• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat - Pulled tail, straining to poop, inability to control urination

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Merissa,
Thank you for your thorough discussion of Charlie's situation.
You can certainly learn to give enemas at home, and you can also learn to help Charlie express his bladder, if he is a cooperative chap. It is important to empty the colon regularly (at least every second or third day) and help him empty his bladder twice daily.
This is a good conventional discussion of megacolon:

As good hydration is important in minimising obstipation (constipation that cats can't pass on their own) subcutaneous fluids at home may be helpful, if Charlie is cooperative.

The supplements you mention can help with passing stools more easily. Work with your holistic practitioner to try different supplements in a stepwise manner. Changing treatments too soon can make it impossible to tell what is actually helping your boy.

Charlie almost undoubtedly has damage to the nerves to the colon and bladder. Appropriate homeopathic prescribing and acupuncture can both improve nerve function. The only way Charlie will be able to eliminate on his own if if his nerve function improves. The beginnings of intentional tail motion are a good sign, and massage helps stimulate nerve regeneration. You are also doing well to ensure that he has plenty of mental stimulation by taking him for walks at his own pace.
I hope this is helpful,
Dr. Sara

MerissaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Merissa,
Thank you for your thorough discussion of Charlie's situation.
You can certainly learn to give enemas at home, and you can also learn to help Charlie express his bladder, if he is a cooperative chap. It is important to empty the colon regularly (at least every second or third day) and help him empty his bladder twice daily.
This is a good conventional discussion of megacolon:

As good hydration is important in minimising obstipation (constipation that cats can't pass on their own) subcutaneous fluids at home may be helpful, if Charlie is cooperative.

The supplements you mention can help with passing stools more easily. Work with your holistic practitioner to try different supplements in a stepwise manner. Changing treatments too soon can make it impossible to tell what is actually helping your boy.

Charlie almost undoubtedly has damage to the nerves to the colon and bladder. Appropriate homeopathic prescribing and acupuncture can both improve nerve function. The only way Charlie will be able to eliminate on his own if if his nerve function improves. The beginnings of intentional tail motion are a good sign, and massage helps stimulate nerve regeneration. You are also doing well to ensure that he has plenty of mental stimulation by taking him for walks at his own pace.
I hope this is helpful,
Dr. Sara
Dear Dr. Sara,

Thank you so much for replying to my quest to help our cat Charlie. I will try my best with the enemas. Thank you for explaining that he should empty his colon every second or third day and that the bladder twice daily. Very helpful information. Thank you for the link to the MegaColon article.

I will be making sure Charlie goes to get more frequent acupuncture. Also making sure that massaging to stimulate nerve regeneration will be a regular thing. I will be working more closely with our holistic practitioner to get Charlie the help he needs in a stepwise manner. You are right about changing treatments too soon and how it can be impossible to tell what is working. I'll make sure not to get too treatment crazy. I need to calm down and take it easy.

Thank you so much for your support and guidance, I am feeling more confident. Have a great week Dr. Sara, I appreciate you!

Blessings,
Merissa

MerissaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Homeopathy, homeopathy, and homeopathy!!! (Acupuncture is a good idea too, but... homeopathy!!)
Hello Dr. Jean,

Thank you for your reply. I've purchased 3 homeopathic solutions by HAMPL Pet Formulas and applied them to his back between shoulder blades. I haven't been doing it daily. Do you have any recomendations as far as frequency or anything else to add etc? Are you familiar with DMSO dimethylsulfoxide? I have it in a gel form. I was thinking if it would be beneficial to apply the DMSO gel before the homeopathic solution in order to get it to absorb quickly and deeper? I've read it's one of the properties of DMSO, it draws anything at the surface deeper into tissues.

Holistic Animal Remedies where I purchased the HAMPL Formulas from recomended these which I have with me. This info from their website:
  • HAMPL MegaColon 200-1 50ml (1.7oz)
    Energetic formula:
    Plumbum Met (Dilution: 10M) (impacted feces)
    Nat Mur (Dilution: 12C)
    Aesc Glab (Dilution: 12X)
    Ars Alb (Dilution: 30C)
    Asafoetida (Diltuion: 4X, 200C) (reversed “peristalsis” wave-like muscle contractions of stomach and bowels)
    Large & Small Intestine Sarcode (Dilution: 30X)
    Calc Fluor (Dilution: 12X, 6x)
    Total Colon system sarcodes (Dilution: 30X)
    Muscle sarcode (Dilution: 30X)
    Mag Chl (Dilution: 30C, 200C)
    Nux Vom (Dilution: 30X) ( help with straining and potential rectal prolapse)
    Alumina (Dilution: 6X, 30X, 2M)
    Abies Nigra (Dilution: 30C, 1M, CM)
    Nerve Spinal Sacral Plexus Sciatic (peroneal) nerve disorder sarcode (Dilution: 1M)
    Nerve Spinal lumbosacral (Dilution: 12C, 10M)
    Opium (Dilution: 6X, 12X) (constipation – diarrhea alternating, or fecal impaction)
    Beryllium Met (Dilution: CM)
    Sal Marinum (Dilution: 6C, 10M) (constipation)
    Magnesium nosode (Dilution: CM)
    Sepia (Dilution: 5X, 30X, 200X) (prolapsed bladder, uterus or vagina, cystitis, obstinate constipation, rectum disorder, urine incontinence, infantile diarrhea)
    in 20% USP alc. in purified water.

~ Often the pets is needing to maintain good muscle tone, along with the need to strengthen the nerves, the colon and large and small intestines, symptoms of – obstinate, obstruction, intestinal paralysis, or from spinal deformities and damages, rheumatoid arthritis disorder.

• HAMPL Internal Damages (Repair) 169-1 50ml
    * Bladder or bowel Issues – nerve damages causing control issues to part of complete paralysis, intestinal obstruction.
    Energetic formula:

Organ Sarcode –
    Bladder Sarcode (Dilution: 30C, 10M)
    Sphincter Sarcode (Dilution: 1M)
    Gallbladder Sarcode (Dilution: 30C)
    Urea Plug sarcode (Dilution: 30C)
    Nerve Sarcode (Dilution 30C)
    Nerve Spinal Dorsal Lumbar organ sarcode (Dilution: 4X, 6X, 30C, 1M)
    Bladder Sarcode (Dilution: 30C, 10M)
    Sphincter Sarcode (Dilution: 1M)
    Gallbladder Sarcode (Dilution: 30C)
    Urea Plug sarcode (Dilution: 30C)
    Nerve Sarcode (Dilution 30C)
    Nerve Spinal Dorsal Lumbar organ sarcode (Dilution: 4X, 6X, 30C, 1M)
    Muscle Torso Urogenital Triangle sarcode (Dilution: 12X, 10M) (muscle for urination)
    Causticum (Dilution: 10M) (paralysis & spasms of the neck of bladder)
    Ruta Grav (Dilution: 30C, 10M) (stricture of rectum, alternating constipation with mucous, froth stools, discharge of blood with stool), urination difficulty-paralysis, sciatica)
    Cantharis (Dilution: 12C, 10M) (spasmodic stricture with constipation with retention of urine, neuralgia, cystitis, bladder infection prevention or relief)
    Am Benz (Dilution: 200C)
    Asafoetida (Dilution: 4X, 12X, 30X, 200C, 1M, 10M) (reversed “peristalsis” of stomach and bowels)
    Sepia (Dilution: 5X, 30X, 200X) (prolapsed bladder, uterus or vagina, cystitis, obstinate constipation, rectum disorder, urine incontinence)
    Alum Met (Dilution: 2M)
    Plumbum Met (Dilution: 1M) (rectal pain, prolapsed anus with paralysis , constipation, intestinal obstruction)
    Eel Serum (kidneys) (Dilution: 200C)
    Arnica (Dilution: 4X, 30X) (initial damage through injury and shock to body)
    Dulcamara (Dilution: 1M) (bladder disorder, muscle pain, paralyzed limbs with urinary difficulties, neuralgia)
    In 20% USP alc. in purified water.
    ~ Working on the repair and restoration of function of – bladder paralysis, bladder spasms, stricture of rectum or bladder, and paralysis of the intestinal muscles, rectal pain, prolapsed anus with paralysis, paralysis or prolapse of the rectum (anus) and sphincter causing the inability to go to the toilet and release stools and urine causing acute or chronic constipation or urinary blockage etc.
    ~ Can be brought on by spinal cord nerve damage or surgical damages procedures, car accidents.
    Which is an emergency situation if unable to release urine within 24 hours.
  • HAMPL Nerve Pain & Damages ~Disc 169-3 formula 50ml
May be of benefit for Disc injury, Nerve pain and damages, Joint Repair
Energetic formula:

Hypericum (Dilution: 1M,10M) (nerve pain, nerve damage repair)
Aconite (Dilution: 1M, 10M) (resolves sudden shock)
Gelsemium (Dilution: 200C) (loss of power of muscular control, muscle pain, spasms, paraplegia)
Organotherapy therapy –
Nerve sarcode (Dilution: 30X)
Parasympathetic sarcode (Dilution: 4X)
HAMPL Vertebra Disc 92 formula (spine stress, perforated disc, inflammation and pain)
HAMPL Joint Repair 190 formula (dislocation and weakness damages, tears)
HAMPL Sciatica Repair 158 formula
In 20% USP alc. in purified water.
~ May be of benefit when acute pain and nerve damages, disc inflammation, joint damages (dislocations), ligament tears, muscle and nerve strains acute damages – knee, shoulder, hip.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Merissa

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Hi Merissa! Well, technically, combination remedies like those--that contain many remedies, many potencies--are not truly homeopathy. I think the body can get very confused about what to do with that.

Personally I have used high-potency Hypericum to excellent effect for injuries like this. A friend in California accidentally ran over his own dog, who was paralyzed for 6 weeks with no improvement. After remedy, he was up and about in a couple of days. Of course, the vet insisted that it just took that long to heal with the steroids etc. and remedy had nothing to do with it. That's called "hubris." :p We know better!!

With homeopathy, an individualized prescription is always best. I give by mouth only. I haven't really ever seen results from topical use, other than something like arnica or calendula gel for superficial bruising, skin issues, and muscle aches.

MerissaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Merissa! Well, technically, combination remedies like those--that contain many remedies, many potencies--are not truly homeopathy. I think the body can get very confused about what to do with that.

Personally I have used high-potency Hypericum to excellent effect for injuries like this. A friend in California accidentally ran over his own dog, who was paralyzed for 6 weeks with no improvement. After remedy, he was up and about in a couple of days. Of course, the vet insisted that it just took that long to heal with the steroids etc. and remedy had nothing to do with it. That's called "hubris." :p We know better!!

With homeopathy, an individualized prescription is always best. I give by mouth only. I haven't really ever seen results from topical use, other than something like arnica or calendula gel for superficial bruising, skin issues, and muscle aches.
Hello Dr. Jean,

I am glad to read your feed back. Thank you! If only I knew this before I purchased these remedies from Australia, cost me a pretty penny!

I want to try the high-potency Hypericum! Any recommendations and dosage? Your friend's poor dog? Happy to hear he got better!

Dr. Jean do you have a recorded segment here on Holistic Actions speaking on homeopathy? I'd really like to watch or hear it.

Thank you again so much,
Merissa

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
No, I'm not the homeopathy expert here, Dr. Jeff & Dr. Christina are the homeopaths, and would be better able to advise you how to proceed. I pretty much know enough to be dangerous! :redface: It's not always easy to get the highest potencies; I'd really recommend consulting with an expert!

MerissaR

All-Access Member
Registered
No, I'm not the homeopathy expert here, Dr. Jeff & Dr. Christina are the homeopaths, and would be better able to advise you how to proceed. I pretty much know enough to be dangerous! :redface: It's not always easy to get the highest potencies; I'd really recommend consulting with an expert!
Dr. Jean,

It just so happens that I found a bottle of Hypericum perforatum 30c by Boiron at home? as well as organic St. John's Wort capsules with dried stem, leaf, flower 700mg by Nature's Way. Thank you for at least mentioning it. Any leads to something that could possibly help our cat Charlie with nerve regeneration especially herbal and from nature is very appreciated.

I wonder if Dr. Jeff & Dr. Christina would recommend a dose for Charlie..maybe I need some too?? I also have a mortar & pestle to crush the pellet if need be.

Thank you so much for your time and support,
Merissa

@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Merissa-

Dr. Jean do you have a recorded segment here on Holistic Actions speaking on homeopathy? I'd really like to watch or hear it.

You may want to start with some of the resources in your member area. , including full weekend seminars about introductory Vitality, Balance and homeopathy. @aruna I'd appreciate if you point Merissa to the homeopathy resource area and seminars.
I wonder if Dr. Jeff & Dr. Christina would recommend a dose for Charlie..maybe I need some too?? I also have a mortar & pestle to crush the pellet if need be.
Perhaps start with the acute remedies of Arnica and Hypericum. However, Charlie may need further individualization of a single remedy (like Dr. Jean said) prescribed after a full evaluation by an experienced, and well trained vet homeopath like:

MerissaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Hey Merissa-

You may want to start with some of the resources in your member area. , including full weekend seminars about introductory Vitality, Balance and homeopathy. @aruna I'd appreciate if you point Merissa to the homeopathy resource area and seminars.

Perhaps start with the acute remedies of Arnica and Hypericum. However, Charlie may need further individualization of a single remedy (like Dr. Jean said) prescribed after a full evaluation by an experienced, and well trained vet homeopath like:

Thank you so much for the recommendations Dr. Jeff. I will look into the Arnica and Hypericum and will visit both doctors websites, as well as the link Aruna posted.

I appreciate it so much!
Merissa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
What do you think about reducing his fiber intake?

Wow, sorry to hear about Charlie's difficult May so far.:( He's been through a lot for such a young kitty.

Am I correct that he had soft stool the day prior to the cisapride? I ask in order to answer your question specifically.

However, in general it's best to try more fiber (and evaluate the effect). Added fiber helps pets both with diarrhea as well as constipation partially because fiber is great for helping detox.

How much fiber is safe for him?

Fiber is super safe so don't worry about the exact amount. Maybe start with a pinch added to food and increase the amount based on the effect.

MerissaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello Dr. Jeff,
Thank you for replying to my message.
Am I correct that he had soft stool the day prior to the cisapride? I ask in order to answer your question specifically.
I went into my notes and looks like I made a mistake on the days. Here is the correction according to my notes:
5/12 Charlie went to the vets for an enema/extraction.
5/13 Charlie's stool was soft and oozing out in the morning. I also collected soft poop in his bed which tells me it came out overnight or early morning. I gave him a Cisapride that day though I recall it was later in the day.
5/14 No Cisapride

Fiber is super safe so don't worry about the exact amount. Maybe start with a pinch added to food and increase the amount based on the effect.
Thank you Dr. Jeff, I'll add a pinch of dried moringa powder which I dried and ground myself or let him nibble on his favorite cat grass. I was becoming afraid of fiber after hearing it from the traditional vets.

Another question, I've started to feed Charlie pate canned cat food and adding water or broth to it. About how much food should I give him a day with his condition? He has a big appetite but I worry about over feeding him, yet I don't want to under feed him.

Our cats love raw meat and Charlie especially. Is raw safe for Charlie with what's going on with his colon and motility issue? The vet I saw today said that raw would add too much bulk to his stool and he can't pass it.

Thank you @Dr. Jeff for your time and assistance. I appreciate you.

Merissa

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom