• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog in hospital with parvo

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
My dog is hospitalized with Parvo. 9month old Rottweiler. Today he’s feeling a bit worse with diarrhea. I don’t know what to do and I know these symptoms can be treated holistically. I need advice!
@Dr. Jeff, @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Sara

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
He didn’t have a fever yesterday when we brought him in. They will check again this afternoon. As far as white cell count we imagine it’s very low which is why our vet hasn’t measured it and her experience with this. I’ve been with him for almost a few hours. He does have diarrhea and it does seem to be bloody now (doesn’t seem too bloody). He is definitely nauseous even with the medication. He had to be sedated yesterday when they hospitalized him.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Elizabeth.

I'm sorry to hear about Koa. :(

If he didn't have a fever and his white cell count was not checked, I wonder if he had a parvo or fecal test (for hookworms)?

Why was he sedated when he went to the vet?

If you observed any diarrhea when you were visiting, what did it look like?

Is he vomiting, and in what way is his nausea expressing?

Has he been offered food or water?

Also, Dr. Cooney has done some wonderful webinars about parvo which you'll find in the member area. Here's some more info. from him:

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff,

Koa did test positive for Parvo. Could he have hookworms as well?

Apparently he was resisting when they were trying to put the catheter in so they ended up sedating him.

The diarrhea was just watery, smelled really bad and he did have some blood. It looked mixed with water though.

He has the cone on so when he begins to gag he lifts his head up and looks up and ends up swallowing it.

No food or water. They might try tomorrow. He’s holding up.

He is on two different anti nausea medications, Rimydol, IV, and Penicillin

I will go ahead and watch the webinar. We have never dealt with this before so it was such a huge shock

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, he could have hookworms as well.

The odor of the stoool is characteristic of parvo.

Rimadyl (which is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory/NSAID) can induce nausea (and bleeding).

Side Effects of Rimadyl for Dogs

Rimadyl can have have serious side effects that owners need to be aware of, especially for long-term use. The most common problems associated with Rimadyl are related to the GI tract.

GI complications include:

Vomiting
Diarrhea
Ulcers

Liver and kidney side effects are rare, but when they do occur they are very serious. Most vets recommend running regular blood work to monitor the liver, especially in older dogs and in dogs that take Rimadyl long-term.

From AKC:
How do you tell if your dog is having an adverse reaction to Rimadyl? Here are some symptoms to look out for:

Change in appetite
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Black, tarry, or bloody stool
Changes in behavior (increased or decreased activity, changes in coordination, aggression)
Seizure
Increased or decreased drinking
Urinary symptoms (change in frequency, color, or smell of urine)
Skin symptoms (scabbing, itching, or redness)
Yellowing of gums, skin, or whites of the eyes (jaundice)

If you notice any of these symptoms or any other change in your dog, call your vet immediately. Adverse side effects can have serious repercussions. The sooner you catch them, the sooner your vet can help get your dog back on the right track.

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
My goodness. I didn’t know that about Rimadyl. They weren’t really watching him all day. I was the one there with him. I just knew something wasn’t right.

I did notice his eyes were beginning to look a bit yellow. Now he has a whole night on his own.

This is so devasting. Anything else I should look out for? I’m going to be there first thing in the morning. I don’t know if I can do anything else right now

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes! There is one very important thing to do tonight.

Get some sleep!!

Rest up and restore (and rebuild your cellular energy) in order to be Koa's happy advocate tomorrow!

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff,

Is something I can ask, is to stop the Rimadyl?

I did call the vet on call yesterday when I first read the message and her response was that there shouldn’t be any side effects from it because it’s given in such small amounts. However, Koa was only gagging what was left and he wasn’t in as bad condition with the diarrhea until that night he was admitted.

Spending the day with him I did notice he would tremble and twitch a bit.

I did tell the vet.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic that she is so responsive to your concerns.

Part of working well with your vet (and maintaining a good relationship), that will help you support Koa, is letting her do what she feels is right.

At least they're using alow dose and she knows that you are concerned with the use of the drug.

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you so much Dr. Jeff! You have been so helpful.

I would like to add here that Koa was given 3 shots of the Parvo and still got it. He first began with vomiting and we noticed that he didn’t want to eat or drink anything.

When we took him in to the vet that night he developed diarrhea (still not sure if it was because of the Rimadyl) and had some blood as well.

Today, he was able to get up but became nauseous and laid back down in his cage. The vet told me that he did eat a little bit.

Tonight will be critical for him to determine if we are able to bring him home Saturday. Poor boy is all alone in that cage.

Last night, I did the reiki meditation and it brought me peace. Today, I did it while I was visiting him and I got him to lift his head and chest up and look at me. I will continue do so this tonight so that I can connect with him.

Overall, he did look better than yesterday. I am very hopeful and will continue praying??

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your update Elizabeth. I was so glad to hear when we chatted that Koa is a bit better.

Do you happen to know at what ages he got the 3 parvo vaccines?

Let's pray for an even better Fri. for Koa.

Update us after you visit.

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
I’m with Koa today. He has been up and definitely feels better.

He chewed his catheter this morning and hasn’t wanted to eat or drink anything.

Yesterday, he had a little bit of food. Today none.

They will decide if they will put another bag in.

I was reading up on hookworms and that was something he experienced with symptoms.

His under eyes are red and have been for around 3 weeks now.

I just tried feeding him. He did eat a little bit now he’s vomiting again. He is trying to lick his behind as well.

Any insight into this?

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
I am still waiting for them to get a catheter in, they’ve been so busy. Pretty frustrating.

Is there any other way to keep him hydrated? He also doesn’t like the catheter being put on him and I’d rather not have him sedated.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Sometimes the right homeopathic medicine can help them rehydrate, if you connected with any I suggested.

Since he vomited the food, giving water may not work. You could offer ice cube chips and see if he can keep those down. You can even make chicken bone broth and freeze it.

Dr. Christina

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
I am currently on that.
Is it possible to get sick from the ammonia? It wreaks in the room he is isolated in and I feel like I can even taste it and smell it still.

Is that bad for the dog as well?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
While it may not be the best, it is necessary because of how contagious Parvo is. Do you have an air purifier at home? Ask the clinic if you can put it in the isolation ward.

ElizabethCh

All-Access Member
Registered
No, I do not:( Goodness this has been so stressful. I can only pray. And I’m the town I live in there aren’t any stores that sell the air purifiers.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom