• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog Vomiting After Eating a Mask

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff and all --

One of Kendi's symptoms is that she eats inedible things. She particularly likes paper. She had her first real appointment with Dr. Jeff last month and I've been giving her calc carb 200c. Of course she has other things going on.

This past Sunday evening she found one of those blue disposable masks while we were walking and ate it. She vomited five times Tuesday night into early Wednesday morning and then twice Wednesday morning after I fed her. Yep, I fed her even though I knew I probably shouldn't. She wanted to eat but didn't join Charlie in barking while I get food ready and she didn't lick every morsel out of her bowl. She had a normal bm on our Wednesday morning walk before eating but was trying to eat grass.

I did not feed her dinner Wednesday night. She didn't even come into the kitchen when I fed Charlie. I mustered up some courage and explored the thing she vomited in the morning. It was the blue mask that she ate on her Sunday evening walk.

Last night she was frequently changing position, stretching, and getting into that play bow position before laying down. She had another normal bm in the yard around 9:15. Some burping and hacking couch throughout the day yesterday and last evening. Coincidentally Charlie had his appointment with Dr. Jeff yesterday morning and we talked a bit about this. He suggested taking a look at arsenicum, pulsatilla, or nux v. I looked them over and decided on nux 30c, 10x, q-tip dose. Two doses -- 9:30 and 10:30. She seemed a little better last night and this morning. Another small but normal bm on our walk this morning. No food.

This afternoon she started pacing quickly again, very restless, and she vomited two more times, one right after the other, greenish-brown kind of chunky bile. I dosed her again around 5:30 p.m. She went on a ten-minute walk with Charlie, no bm. No dinner. Now, 8:30 p.m., she's changing positions again, some stretching, and then just standing and staring. She'll stand in the same position without moving for 3 to 5 minutes and then she'll lay down.

Her BEAM is really off -- low everything.

I tried to zero in on some things in the materia medica and wondered if the stretching and staring are noted anywhere.

Any other ideas? She has a strong personality and it's difficult to see her like this.

Thanks so much!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear about Kendi's continuing GI issues.

Yes, both stretching and staring are represented in the materia medicae and repertory. With the restlessness, I wonder tho if your reading of Ars showed any similarity?

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Jeff -- I took another look and yes, Ars makes more sense now. I first looked at our mini-repertory last night. Changes today compared to last night. She finally rested for about 30 minutes but just got up again. Just remembered that I gave her Ars once before when she vomited. I'll give her that and report back tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Kristen

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Jeff -- Reporting back on Kendi:

Dosed with Ars 30c Thursday night, 11:20, 10x/q-tip
Low energy Friday morning; slow going up steps; not fed
String stool 5:00 p.m. with watery mucus
Fed 1/2 cup congee 5:45
Fed 1/2 cup congee 8:45
Stretching and play bow 9:45
Second dose of Ars 30c
Saturday fed 1/2 cup congee for breakfast
6:30 Refused congee given Saturday for dinner; drank water
7:30 Vomited a lot of yellow bile
Restless after vomiting but settled after 15 minutes, now resting 10:15

Could she just be hungry now and that's why she vomited bile? Maybe her low energy is because she hasn't eaten much since Tuesday.

I may give a few small meals tomorrow or at least start out with a light breakfast to see how it goes.

Is this a good way to start out? I've never had to withhold food for so long.

Thanks!

Kristen

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Jeff -- Reporting back on Kendi:

Dosed with Ars 30c Thursday night, 11:20, 10x/q-tip
Low energy Friday morning; slow going up steps; not fed
String stool 5:00 p.m. with watery mucus
Fed 1/2 cup congee 5:45
Fed 1/2 cup congee 8:45
Stretching and play bow 9:45
Second dose of Ars 30c
Saturday fed 1/2 cup congee for breakfast
6:30 Refused congee given Saturday for dinner; drank water
7:30 Vomited a lot of yellow bile
Restless after vomiting but settled after 15 minutes, now resting 10:15

Could she just be hungry now and that's why she vomited bile? Maybe her low energy is because she hasn't eaten much since Tuesday.

I may give a few small meals tomorrow or at least start out with a light breakfast to see how it goes.

Is this a good way to start out? I've never had to withhold food for so long.

Thanks!

Kristen
@Dr. Jeff

Update on Kendi Sunday morning:

Tolerated walk, slow going up steps to the house, wanted to eat grass
Cooked breakfast for her, 1/2 usual amount
NO INTEREST AT ALL IN FOOD, ONLY WANTED TO DRINK WATER, VOMITED AFTER DRINKING

I dosed her again, Ars 30c, 10x, q-tip 8:40 a.m.

She's resting now.

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kristen-

Can you get her in today or tomorrow for an exam and abdominal x-ray to rule out a partial obstruction?

Please restrict her water (use ice cubes in place of the water) and bring her right in if she vomits without drinking.

Please also stop the Ars and read Phos.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you @Dr. Jeff -- I did take up the available water bowl and put one for Charlie on the second floor where she won't go. She heard Charlie getting some banana earlier and came into the kitchen to where the water bowl usually is.

I'll get her in for an x-ray.

Read about Phos -- the first thing I noticed was Mind: Great depression of spirits. That certainly describes her now. She was happy to see me this morning though. Greeted me with tail wagging. Some other things stand out in mouth, stomach, and stool (when she last had a stool). She's lying on her left side now but I can't say that's been consistently so.

I do have Phos 30c if it's indicated and will keep reporting back.

Thanks again,

Kristen

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff -- Update on Kendi:

Well, she's spending the night at the Emergency Animal Hospital. She has an obstruction. The vet's words were, "She ate more than a mask." She's severely dehydrated, understandable, so they will start IV fluids and hope that it plumps her up a bit so she can pass whatever it is. The vet thinks it just passed from her stomach into her duodenum. She'd like it to pass or go back into her stomach for an easier surgery if it doesn't pass.

Drugs they will start her on tonight: cerenia, buprenorphine, and metronidazole. We had a brief discussion about the antibiotic.

I was asked if I wanted them to remove her pendulous tumor. I said no and they said I could change my mind.

Hopefully, I'll have a good outcome to report in the morning.

Thanks for your guidance...here's Kendi's x-ray.

Kristen

2A7AAC14-9334-43C6-8559-03FC566E9BC5.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, Kristen, how's Kendi today??:) ?

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff — well, i was more hopeful this morning when they said the object had moved some but now it looks like she’ll need surgery. Just talked to their vet again and he said it’s not moving fast enough. He’s also afraid of what it might do on its way out…scraping, tearing, etc. Plus, she’s really depressed. That concerns me a lot.

I’m trying to decide if i should have her hanging tumor removed. They asked again.

Your thoughts?

Thank you!

Kristen

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff — well, i was more hopeful this morning when they said the object had moved some but now it looks like she’ll need surgery. Just talked to their vet again and he said it’s not moving fast enough. He’s also afraid of what it might do on its way out…scraping, tearing, etc. Plus, she’s really depressed. That concerns me a lot.

I’m trying to decide if i should have her hanging tumor removed. They asked again.

Your thoughts?

Thank you!

Kristen
@Dr. Jeff — forgot to say that the vet said the depression could be the pain meds and the environment. No gas distention anywhere.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Kendi came through her surgery fine. I chose NOT to have her tumor removed. She's coming home tomorrow, yay!

Thanks again for the help.

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YAY!:snowman:?

You're welcome Kristen.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom