• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat peeing blood

Vani

Community Member
Registered
We have a cat who is urinating blood. My husband believes it may have been going on for a while, definitely more than a month. What can we do for her?

Dr.Jeff's response:
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's hematuria (medical speak for blood in urine).

Since at HA! we are focusing on correcting the underlying imbalance, and not just the symptom (which is not usually urgent BTW if BEAM is good), the first question is how is her BEAM? BEAM stands for Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood.

Also, lots of context is needed to answer this, or any, medical question. For example what exactly are you seeing (drops of bright red blood, black blood, pink urine, clots, etc.).

For this weekend you may want to focus on making her as happy as possible, with lots of purrs, extra water in her food, and starting a forum discussion about her.

A great place to start is with Dr. Sara's cystitis webinar from a few weeks ago (it is with the bladder and kidney resources over at the member area) and with searching the forum and this article about urinary problems in cats:

I hope to see you on the forum this weekend (or tonight!).

Gratefully,

Dr. Jeff

Vani

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff,

Thank you for your response. Luna is 4.5 year old female.

Her Energy, and Mood are good. Her Behavior is she pees more often than her brother, but she’s done that ever since we can remember. We didn’t realize that was odd since she had always seemed to do that. She still loves to play and cuddles all day. Her urine is more of a reddish/pinkish color, there may be small specks of red but it’s hard to tell. We can only see it when she pees on the side of the litter box. Her Appetite is good, we started her on raw food 2 weeks ago and about 1.5 weeks in she vomited all of her food, so I’ve been giving her plain cooked organic chicken breast with a little bit of raw meat/bone/organs since then. We get the raw meat/organ/bone cat food from a veterinarian that sells it at our local farmer’s market (non-gmo fed, no antibiotics, no added hormones). Her brother eats all of the raw meat without a problem.

Luna has always had a sensitive stomach, a year ago I gave them a dehydrated fish snack (only ingredient was a white fish) and she threw that up (through HA! I learned dehydrated is not a good option).

History: When we first adopted Luna and her brother Franky, they had stayed with a foster family and then we adopted them at around 9-10 weeks old. They were found by the adoption organization abandoned in a backyard without a mother. The first day we had them we noticed they had ringworm. We took them to the recommended vet and they gave them antifungals internally and sulphuric baths externally for 1-2 months. Now learning from HA! I realize those were toxic to their little bodies.

Luna and her brother both suffered from attacks of inflamed/oozy eyes as younger cats. The vet would treat it with topical antibacterial drops, topical steroid drops, and internal antibiotics. Later on the vet said it may be from a herpetic virus and she recommended an L-Lysine product. We used that and the inflamed eye attacks slowed. I then switched them to a cleaner L-Lysine product from Vimergy and they’ve never had the eye inflammation attack since.

Luna (and her brother) both have irritated gums, the conventional vet has recommended cleanings for them, but I didn’t do that. I wanted to find a better way for them. Once we resolve this issue for Luna, I’ll work on helping them with this gum issue (although through HA! I know it’s all related).

Dr. Christina recommended Vitamin C and helped me find a local holistic vet. But I’m scheduled to see the vet in 2 weeks. Right now I have started Luna on 250 mg of Vimergy Micro-C three times a day. I put a tiny bit of water in her food (she won’t eat it with too much water). She seems to have no negative reactions to the Vitamin C. She’s about 12-13 lbs.

Anthony William recommends Vitamin C, Olive leaf, tiny bit of Propolis, fresh oregano/parsley or Pau d’ arco for pets with UTIs and teeth inflammation (on his podcast). But I’m not sure on dosages and which supplement would work best for a cat.

I appreciate your response and the support from the staff and community so far. Any recommendations and tips are appreciated. Thank you ??

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, fantastic post Vanya! Thanks so much for taking the time to write and share it.

Wonderful that you realize that the gum dis-ease and urinary symptoms are related!!

There are lots of supportive supplements and information in the member resources.

However, most supplements are basically like natural versions of drugs designed to modify symptoms.

IMHO, the goal for Luna (and Franky) is resolution of their underlying imbalance which is creating the bloody (and frequent) urine.

Also, dehydrated food is not "bad". It's much better than dry (or canned). However, it's also not as good as fresh food.

food vitality scale.png

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi @VanyaS,

How is Luna today?

Vani

Community Member
Registered
Hi @VanyaS,

How is Luna today?
Hi Dr. Jeff,

Luna’s BEAM is overall good. My husband will clean the entire litter boxes this weekend so we can see if there is any new bloody urine or if it’s stopped.

After reading the article on urinary issues we did realize that Luna is the “smart” kitty who needs a lot of mental stimulation/play, more than her brother. So we have started incorporating more play time away from her brother.

We saw the holistic vet today and he provided a homeopathic tincture to give her to help her feel calm (non-alcoholic). He also recommended Feliway which is a synthetic pheromone spray to help her feel calm. Is there another spray you recommend or is this a good brand? I’m trying to stay away from synthetics if possible.

The holistic vet thinks that her brother Franky may be causing her some anxiety when he wants to play because he is bigger. He also recommended that we get 3 litter boxes. We were temporarily having two because we were transitioning them to the new litter robot. But I think we will keep both for now to see how it goes. We’ll get creative and get a piece of litter box furniture to hide the second one.

Also, what are your favorite raw food brands? Right now I’m giving them a raw food chicken mixture (meat, bones, organs) from a local pet nutritionist, it’s called Monarch Raw Pet Food: Monarch Raw Pet Food | Raw Dog Food | Raw Cat Food Diet

Thank you,
Vanya

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your reply Vanya.

Darwin's raw food is one of my favorites, but meat (especially parts that humans don't eat) from a local farm is even fresher and more vital (alive).

If you know and trust Monarch, it looks fine (I couldn't find any info about the source). Though you may also want to incorporate non-ground meats which will help keep her teeth in shape. Also, the more variety she will eat and can handle, the better.

BTW-Darwin's has a 50% discount on your first order for HA! All Access members. If you order from them, support@holisticactions.com will get you the code.

Vani

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for your reply Vanya.

Darwin's raw food is one of my favorites, but meat (especially parts that humans don't eat) from a local farm is even fresher and more vital (alive).

If you know and trust Monarch, it looks fine (I couldn't find any info about the source). Though you may also want to incorporate non-ground meats which will help keep her teeth in shape. Also, the more variety she will eat and can handle, the better.

BTW-Darwin's has a 50% discount on your first order for HA! All Access members. If you order from them, support@holisticactions.com will get you the code.
Dr. Jeff you mentioned that there was someone on the forum that knows of Chicken Farms in the US that we could contact for pet food (if I understood that well). What was her name? I prefer to find raw meat without additional ingredients if possible as my kitties seem to be sensitive.

I may hold off on the raw food for now as Luna threw up and I want to make things easy on her. But I will look into getting some in 2-3 weeks. I’ve been feeding her a little Safe Catch Wild caught Pacific Pink salmon (no salt added) in the morning and I make her instant pot cooked organic chicken breast from Costco with the broth from cooking (you mentioned adding broth from cooking or water to each meal). Her and her brother love the broth! She is still peeing blood so we just started giving her 1ml of celery juice twice a day through an oral syringe. We’re hoping this helps the UTI. If you have tips on doing this (dosage, size of oral syringe, technique) it would be really appreciated.

We’ve noticed that giving them the Vimergy Micro-C (250mg twice a day) has removed both Luna and Franky’s dark eye boogers! So we know there is healing and it may take time, especially since we suspect Luna has been suffering with UTI’s for a long time. Also, Luna’s sclera part of her eyes have been tinted red for a long time. We noticed that after starting the celery juice it tends to whiten for a period of time of the day. We’re hoping to see more continued healing.

thank you for your support! ????

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Vanya!

Sounds like she's doing well so far. Over time she will tolerate the raw varied diet.

Taurine and calcium may need to be added to her current non-varied diet.

Fresh food feeding is ideally varied. The balance is in the variety.

Also diet and supplements are not going to get rid of her underlying internal imbalance. They will support the body while it heals.

IMHO the root cause of her bloody urine (or any other symptom) is energetic, not physical.

Homeopathic treatment or Traditional Chinese Medicine treats the fundamental cause.

To learn more about energetic vs. pharmacologic healing, you may want to listen to my Medical Medium-based podcast with Kerstin from Quest for Healing. It comes out early (3am) Wed. We talk a bit about Pandora Syndrome with cystitis symptoms in kitties:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom