• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Chicken bone broth for dog with kidney issues

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff have a question regarding Cooper. We are now giving him special kidney diet that comes via precription. Could we give him some chicken bone broth to supplement or is that an issue when giving a low protein diet? @Dr. Jeff

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Mike, there's a lot of bad to say about "prescription" kidney diets, and concerning conventional vet care for perceived kidney issues. What the heck is going on with your sweet puppy? How did this happen? What makes you think that a healthy raw whole food diet won't normalize him? I'll bet that somewhere on this site is solid info about kidney "disease". I just don't buy into the idea that he is compromised and doomed to live a life with dead food. Sorry; it's late and I am a bit outraged...

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
@GinnyW thanks for the concern. But we discovered this with bloodwork and also internal medicine review. We spent a few hours going through it all with @Dr. Jeff a couple weeks back so he is well aware. My Q was about making the diet a little tastier by throwing in some chicken broth

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, Mike (and Happy New Year)!

The Darwin's raw kidney diet (which is what Cooper is eating Ginny) is not super palatable so a little chicken broth + the Aventi kidney complete we discussed is fine.

After a few more rechecks and homeopathic remedies to "fine-tune" his inner balance, his appetite should improve.

Please remind me if you've tried lightly scramble eggs (or eggs in any way)?

Also the Fortiflora probiotic (your vet may carry this), Wysong PDG and supergravy (a discount code is available in your member area) can be used to topdress the food to make it yummier.

BTW-Don't forget to use the chia water ("structured" gel water) which can help his kidneys work better.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
OK, thanks.... Still wondering how this young dog has become compromised. But it's not my business. Sounds as if you guys are way on top of it all. I still vote for the eggs, and for any raw meat, like juice, purée, as an adjunct and flavoring. My love to Cooper:)

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Congenital issue. Sadly his kidneys didnt develop in the womb. Its rare although less so in shih tzu’s. He used to throw up when he had lot of protein and now we know why. With his new diet he hasnt.

Thanks @Dr. Jeff . will get the other stuff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom