• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Found a tick imbedded in dog skin

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Hello, my Dog Kala was bit by a tick.

Female
Spayed
Maltipoo
8.2 pounds
BEAM (normal)
Just switched her to raw food (Small Batch)

Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: she just got Bordatella, DAAP and rabies vaccines on 2/9/23

Anti flea/tick/heart worm medication: I stopped it over a year ago and and that helped her eyes cleared up. She used to have frequent tearing with strong odor and a stained face. since I stopped those monthly pills it got much better.

Primary problem: I was petting her when I felt a bump and I saw the tick. Unknown to me how long this has been there! I used tweezers to remove the tick unfortunately I was not able to remove it all. A portion is still in imbedded in her skin. Please see pics attached.

How do I remove it?

I’m new and I’ve been learning from your wonderful site. I have been keeping a journal for 5 days now and Kala seems normal.

Other health concerns: per my first post, she has some crystals in her urine discovered in a urinalysis in December 2022 and a follow up in February 2023 still shows them. Vet recommended:

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO Canned Wet Dog Food​

I have not given her this food because I want to try new batch food, per Dr. Jeff’s recommendation, to see if that helps with her overall health, since she has no symptoms from this either.

Thank you!

C2FE8D54-DEE7-47D8-916F-B6C0F5BCA7BD.jpeg

C3A255CD-4468-4265-B120-07EB1A6822E5.jpeg

374C4FA6-9483-492C-9278-20CA46CE4A31.jpeg

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Forgot to mention above. I applied peroxide to her skin after removing the tick. The tick was dead when I removed it. Also found another dead one on my sofa ?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great work that you removed the tick Christina!

For removal, I use a tool that lassos then pulls off the tick called a Trix Tick remover (I don't know if it is still available in the US). My wife Amy just grabs as close to the skin and pulls them off (which I don't recommend but...).

Path Away sprayed on the skin after you remove can be useful for reducing any Lyme bacteria in the tick bite area.

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
It’s hard to see from the picture I posted but the remainder of this tick is imbedded under her skin. Are there other ways to remove it? That tool you sent is not available in the US. Is there a product that could be used to soften the skin so we don’t have to cut her?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Ah, got it!

No worries about the head parts from the tick. Kala's body will treat this like any superficial foreign body (like a splinter) and expel it over the next week or two (or less depending on her vitality and cellular energy level).

You can speed up the process by applying hot compresses to the area 3x/day.

Soaking the compress in comfrey and/or using topical calendula can speed up the process.

If her BEAM drops or if this is not healing then a vet visit is warranted. A call to your vet may also be helpful (and maybe you can even share the pics with them).

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Ah, got it!

No worries about the head parts from the tick. Kala's body will treat this like any superficial foreign body (like a splinter) and expel it over the next week or two (or less depending on her vitality and cellular energy level).

Soaking the compress in comfrey and/or using topical calendula can speed up the process.

If her BEAM drops or if this is not healing then a vet visit is warranted. A call to your vet may also be helpful (and maybe you can even share the pics with them).

Ah, got it!

Thank you, Dr. Jeff. I’ll do that and keep monitoring her symptoms. My vet is not holistic and he is going to want to give her antibiotics, so I am going to hold off for now. I just did some energy work this morning and feel pretty good about it. Thank you so much!!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Christina! ? ? ?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom