• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Blind Dane in New Home

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
Many of you know Piper my 6 year old blind Great Dane. She lost her sight as a puppy from glaucoma and has done incredibly well over the years living in the same home. Last week we moved to a different house and I did as Dr Jeff said and gave her rescue remedy. I also put a calming collar on her and limited her to my bedroom that is on the first floor when I’m not home. It has a nice gate so she is not totally closed off with a door. She has her crate in there for familiarity as well as a calming bed that she really likes. When I let her out into the main part of the house she walks around checking everything out and is doing well but I notice her pacing around and not settling down except for trying to sit on my Golden’s head! It may be too soon to expect her to settle down but I was wondering if there is anything else I can give her? When she is in the bedroom she calms right down and sleeps. Maybe the rest of the house is just too big for her right now?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Congratulations on your new home Judy!

Aside from her wandering/exploring, how is her BEAM?

You may want to be dosing the Rescue Remedy 4-6x a day and whenever she seems restless.

Also, a lavender oil diffuser or one of the animalEO oils like Calm-A-Mile should help.

Here's the animalEO essential oil guide to help you choose any others you think might be good to use:

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
Congratulations on your new home Judy!

Aside from her wandering/exploring, how is her BEAM?

You may want to be dosing the Rescue Remedy 4-6x a day and whenever she seems restless.

Also, a lavender oil diffuser or one of the animalEO oils like Calm-A-Mile should help.

Here's the animalEO essential oil guide to help you choose any others you think might be good to use:

Thanks so much. Otherwise her beam is good and you should see how great her skin looks!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
A few thoughts.
Check with an animal intuitive.
Only let her out when you are absolutely with her and touching her - do that for a week, then try her on her own. If still pacing, do it for another week.

And be sure you are giving a LOT of rescue remedy - dilute and put in food, in mouth, on ear flap, on your hands as you pet Piper, etc.

Several possible flower essences - read the description and see if they fit. If not, read some of the other essence combinations to see if they may be better:
spirit essence - changing times

pet essence - new home -

Green hope - new beginnings -

Or get and read Bach Flower Remedies for Animals by Graham/Vlamis - you would need to determine the emotions you think are causing the pacing.

Dr. Christina

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
A few thoughts.
Only let her out when you are absolutely with her and touching her - do that for a week, then try her on her own. If still pacing, do it for another week.

And be sure you are giving a LOT of rescue remedy - dilute and put in food, in mouth, on ear flap, on your hands as you pet Piper, etc.

Several possible flower essences - read the description and see if they fit. If not, read some of the other essence combinations to see if they may be better:

pet essence - new home -

Or get and read Bach Flower Remedies for Animals by Graham/Vlamis - you would need to determine the emotions you think are causing the pacing.

Dr. Christina
Thank you. I really think she is just getting to know the new house and after some time she will settle down.

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
A few thoughts.

pet essence - new home -

Dr. Christina
I think she is beginning to relax

A62D3B72-C1C5-492C-A190-8F1BF5530F7F.jpeg

53320919-CA01-44C5-B5E4-76A0BB1B478E.jpeg

Carol L.

All-Access Member
Registered
Piper is beautiful. Just warms my heart to see her and see her resting so nicely in her new home. Thank you for sharing pictures.
Best to her and her family.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Piper is so beautiful @jumstead1023. And, she does look like she's settling. Even animals with sight take time to get used to a new home; Piper seems like she's doing well. Wishing you and Piper many happy memories in your new place! :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom