• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Getting Urine Sample - Stubborn Lola

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
I have been trying for two weeks to get a urine sample from my 8 year old too smart Lab. We start at 4 in the morning because Dr Jeff always says get first morning urine. As soon as she squats and I put container under her she pops up . The other day I must have tried 4 times in the morning with same results. I’m about to make her hold it and go in and have a cysto? I would go out with her each time so I had her up at the dog pound with me inside and as soon as I got on the phone she walked over to the aisle and squatted over a drain!!! Grrrrr. I’m not new to this so I thought I knew all the tricks. She just had recent annual bloodwork so I need urinalysis too.

16E7315E-FB8A-4FB2-936C-D14740E3D375.jpeg

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Often what works is to take a coat hanger (the old metal kind) and make a small loop in one end to hold a very shallow container. Then when she squats, you can slip the cup in from a distance, so she is less likely to get up.

If it does not work first or second try, train her to love having it go under her when she is not peeing by using rewards, then try again. And collect urine every time she goes out so she finally says, oh, weird mom just wants to shove that under me!

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom