• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dermititis on kitten?

C

Christie

Hello everyone,
On March 10, all three of my 5 month old kittens were spayed at the vet. I noticed a week later, Kissy was developing bald spots on each hamstring of her hind legs. They are now spreading in size back there and are bumpy/ liney. The vet told me from the pics I sent it could be a reaction from a flea bite. I don’t have any fleas but could have happened at the vet. Could this be true, also she was on Buprenorphine & Acepromazine and wonder if there was a reaction that started from those meds? (Discontinued use 4-5 days after surgery.) I can’t think what else this could be from. She seems to briefly nibble at it only before bed sometimes while cleaning herself. Below are pics from today.

Kittens are on an at least 85% raw Darwin’s diet. Plus Medical Medium recommended MaryRuths probiotics & Bixbi digestion & sprinkle of lysine. Should I add more nutrients or wild blueberries or something as well- nutrition wise?

I ordered the pictured HawaiiPharms Antialllergy but am skeptical to use it as it’s so vague. Also have Skin & Coat Bixbi which I’ve administered 1/4 of an 1/8 tsp starting today, and stopped the Digestion one. (They all have the same mushroom based ingredients so I’m not sure the difference, but I did stop the digestion & lysine during their vet visit, and all their herpetic symptoms came back—- closed one eye, increased snotty nose—- prob from stress but now are ok again, TG).

I also rub a small amt of coconut oil (?) on it 2x a day but she licks it right off. This is helpful?
The vet sent me Cheristin. I don’t want to use it but please let me know what else I can do.

Thanks ahead for suggestions and please stay safe.

C8E9452D-0B07-4529-8733-BA90EE43E2CE.jpeg

F8862B01-2E29-4797-A523-612A7C87A202.jpeg

158FAF5E-CA23-4904-A3CB-28C99A4632B0.jpeg

EF8EDA8A-4F31-493F-AE93-8339CD2965BE.jpeg

998F70E5-F963-4361-8B14-72ACFCAFD19D.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Christie-

Thanks for sharing these pics of your adorable kitties.

What you are doing is fine.

Try spraying and/or massaging in magnesium oil into the red areas.

It is absorbed very quickly and can help them heal.

Did they receive any vaccines in the past few weeks (before this started)?

If you haven't already used one, a flea comb can be very helpful to both stimulate their skin as well as detect any fleas (prior to Cheristin or any flea "killer" chemical).

C

Christie

Wow this is incredibly helpful. More than my actual vet as usual ?.

No to vaccines. They were required to do one more but since taking over ownership I have not & will not finish them up

Just ordered my comb and magnesium oil which I love but am away from home right now. Hopefully this will do the trick. TY!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Christie.

Please let us know how it goes.

C

Christie

One last thing, is it all possible the meds from surgery gave her this reaction? We are still trying to tame it.

Thanks.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, anything, like medications, diet, stress, etc. can alter bacterial balance and trigger skin symptoms.

Try doing a few weeks/months of probiotics given in rotation. Meaning that you choose one, then use another when it runs low.

Here's a good one to start:

Some potential benefits:

1. Increased natural resistance to infectious disease and decreased fungal overgrowth
2. Reduction of some allergic reactions
3. Use after antibiotic
4. Improve digestion and increase nutritional benefit from food
5. Assistance with bowel movement and diarrhea
6. Immune System Boost
7. Improved resistance to food poisoning
8. Production of needed nutrients
9. Skin and ear improvement

C

Christie

You read my mind Dr Jeff! ??‍♀️
I’ve been using Mary Ruth’s for a couple months but smaller dosages (8-10 drops) but maybe increase it to 15 drops. And I will look into another brand now too.
Still using Bixbi skin and coat. I do feel like I’m getting somewhere.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom