• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Chinese herbal to stop bleeding

NanW

Registered
Our kitty with a tumor on his forehead near the sinuses has a drop of blood at his nostril. In one of either the forum discussions or one of the Monday night interviews there was a Chinese herbal that was mentioned that stops bleeding... Someone mentioned use with sarcomas. What was the name of this remedy? Is it appropriate for other tumor situations, and also nosebleeds?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes Nan! It's called Yunnan Baiyao. You can use it to slow or stop many different sources of bleeding.

This Chinese herbal medicine is so effective that it's even being used in some conventional vet emergency rooms and is sold by Wal Mart!

BTW- I don't advise buying any supplement from unverified sources like Wal Mart, Trader Joe's etc.

NanW

Registered
Yes Nan! It's called Yunnan Baiyao. You can use it to slow or stop many different sources of bleeding.

This Chinese herbal medicine is so effective that it's even being used in some conventional vet emergency rooms and is sold by Wal Mart!

BTW- I don't advise buying any supplement from unverified sources like Wal Mart, Trader Joe's etc.
Thank you for this information, Dr. Jeff. Where would we find this product if not from those sources?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Nan.

Yes, Yunan can be used daily as a preventive in addition to for more acute nosebleeds (and other kinds of bleeding).

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
I purchased both the powder and the capsules from Best Chinese Medicines for my emergency kit. I received the capsules but the powder is still on back order. By the way, Dr. Feinman would this have been good to use for Susie when she had a splenal mass before she had the surgery?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the update Liz.

Yes, Yunan can be great both before and after a splenectomy and other surgeries where there may be lots of bleeding.

NanW

Registered
Located Yunnan Baiyao thru epsilonacupuncture. com
There were many pet guardian reviews using it for a variety of conditions. If using on a daily basis would we need to calculate the dose by body weight? Each cap (probably in all encapsulated Yunnan Baiyao) is (point) .25grams.
Once we have correct dose for our animal’s weight, would a half dose 2ce/day be a better choice than 1 complete dose 1ce/day?
I’ve read different dosing duration recommendations. One recommended five days on five days off. What would be the general recommendation for period of time to consider for daily use.
This is apparently a protected formula in China.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Nan. Yes, I believe the dosing is based on body weight and should be divided into at least 2 doses/day.

Nan, for a kitty perhaps decide on the dosing frequency based on the amount and frequency of bleeding. Also, for any bleeding of the external tumor, you can also apply it topically.

I'm not aware of any research for its use in cats tho it is still used. In general, less is more in cats as they tend to be more sensitive to drugs, supplements, etc. @Dr. Jean may have more experience that she can share.

Intermittent use is my preference, and works well, but you can also use it continuously as per the Angell Memorial article posted earlier in this thread.

NanW

Registered
I’ll follow ‘less is more’ (regret that there’s not research with kitties :*( With stronger taste of Yunnan, would food/digestive system route diminish and slow effectiveness? Thank you!

NanW

Registered
Does anyone have suggestions on best method for shaving a furry tumor ... are there specific grooming tools?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
@jenbridwell may know about the grooming tools (she's a groomer and trainer).

Yes. I've seen kitty's who wouldn't eat Yunan, which limits its' effectiveness.

Fortunately, Yunan also works well on bleeding skin tumors.

MauraF

All-Access Member
Registered
I was using Yunnan Baio for approximately one year pre-splenectomy for my Joli. I purchased multiples of the Yunnan Baio All Natural Herbal Powder 4g bottles at Fully Stocked Yunnan Baiyao Store Online Retailer YNBY Capsule Plaster. I was always happy with the product and their service. Joli is 11 lbs. and would get one scoop (included with packaging) in each meal. I gave it every day. No one has mentioned that included with the powder is a very small red circular pill. This should be used in the case of an acute bleed only. Save them and put it somewhere safe in case it's needed. Many people inadvertently throw it away. Wishing you the best with your kitty.

NanW

Registered
That’s wonderful Yunnan Baiyao worked so well for Joli in preparation for the surgery. Thank you for the contact information and good wishes. It seems to be helping w/ the nose bleeds (which may be from the tumor itself). The store clerk in the shop where I bought mine said that the little red pill had stopped his wife’s excruciating hand pain in 5 to 10 minutes after she had injured it closing it in a doorway.

JamieK

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi. I don't have any at Earth Animal and the place I purchase them is for veterinarians only but here is the link to where I have purchase them in the past. But from what I have been told you have to be careful on where and who you get it form because there are a lot of fakes out there. Doc's correct me if I am wrong but I was told by A Time To Heal (where I have purchased) that this is a patented blend from one Chinese family for hundreds of years and others might not be as effective. Below is the link to A Time To Heal.
Hope this Helps
Jamie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, this helps a lot and you are correct, Jamie!

Did Dr. Bob or Kris point you to atimetohealherbs.com?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom