• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

CBD and Buprenex for final stages of cat stomach cancer

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
My cat, Lucy, is 13 years old and is I believe in her final days. She was diagnosed with stomach cancer this past Monday after a month of struggling, vet visits, etc. She has not eaten by herself in 5 days, but I have provided as much nutrition as possible via syringe feeding. The hope was that she would make a turn for the better when additional prednisolone was given as a last resort. I know steroids aren’t a great solution, but it was all that seemed to be left to try.

I have always euthanized my fur babies at home, but no one is available for two days to come help with that. I’d like to understand what doses of CBD are possible in this situation. I have found that 2mg seems to help a little. Can I give 3mg three time a day or is 2mg three times the the max? I’ve searched for a protocol for this situation but haven’t found much. What I don’t want is to cause vomiting and making things worse for her. My goal is to keep her comfortable until Friday so she can pass at home.

She was given Zorbium on Monday but it doesn’t seem to be working well anymore. I’ve been told she shouldn’t have more buprenex until Friday. Lucy is also getting fluids, b12, potassium, mirtazapine, cerenia.

Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Rochelle-

I'm very sorry to hear about Lucy. ?
I’d like to understand what doses of CBD are possible in this situation
Great question! You can gradually increase the dose based on how much (and how often) it will keep her comfortable.
I’ve been told she shouldn’t have more buprenex until Friday.
Oh, wow! If you have Buprenex, you may not even need to find an optimal dose of CBD. When the goal is to keep her comfortable until she is euthanized, perhaps talk to your vet about hospice care when Buprenex can be used as often as it is needed.

Oral buprenorphine provides an exceptional way to address end-of-life pain in cats. It can be used long-term in the cat, and can be delivered transmucosally under the tongue or into the cheek pouch. The starting dose for cats is 0.01 to 0.02 mg/kg given every 6-12 hours depending upon the pet's need.

@Gail Pope, I wonder if you'd like to share any thoughts about Lucy.

RochelleB

Community Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Jeff. The reason I was told no buprenex until Friday is because the zorbium should last four days, i.e. until Friday. Maybe I could still use buprenex on top of zorbium as long as I don’t over dose her. She has just had another 2mg of CBD and seems relatively comfortable. I may try bup at midnight as the CBD starts wearing off. I will ask my vet again if he is sure I can’t continue to give buprenex safely considering the situation.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Rochelle.
ask my vet again if he is sure I can’t continue to give buprenex safely
Perhaps ask your vet whether safety is more important than Lucy's quality of life.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom