• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Drugs for car anxiety

LilF

Community Member
Registered
It has been about six months since I have been working with Blossom and her car anxiety. When I was giving her some supplements they did seem to take the edge off some. The lavendar seemed to have helped in conjunction with that, but not enough. One made her throw up bile (a supplement touted by a dog webinar presenter --not a HA! webinar)She still is eating in the car which I do so she doesn't go over threshold. Today she seemed frenetic. Today, after days of not having anything she was off the wall. When we came home after15 minutes in the car she fell right to sleep. One: anyone who has a judgment of me personally I will not tolerate it and not read your post. My self worth is just fine---matter of fact --my self worth is so fine that I am not tolerating this kind of sacrifice anymore. I was supposed to go to my holistic Dr. in another state and was going to take her but have been unable to go. When I adopted her I planned to take her to my appointment scheduled the following month. I need medical attention. Second: My self worth also is way too high to put myself at risk for a car accident that would change my life. Change my face, affect my life quality or my finances. It isn't going to happen. Choices: I will contact the vet for a drug regimen tomorrow to practice with so we can GET to the spay appointment in May an hour away. I will not pussy foot around anymore, feeding her in the car, distracting me will not be tolerated. I have done my best, sacrificed MY life and my health as I have done with all my dogs. Some call this a self worth problem--- I call it empathy....but I digress......It is time to stop all that. If the drugs do not work she is going to have to go. I had a dog once who died because he would not ride in the car....home vet care was abysmal and he suffered terribly. The rescue already said they were going to pick her up to spay her a few months ago. If she acted out in the car and I was far away, I would have to let her out-- She has some psychological problem and I need to get medical care for myself, long overdue. Again, if you have a nasty comment keep it to yourself already. As Bernie Siegel says to those making nasty comments: "I am sorry your parents did not love you" He also says "you do not know what a person is dealing with" So I am willing to try things that work but so far Pheromones, Flower essences, Rescue Remedy, having another person in the car, lavendar, music, food do not work enough for me to ride with her longer than 15 minutes. I am not going to go from this to the "nursing home" when all is said and done.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Don't take it out on her, whatever else happens. She can't help it; she's just a product of her environment and experiences. Love and calm to you both....

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Lil.

How frustrating for you! I understand that. I had a Border Collie who tried to herd other cars and it was like driving in a blender, even with her in a seatbelt! My Doodle gets car sick. I dread medical visits. The BC had to get into a crate to stop her spinning and I have to use tarps for the Doodle because a crate means vomit gets all over her.

Blossom knows she found a great mom, and she's probably afraid she'll lose you when she has to get in the car. Who knows what trauma she may have experienced - perhaps she was dumped from a car by a former owner? But like that saying "you can't pour from an empty cup," you have to be safe and able to take great care of yourself in order to take great care of her.

In any event, this is a safe space and we do our best to keep it that way. Unconstructive feedback will be removed.

We would love for you and Blossom to be able to stay together; perhaps keeping her in a safe and loving home outweighs the occasional use of a pharmaceutical if all other approaches have proven to be ineffective for her. I'm not a vet but I know what it's like to hit that wall of frustration when I can't easily find the solution and my fur babies can't tell me what they need. @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve, what do you think?

You've got this, Lil!

Best,
Kim from Support

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Holistic, aka Integrative medicine, uses *all* the tools in the toolbox! If it takes drugs, so be it.

However, two alternatives come to mind: EFT/Tapping and Tellington TTouch (I'll attach a cheat sheet, but there are lots of videos and instructions in books and online too).

Attachments

• The Tellington TTouch Method For Dogs.pdf
    413.8 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You have tried: Pheromones, Flower essences, Rescue Remedy, having another person in the car, lavendar, music, food. Drugs when needed are, as Dr. Jean said, certainly a part of integrative health care and it is wonderful that you recognize the need to take care of yourself.

Since this will be a life time issue, keep trying to resolve the issue, while using drugs until that happens.

Possibly begin homeopathic constitutional prescribing, knowing that it may take time to fully resolve.

And we do keep getting speakers giving us new methods to try, like last night's speaker on HTA.

Maybe the Assissi Canine Calmer or other pemfs, acupressure, Tellington T touch, clicker training, CBD, intuitive.

Dr. Christina

MarcyD

Registered
My dog developed a fear of riding in the car after he had to go to the Emergency vet and stay over a few nights. He would chew on the metal gate and make his gums bleed. He chewed up the soft sided crate. If my husband drove and he stayed on my lap, he wouldn't stay on my lap and made noises. He seemed to be in some far away place that my voice/touch couldn't settle him. The iCalm for dogs helped take the edge off but seemed to work better on me.

I discovered Ana Maria Vasquez CBD Oil. She's an Animal Communicator and I set up a session for dosing. (It's much more than that!). After being on it for a month, we moved an hour away. He handled the packing stress pretty well but the car ride was amazing. He was silent and just sat in his crate!! Last summer we were evacuated due to forest fires and the drive to the coast was 3 hours. We took one break but he did so well, he laid down. And I'm sure he was feeling my stress!! It's also changed how he handles other dogs. He used to flip out, causing an embarrassing scene and now he accepts them and sometimes chooses to greet them - quite miraculous actually!! This remedy may be more expensive than some of the others but it is so worth it. It's also helped with his mobility - back and leg stiffness. I chose to share my direct source of CBD because there's a billion out there.

I honor you Lil and these experiences you're going through with Blossom!

Warmly,
Marcy

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
And another example of resolving anxiety comes from veterinarian Madalyn Ward whom we have quoted often for horse issues. www.HOlisticHorseKeeping.com is her site. She wrote in FB today:
So yesterday I went to load my horses for the first time in the new trailer. I did not realize I had any anxiety about this but the animals sure picked up on something.
The dogs were barking like crazy and the horses were concerned. Both got in the trailer but they just didn’t settle. My plan was to let them stand and eat hay but they weren’t having it.
I unloaded them and decided to focus on my emotions the next time I loaded. Well today nothing was different except that I pictured the dogs being quiet and the horses loving the new trailer.
It worked! I am so blessed that my animals let me know when I am not in the best place emotionally. They are really teaching me to pay attention
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom