• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Beef for cats?

C

Christie

Hello.

I come across not being able to find beef in the raw or dehydrated or freezedried form for cats. Is there a reason do you know?

Darwin’s, Honest Kitchen, Halo luv a littles...

Christie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christie-

In general, the scarcity is secondary to food chain problems. Meaning one or bottlenecks between living cows and your cat food.

Often related to people not staffing the unfortunately necessary businesses that are needed to make these foods.

However, I don't know specifically about these 3 companies.

Do you have any smaller family farms around you?

These are often good sources. Also, you can try different proteins as available.

Most kitties do well with a variety of meats, poultry, fish, etc.

Read over the food section of the Holistic Essentials introduction if you haven't already done so (login to read):

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 11.34.20 PM.png

AnneH

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Christie,

Answers has beef; there was a recent empower hour which featured their fermented food. My Perfect Pet has a lightly cooked beef; RAWganics has beef, also.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing that, Anne.

Some people, over the years, have claimed that cats do not do well on eating the meat of "big" animals because they do not hunt and kill deer, moose, etc, in the wild.

My experience is that each cat thrives on different protein sources. Some love beef, others do not. That is why, as Dr. Jeff said, it is so important t offer a variety of food.

I would also encourage you to use commercial foods only when you are busy, or as a variety. Integrating your cat into what you are eating keeps the ingredients high quality and seasonal along with learning what different foods are enjoyed.

Dr. Christina

AnneH

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks, Dr. Christina!

I never gave beef to the cats until I read that it's a good source for taurine to support their heart.
I look forward to making more of their food but sharing only some of my food ~ I'm a vegetarian :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom