one of my early cases using homeopathy was a dachshund with such severe spondylosis that he could not bend at all. The radiographs showed a mass of bone as big as the spine extending below 8 of the vertebrae. After 5 months of homeopathic treatment it was completely gone. Other dogs have had improvements, some great some minor.

From the list serve, edited by me.
Veterinarian 1: I have used this for my dogs. I used organic turmeric powder, and organic coconut oil. The dogs hesitating at first to eat it (try it frozen), and it does cause their urine to have a distinct odor. Otherwise, I saw improvement in their symptoms for arthritis. I also used turmeric in managing malignant melanoma in one of my geriatric dogs, rather successfully.
2: It can cause nausea, vomiting and blood thinning resulting in increased bleeding times. The oil fraction can trigger pancreatitis in sensitive patients. It’s not for every patient by any means. Go slow, go low and gradually increase. By doing it that way we allow the microbiome to adapt and properly process the herbal and we get low dose stimulators effects which can be superior to high dose suppressive dosing. [Dr. C: as with any foods, exercise, supplements, I know you and other members are watching for any changes, good or bad, and recording them in a journal, so you do not need to be put off by these possible problems and you will notice any changes.]
3: Black pepper can irritate the gut.
4: Agree that coconut oil and black pepper are problematic for dogs and coconut oil is not liked by many cats.
5: have used turmeric (+/- in coconut oil) for melanoma patients for years, it really does seem to be beneficial! Many dogs that get turmeric daily develop an odor in their skin that smells like tomcat pee.

In checking several articles, I would avoid turmeric before surgeries (clotting issues), in animals with pancreatitis (because of the oil, though if they are now balanced the oils should be fine), and be cautious if there are kidney or gall bladder problems.

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thank you Dr Chambreau!! This is interesting, good to know, I will have to think on this a bit. I suspect I will go ahead and try it, if so, I will let everyone know how we make out.

TomCat Pee!!! LOL!

Thank you,

Becca

H

hsutopia

I have a friend who hikes several miles daily as her business.  She swears by turmeric golden paste (the Australian on-line recipe), and says it helps a great deal to alleviate her aches and pains.

jenniferleadulin8

Registered
i've been using homemade turmeric paste for almost 2 years, with my black labrador....  the black pepper is necessary for turmeric absorption, you could use just a little, 1/4 tsp for the batch... i use the best organic virgin coconut oil, it seems to help the intensity of the turmeric...  use a high cur cumin organic turmeric powder.  it takes about 10 minutes to make and lasts about 2 weeks..   i use 1tsp at night in a cup of warm bone broth and dilute it further....     when i don't use it on those pulsing off days, ... well if i don't use it for a few days, i think i notice a difference in her and start it again...     pickle presented with swollen optic nerve after a fall... a fall that could have primary or secondary to the inflammation in her brain...  homeopathy has literally been healing her neurological issues... and feeding her high vitality easy absorbable natural nutrients is my job.   home turmeric paste is a mainstay in our protocol...     i love knowing about the 2 products dr. jeff reviewed, they sound powerful...  thank you !!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom