• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Determining dosing frequency

NanW

Registered
When using a remedy at higher potencies (even 30C?) that may potentially cause aggravation in a pet, how do we discern the difference between an aggravation response and the pet’s BEAM “dropping” to where you would follow up by giving a dose again?
Example: Low Rider received his Thuja 30C. There was somewhat of a reduction in appetite and energy after a few days. I then gave a second dose. His appetite noticeably diminished and when he attempted to lick puréed chicken off the plate it was as if he was licking mostly air, not chicken. He became more unsteady, his energy dropped, his sinus discharge increased and the nasal congestion impacted his breathing. I gave him another dose this morning. Today he’s had a decent appetite, is purring more, stretching horizontally, seems to have somewhat increase in energy. Was this scenario possibly a combination of “categories”

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Nan!

A true medicinal aggravation, from too high of a potency or too big of a dose, typically is seen within hours to a day or two. It is usually a worsening of one or more of the symptoms that were already present.

In Low Rider's case, if appetite symptoms were never present in his case, I would not consider this to be an aggravation.

In addition, BEAM (and especially energy) worsening is not typically from an aggravation as much as it is evidence that the dose acted at a deep level.

The best thing to do at this point is wait and watch. Ideally, you will see gradual improvement of the problematic symptom along with overall improvement.

This is also a marvellous time to monitor closely for new symptom clues that his body may give you. These symptoms are important pointers to the next remedy he may need.

If his BEAM continues to worsen, then have him checked out by your local vet to make sure that nothing else is going on.

It is also

NanW

Registered
Great question Nan!

A true medicinal aggravation, from too high of a potency or too big of a dose, typically is seen within hours to a day or two. It is usually a worsening of one or more of the symptoms that were already present.

In Low Rider's case, if appetite symptoms were never present in his case, I would not consider this to be an aggravation.

In addition, BEAM (and especially energy) worsening is not typically from an aggravation as much as it is evidence that the dose acted at a deep level.

The best thing to do at this point is wait and watch. Ideally, you will see gradual improvement of the problematic symptom along with overall improvement.

This is also a marvellous time to monitor closely for new symptom clues that his body may give you. These symptoms are important pointers to the next remedy he may need.

If his BEAM continues to worsen, then have him checked out by your local vet to make sure that nothing else is going on.

It is also
Thank you, Dr. Jeff. These are helpful interesting articles which will take some time to assimilate. I’ll pause questions for now & reread several times.
Low Rider’s BEAM has improved- good appetite, increased energy and interaction, giving and receiving/requesting (and always good natured as long as we’ve had the pleasure of his company). Keeping an eye out for new symptom clues.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Nan.

Fantastic that Low Rider's BEAM is better!

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff, understanding correct dose and potency seems to be a big learning curve for me. Please help me understand my situation with Sera my cat. In the past we had used nux vomica as the remedy alleviate all of Sera's symptoms but mostly her back pain. I started at 30C and eventually went up to LM1 with our vet's guidance. I stopped it when all of a sudden her symptoms worsened. I most likely had given her too much. She recovered and I switched to homeopathic sulphur which didn't really do much but was recommended by our vet. Most remedies with Sera start out looking like they work only to fail after a few days or weeks. I recently started the nux 30C again. I seemed to be helping but it was hard to determine so I began the LM1 where we left off. This potency is helping but I'm afraid of giving too much or too often. This is where I need help. Sera shows fast improvement with 1 drop. She is able to sleep within 30 minutes of being dosed and her pain is much less. But over the course of the day she begins showing pain in her stiff back and restlessness and she hurts to the touch. I have tried waiting a full 24 hours or more before giving her another drop because I'm not sure if another drop at the end of the day is the right decision. Also, she begins having pain 5 hours or so after that first morning drop. I don't dose her again until evening. When I give her the next drop around 10 hours after the morning drop she again gets relief. Is morning and evening too much and will it bring us back to a worsening of all symptoms? Is 3 times a day too much? I'm not sure how to proceed.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Joan-

Yes, dose and potency can seem complex at first, but you will quickly embrace their importance and subtleties.

It's great that you're asking about this. Using Qs and dosing this way is called Hahnemann's "Advanced Methods" found in the 6th Organon. They describe how best to give homeopathic medicines and definitely can help you decide what to do.

The more sensitive a dog or cat is, the more important they become.

In Sera's case, how exactly are you dosing the Q liquid? Using a stock bottle, succussing the bottle then adding 1 drop into 8 oz. of water? How much of the solution do you use? Are you making up a fresh dose twice/day?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom