• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat diagnosed with HCM- had a blood clot & won't take medication

MatthewC

All-Access Member
Registered
My cat, Sagan, was just diagnosed with severe HCM. He developed a blood clot in his leg which led to the hospital visit. He is home now, but refusing to take his meds after the first day. He is very strong and aggressive when meds are involved, making it near impossible and I don’t know what to do.

Sex: Male
Neurtered
Maine Coon
Weight: 15 lbs
BEAM: good behavior, very loving (except for meds). Energy is low. Appetite seems fine. Mood appears sad
Diet: Royal Canin wet food, RAW brand dry food.
Medication: He is currently prescribed Clopidogrel, Pimobendan, Furosemide, Gabapentin and Rivaroxaban.

He is walking around fairly well, just has a limp. He is even jumping up on things 2-3 feet with little effort. I know he must be in pain, and I can see how sad he is not being able to live the vibrant life he had only a week ago. Bare minimum I would love to be able to get him to take his pain medication, but it is nearly impossible; liquid meds and he can smell it in the syringe if I approach and he hides away.

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
All you with experience medicating cats - chime in.

Matt is reaching out to find a homeopathic vet, maybe Dr. Jeff, who can help as soon as possible. They are also looking for any TCVM vets who are close enough to them. Sagan is OK in the car, so that is possible.

The great news is they are seeing this as an opportunity to create a health care team for their other, still healthy, cat as well. Proactive is always good.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes. Matt, I agree that working with a homeopath is what he needs most right now.

Since we can't individualize on the forum (it can take 1-3 hours and involves record reviews) you may want to call @dr_ judy herman, Dr. Sagrera, or Dr. Levy (aka the other Dr. Jeff):

In the meantime, add fresh (or freeze dried) heart, increase Sagan's, purring and sniffing in addition to petting him more (with a healing intention). Kirsten and I discuss these Happiness Protocol strategies a bit:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/quest-for-healing/id1539013370

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom