• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Doggie Dementia - Does your dog have signs?

FrancineB

All-Access Member
Registered
I am interested in hearing from pet parents who are going through dementia with their dogs.

Are you seeing any of these signs? Getting stuck in corners? Not socializing as before? Going outside, not knowing why? Disoriented, disturbance of sleep patterns, eating issues?
What signs are you seeing, what have you tried?
What has worked , what hasn't?
Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for posting this question Francine!

I'm sure that lots of us have seen or lived with dogs who have signs of CCD (canine cognitive dysfunction/Alzheimer's).

Is this clinical research for your book?

Do you have a deadline? If so, you may also want to tag @GinnyW, @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Sara, @Dr. Jean,
@dr_ judy herman

FrancineB

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for posting this question Francine!

I'm sure that lots of us have seen or lived with dogs who have signs of CCD (canine cognitive dysfunction/Alzheimer's).

Is this clinical research for your book?

Do you have a deadline? If so, you may also want to tag @GinnyW, @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Sara, @Dr. Jean,
@dr_ judy herman
Dr. Feinman, thanks so much for responding to my question. Yes, I want to hear from anyone who is dealing with CCDS in dogs (Dementia- Alzheimer's). I know there are other's whose experiences may be different from what I went through with Shamrock and I am hoping to hear their input. I want to give my reader's diverse information; not just my experience. Thanks again

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Maye start this discussion by sharing Shamrock's story?

FrancineB

All-Access Member
Registered
Just to give you some background- My Shamrock and her sister Clover were rescue dogs from Hurricane Katrina. Both girls got their annual checkups and were very healthy. Her sister Clover got liver cancer at 10 and died very quickly, so we made sure to constantly be aware of Shamrock's health after that. She did fine but at 13 we started to notice some slight changes, but the vets felt she was just "old." By 15 the signs were more pronounced and still all the vets felt nothing was really wrong, but put her on some meds for what might be pain issues and a little arthritis,(she was a Springer Spaniel). From 15 to 16 the changes became more and more and by 16 1/2 she was in full blown dementia and what I still term as Alzheimer's.

I am writing this book because after having 9 dogs, many who lived to 20, I never expected this and was totally unprepared. So my goal is to gather as much information as possible to help other pet parents and their babies to better understand this disease, do what they can to prevent it, slow it and even possibly stop it! But in any case have the tools to deal with it for their dogs and their family.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing Francine.

Shamrock and Clover were lucky pups to have found such a loving and caring mom. Thank you for coming to their rescue. ?:dog2::dog2:

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian

FrancineB

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Hofve,

Thanks so much for responding and for sending this study. it is indeed very helpful and interesting to add for my readers. I have spoken with neurologist like Dr. Bredesen who are working with Alzheimer's patients and getting good results with omega's and MCT oils.

If you would like I can keep you advised about the book.

Thank you again .
Francine

Julie W.

All-Access Member
Registered
I have a 14 1/2 year old ESS. He has PRA and he can no longer hear. He has had some personality changes over the last year which seems to me to be caused by not being able to see. I do not think he is demented. I notice he has less interest in other humans. As long as he knows where I am he is happy. Sometimes he can get stuck places because he can not see but he can get himself unstuck, mostly. He no longer barks. He has a lot of vitality and a strong will. He seems happy. I hope he lives until he is 16. I will update you if I see any additional changes.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for bringing up this important point Julie.

Yes, differentiating subtle vision loss from "dementia" can be challenging.

I hope as well that he is happy until we get to celebrate his sweet 16!

FrancineB

All-Access Member
Registered
I have a 14 1/2 year old ESS. He has PRA and he can no longer hear. He has had some personality changes over the last year which seems to me to be caused by not being able to see. I do not think he is demented. I notice he has less interest in other humans. As long as he knows where I am he is happy. Sometimes he can get stuck places because he can not see but he can get himself unstuck, mostly. He no longer barks. He has a lot of vitality and a strong will. He seems happy. I hope he lives until he is 16. I will update you if I see any additional changes.
Thanks so much for contributing to the feed...I too hope he makes it to 16. I found music, games and short walks really did a lot ...even if he is having trouble seeing he may have good responses with other senses.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great suggestions Francine!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
So glad he is strong and vital, Julie.
Flower essences, reiki, essential oils and some supplements may help.
Also, homeopathic treatment may even bring back a tad of vision or hearing. I have had it happen with a few of the older animals I treated.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
For those of you studying homeopathy, here are a few of the rubrics for the symptoms that Francine is listing.
Others, please comment and add to these rubrics.

MIND section of Kent's Repertory
  • absorbed
  • anxiety and the sub rubrics
  • Confusion: loses his way in well-known streets;
  • Delusions (while really a human rubric, sometimes it does seem like they are seeing things, and it is a fun section to read)
  • Escape, desire to
  • Excitement: as if hurried; nervous; over trifles
  • Fears: many sub-rubrics
  • Forgetful
  • Frightened easily
  • Hide, desire to
  • Restlessness: at night;
FACE section
  • Expression: confused; anxious; etc
Murphy's Repertory has
Dementia, senile

Dr. Christina

Julie W.

All-Access Member
Registered

FrancineB

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for posting on this topic. The use of human data re: Alzheimer's and CCD (Canine Cognitive Decline) is so similar when dog's are living in the same environment as humans. And when dog's are segregated not as much, so it gives us more information to understand causes and as such to try and find ways for preventention. But more and more information about AD is helping to find human treatments that may also help dogs, Such as MCT oils, supplements like omega 3, etc. I have been speaking to veterinarians for over a year and it is still a very controversial subject but as dogs live longer and we see symptoms that are so similar to Alzheimer's, it is a subject that needs to be discussed and pet parents need to be aware of the symptoms and signs.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, you had recommendrf Lions Mane for Katie. (Amyloban 3399) Do you still recommend?

FrancineB

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for posting Francine!

Did your investigations uncover any info about using low dose naltrexone (LDN)?

BTW-How's your CCD book coming along?
Dr. Feinman I have looked into it but it is still questionable. I have asked Dr. Bredesen a neurologist who specializes in AD to give me some thinking.

Thanks for asking about the book. I have interviewed over 50 + veterinarians, received numerous documents and talked to neurologists and researchers. So now I am in the writing phase and hope that will proceed well and the book to be published (I hope), by mid-February.

But of course I will still be open to any new information to be included until then and after for my web site.

FrancineB

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, you had recommendrf Lions Mane for Katie. (Amyloban 3399) Do you still recommend?
Hi lizkunz, I hope it's ok if i chime in....I have done alot of research and Lion's Mane has been mentioned many times...in my case regarding CCDS in dog's. So far the responses were positive about its use. I also would like to know what Dr. Feinman feels about it!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom