• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Crystals in Dog's Urine

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Hi, my dog ‘s name is Kala. She is 4.5 years old. She is a Maltipoo, spayed, and BEAM is normal.
She weights 8 pounds.
Her current diet is freeze dried Stella Chewy patties. A rotation of beef, chicken and lamb she eats 3.5 -4 patties per day.
She is current with distemper, Bordatella and Rabies vaccines as of last week.

I’m writing because a recent urinalysis test is showing crystals in her urine. The Vet said she needs to eat different food to resolve the issue. I’m open to changing the food, but I would like to know of any natural ways to help resolve this issue for her. Or if you know what could be causing the issue.

I have not received from the vet what food she needs to eat. I also searched the forum and the holistic website but I could not find anything under crystals.

Note: I stopped giving her the monthly anti heart worm, flea, & thick medications about 18 months ago, and that cleared her chronic tear infection.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Christina

@Dr. Jeff

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Also, I forgot to add that I am brand new to the forum and I have my reservations about all of the vaccines that are required but I am forced to continue, so that I can get my dog groomed.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christina and welcome to HA!

Thanks so much for making your first post.

Is Kala having any urinary symptoms?
I would like to know of any natural ways to help resolve this issue for her
Her body can (and will) naturally resolve the crystals and having some crystals in the urine can be within normal. Was the urinalysis repeated?
Or if you know what could be causing the issue.
Yes! The CAUSE is a purported underlying energetic imbalance.

There's more and more evidence that the physiological symptoms (physical) like crystals, urinary symptoms, etc. are secondary to changes at the energetic level. These subtle energy changes are being measured and better defined in people and we are just starting to do this in dogs.

For now, the most important things are increased her cellular energy and supporting her body while it does its job of re-balancing and healing.

You can do that by using structured water (which last night's webinar speaker called "plasma" water), and supportive supplements if needed (and they may not be).

Things like Micro-C from Vimergy, Cranberry Rx, d-mannose, etc. are all useful if there are signs of UTI.

The best way to start increasing her energy and healing ability is with a non-HPP processed raw food like Small Batch.

The other things that you can do right now are described in the Love Therapy post:

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr. Jeff!

Is Kala having any urinary symptoms?

No, she is not having any urinary symptoms that I can see and I'm home with her most of the time.
After the 3 vaccines given to her last Thursday, I have been concerned. I don't know why but I did not get a good feeling about my 8 pound dog given 3 different vaccines at once.. She was completely lethargic after the appointment, so I did an energy healing session for her, which restored her energy levels, but I do not want to continue with type of care.

I would like to know of any natural ways to help resolve this issue for her
Her body can (and will) naturally resolve the crystals and having some crystals in the urine can be within normal. Was the urinalysis repeated?

Yes, this is her second one. One in December and second one last week as a follow up (copies attached) In December she got sick while I was on vacation. She apparently ingested something she was not supposed to, so she was taken to the vet and that's how I found out about the crystals.

Thank you for the supplements, water and food suggestions. I will definitely try that. I was sensing I needed to change her food way before this came up.
I am so happy and grateful to have found this community. I have lots to learn, but this just feels right to me!

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 12.44.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 12.47.48 PM.png

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Christina, and thanks so much for sharing Kala's test results!

Since her urinary pH is Ok in the first test and because her crystals are not the common ones we often see, you may want to hold off on supplements and check her liver.

Has she had any recent blood tests?

Here's a vet article with lots of info. about the uric acid stones that sometimes form from these crystals:

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Yes, here is blood report from December. Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• Kala_LabReport.12.28.22.pdf
    101.8 KB · Views: 7

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing this info. Christina.

The results are perfect!

If the uric acid crystals persist, you might want to ask your vet about blood tests called "pre and post prandial bile acids".

This test and/or an ultrasound would be more sensitive ways to confirm that the crystals are not related to her liver.

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Thank you so much, so should I still change her food? The vet recommended an “SO diet food“. Anything has the word diet in it, I just don’t trust it.

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Thank you so much, so should I still change her food? The vet recommended an “SO diet food“. Anything has the word diet in it, I just don’t trust it.
I hit reply too soon ?
Is it possible that this could be a side effect of whatever she ingested in December?
She was taken to the vet and was given medicine to stop her from vomiting. She was dehydrated and she was also given metronidazole for parasites. Once her lab work came back and everything, except for the crystals in the urine, was good, I immediately stopped all the medications and she recovered within a week. She has been fine, but now I gave her 3 vaccines, which I wish I had not done, but I was feeling the pressure from the groomer salon to get that done before the next appointment. I guess I am just overwhelmed.
I am very appreciative of all of your support and guidance and I hope I’m not being a pest with all of these questions.

Thank you very much!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thank you so much, so should I still change her food?
IMHO, yes. Consider integrating a non HPP raw food which contains lots of heart (like Small Batch). This can help improve her mitochondrial function and cellular energy to help her body heal.
Is it possible that this could be a side effect of whatever she ingested in December?
Great question Christina! It is doubtful that this is a direct physiologic side effect.

However, it is very possible that this is part of an NWS (never well since) response to the poisoning.

Has anything shifted in her BEAM since the poisoning?

How about any other newer symptoms?

Had she had any urine tests in 2022 prior to the one in December?

ChristinaB

Community Member
Registered
Her BEAM seems normal. She has never been a food driven dog about once or twice a week she delays eating her meal for a few hours. She seems to want to eat more at night.
She is a good fetcher and is constantly bringing toys to play.
Unfortunately, no other urinalysis had been done prior to the one in December.

I will change her food and I was thinking about feeding her apples and cucumbers more often. She loves those quite a bit.
Thank you so much for all of your help and guidance.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom