• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bones??

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
I feel like I keep asking the same question but based on everything I have always been taught about bones getting stuck in the throat, stuck in the gut.... I ask again...
I bought a 3+ lb whole organic chicken - all parts (except head and feathers included), I cut it into 4 parts for 4 meals, I cut each of the 1/4 into 2" cubes (only because I am still nervous) and fed it to Murphy. He crunched through the bones BRIEFLY

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Dana.

If your question is whether the bones are digestible by him, the answer is yes.

However bigger chunks would be safer because they should make him chew more thoroughly.

Just about anything can cause an obstruction choking including kibble, other components of commercial "safe" pet foods, rocks, toys, balls, etc.

I once saw a Maine Coon who obstructed from a fish eye in her Friskies canned food!

If you'd feel more comfortable, and Murphy doesn't chew well, you can also use raw ground.

The bottom line is:

Feed the freshest raw meats, organs, bones, glands, etc., in moderation, that you can afford, in maximal a variety (every meal can be different).

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dana.

If your question is whether the bones are digestible by him, the answer is yes.

However bigger chunks would be safer because they should make him chew more thoroughly.

Just about anything can cause an obstruction choking including kibble, other components of commercial "safe" pet foods, rocks, toys, balls, etc.

I once saw a Maine Coon who obstructed from a fish eye in her Friskies canned food!

If you'd feel more comfortable, and Murphy doesn't chew well, you can also use raw ground.

The bottom line is:

Feed the freshest raw meats, organs, bones, glands, etc., in moderation, that you can afford, in maximal a variety (every meal can be different).

Thank you! I am trying to incorporate more chuncks of meat as I have been told that this is better for their teeth?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Absolutely!

Bigger chunks are better for cleaning teeth, developing and maintaining jaw muscle function, and are even more nutritious (delicate enzymes can be destroyed by grinding).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom