• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Black pepper

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
Last night Dr Dodd’s said not to ever give black pepper to dogs but any recipe with tumeric always said to add it so I’m wondering why?
Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Judy-

There are two things here.

1. Never giving black pepper for the reasons Dr. Dodds mentioned.

Last night's warning was probably given in case of hypersensitivity as there is no (know to me at least) reason not to use it.

The Holistic Pet Support arthritis supplement I use also contains a bit of black pepper and I've never been able to associate it with a problem.

2. Is black pepper needed in the turmeric recipes?

Nope!

Most of them have it to improve absorption of the curcumin based on older research and experience.

Here's one well known curcumin supplement that does not use any black pepper:

Click/tap here for more detailed info in your HMDM folder.

See 'ya for this coming weekend.

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
So golden paste (turmeric, coconut oil and black pepper) is not good for dogs? Or just that some dogs have the hypersensitivity and i is more of not knowing which ones would it? I used golden paste (with black pepper) to successfully treat a painful, inflamed lump on an old dog's foot...it ended up becoming necrotic, then drying up and falling off. But when I tried to give golden paste to his sister, it was diarrhea all the way. I figured to was the turmeric but maybe it was the black pepper.

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
PS: I have used Co Curcumin by Ayush Herbs with all of my dogs and never had a problem. I take it myself as well. I just looked up the ingredients and it does contain black pepper though.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Cassandra.

I'm not aware of any dogs having more of problem than as you described (individual sensitivity with vomiting or diarrhea).

Ayush is a great and reliable brand and if it works for you, great!.

As with any supplement, try to only use it intermittently for gentle support.

Antioxidants and most nutrients are most effective when you cycle through them, e.g. turmeric for now, vitamins C, D, E, SOD, and all of the super-foods mentioned the other night by Dr. Dodds (and which you can find in her slides) etc.

I hope to see 'ya online this weekend!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I checked with Dr. Dodds and it does seem to be a sensitivity. She said she has only seen bad reactions to pepper when it was mixed with the turmeric, not when fed in leftovers.

Cassandra is right - each animal is different. Might be good to try the mixture without black pepper, then if no problems but no improvement, add the black pepper.

I tried many different combinations of turmeric and only one (Prana by Temple Turmeric) ever helped me at all.

Dr. Chambreau

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom