• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Calendula powder for raw ears and skin in pets

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
A wonderful product for inflamed areas is Wise Ways Calendula powder.
This can be used in moist ears, patted beside a recessed vulva, or dusted between inflamed toes.
It is gentle, anti-inflammatory, prevents chafing, and non-toxic if your dog or cat licks it.
It may be best to clean ears, vulva and toes carefully first if there is debris present.
Stay well,
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, this looks like the perfect thing for @AgnesB to use on Bella's raw and moist ears.

AgnesB

All-Access Member
Registered
I ordered the powder and managed to find the aloe Vera gel, however , Bella is rubbing the ear against the snow and it started bleeding. Bella was in distress when I was applying the gel and her legs were shaking last night. Not sure if that was the reaction to the pain or a fear of me putting something on her body. Since this has been going on for over 2 weeks and has gotten worse, I’m taking her to the vet today.

1D54C19D-B105-4C96-9237-B19E185B1E0E.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great. Let's see if they find anything going on aside from an ear "infection" associated with allergies.

AgnesB

All-Access Member
Registered
Rightfully so Bella has ear infection and yeast, cocci and rods. She was given an antibiotic orally as the infection was considered as severe along with a topical liquid. We haven’t started the antibiotic yet

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thank you for this information, Dr. Sara.
I have calendula powder that I may be able to make my own calendula powder. Should I mix it with something else/carrier?
Thanks!
Becca

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I wouldn't advise making your own powder. This powder is extremely soft and fine, and it would be hard to mill Calendula flowers and the other herbs to that degree at home. In addition, the vehicle is soft and non-reactive, and equally fine. Take a look at the ingredients; I doubt it is possible to make a fine powder from these at home.
Contains: Cornstarch, Arrowroot Powder, Bentonite Clay, Calendula Flower, Sage Leaf, Lavender Flower, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Essential Oils of Rose Geranium, Cedarwood, Sage & Tangerine.

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thank you for you for getting back to me.
I did not mill my own calendula, it is organic calendula powder from Mountain Rose Herbs, also very fine. My reference to making my 'own' was the blending, that was not clear. I get a lot of really nice product from Mountain Rose Herbs.
I had looked at the ingredients which is why I thought I could make my own. :)
Becca

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Ah, I see! That might work; I really don't know. You might contact them.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom