• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Do dogs know...

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
I have a very picky eater (14 yo pup with MVD). He’d eat raw from time to time but recently he mostly loves grilled beef. he seeks cold and paws are always warm to the touch. I tried giving him cooling protein (ie fish, rabbit...) but he just won’t eat. He used to love fish and duck but just not anymore. For the sake of testing his appetite and preferences, I presented both warming and cooling protein at the same time and he’d always choose warming protein (beef and lamb).
My question is...do dogs know what type of protein they’d need when they need it? Do they do that in the wild? If he’s truly “too hot” do I use the tough love method (which I don’t prefer since he has MVD) and force him to eat cooling protein?

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
I'd also reached out to Dr. Morgan, who is an expert in pet nutrition. This is her answer:

"No, let him eat what he wants. He may be "wet" from the MVD and decreased circulation so he is looking for better Qi tonics, which are the warming proteins. Maybe try venison which is drying."

I will make some "Qi Tonic" food from her book and will update y'all.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom