• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Diet for cats

E

ECaron85

This one is for my Persian cat Oliver, he started vomiting unchewed kibble constantly so I made the switch to Honest Kitchen but he wouldn’t eat it so I bought Merrick back country raw infused but he’s only eating the raw nuggets out of the food...lol so my question is what is a good raw food for picky cats? I want to get him on a healthier diet with Gidget now that I am aware how bad kibble is.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Cats have a reputation for being finicky, and it is true that they are more selective about food than most dogs. One cat vet describes cats as "cautious, suspicious, and particular" regarding food choices. Cats learn in kittenhood what food is acceptable, and behaviourally they are more rigid about the type of food that they prefer than dogs are. This is believed to be a useful adaptation for a small predator, as they learn what food in their area is safe and available.

These innate preferences can make changing a cat’s diet difficult. In addition, cats should never go without food for longer than 24 hours, as it is stressful to their metabolism. When I transition cats to a new food, I follow a simple procedure, emphasizing patience and habituation.

First, decide what kind of diet you are comfortable feeding. Raw is excellent, but it can be so foreign to cats that transition may be difficult. In such cases, dehydrated raw or canned may be better choices. You don’t have to jump to raw straight away. You can change to canned or dehydrated raw, than gradually add in cooked raw, then eventually move to raw. If you are throwing away a lot of food, you may get discouraged, so it is helpful if you find a product that is available in small quantities that can be frozen.

Next, start by putting a small amount of the desired food next to the familiar food. This is habituation, and teaches the cat that the new food is not poison. Do not mix it with the old food; you are not trying to trick the cat into eating it. You can decrease the amount of the usual food by about a quarter so that kitty has a good appetite. If your cat is thin, don’t decrease the usual diet, but most cats are overweight. Watch for when your cat starts to nibble at the new food. Then you can increase the new food slowly, until they are just eating the new diet.

There are some tricks to encourage the cat to try the new food, aside from habituation.
If your cat likes tidbits of people food, try offering the new food in that context. You can warm it up slightly, or chill it, if that is preferred, and offer it as a treat.
Some cats prefer to have human company while they eat, others prefer to be alone.
Most cats prefer to eat away from other animals, in a quiet area.
Some cats prefer certain types of bowls or plates.
If you can mange small, frequent feedings, that more closely mimics how cats eat in the natural state.
Cats can learn food aversions, associating particular food smells and textures with unpleasant experiences. Be careful not to frighten your cat while eating, or force them to eat a food.
Good luck! I have transitioned four of my own cats to raw, and helped many clients with the change. Patience is essential; cat diet change is a marathon, not a sprint!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the great post!

In addition to Dr. Sara's tips, there are 3 flavor enhancers that you can sprinkle on any food to entice Oliver to eat.

First are Wysong Dream treats that are available in many pet shops and online. These come as round treats that can be easily crushed into a powder.

Second are Bonito flakes available locally in some grocery stores.

Third is the Fortiflora probiotic available through your vet and some online sources.

You can use any or all of these three to help Oliver accept his upgraded diet.

Patience and perseverance with his higher vitality new diet will pay off!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Healthier cats switch more easily, so go down the list of early warning signs and write out a timeline of any ailments she has had in the past. He may need some homeopathic treatment to become healthy enough to have a good appetite for a variety of foods.

Were there any possible triggers just before the vomiting of the dry food began?

In general, I like to powder the dry food in a coffee or herb grinder (or hammer on plastic bag) and sprinkle it on top of the new food.

Continue to look for any treats he likes - if Bonito flakes not available to you (often in Asian markets), Kitty Kavier is a more expensive packaging of it - fine to test if he loves it.

Try tuna. While an all tuna diet is not sufficient and can cause severe problems with the fat under the skin, using tuna as a topping, even every day, is not a problem.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom