• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Back leg ankle joint pain in mixed terrier 5 yr old

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff and DrChristina, my friend has her little 5 yr old mixed terrier who was jumping around and somehow hurt her back leg, she thinks it is her ankle joint. It is a bit better but she wants to start her on glucosamine chrondroiton, have you ever heard of Paw Labs, G- Max? She is starting her on Total Zymes to help her absorb nutrients and gave her Bryonia this morning to see if this will help, arnica did not.

Any thoughts on some products she can try for her dog who also has allergies too. Her dogs BEAM is good except for balance because of the back leg she has trouble putting pressure on it but she said it is slightly better it’s been 4 days now.Any thoughts....thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi JoAnn.

The first thing to do is to get a vet exam since it has not really gotten better in 4 days.

If they rule out everything more than a sprain, then she may want to give her some Arnica. Even though it's been 4 days. The highest potency she has, and ideally in water. Here's an article on how to use it:

If the Arnica doesn't help, then further individualization would be very helpful. Swelling, sensitivity, modalities, concomitants, etc.

Regarding supplements for allergies, the first question is about her diet. Is it fresh, commercial, etc?

Also, adding ~14 cup of the blueberry-kale smoothie helps many dogs with allergy symptoms. Here's the thread about it:

Also, the MoringaPet Balance supplement is awe-some for helping dogs and cats with allergies.

Further individualization would be important here as well JoAnn.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
What were the individualizing symptoms that had her give the Bryonia, Jo Ann, or was that your selection?

How is the lameness with heat applications, cold, motion, rest, exertion, etc?

What are the allergy symptoms? could they be diet or environmentally related? When did they begin? What makes them better or worse?

It may be time for her to begin working with a veterinary homeopath.

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Christina and Dr Jeff. I will share this with her. Her dog she believes injured herself because she was jumping up and down when her sister came over. That is when it started.

She started with Arnica at first but then saw Bryonia helped more only 2 days worth of dosing just once, and now her dog can walk on this leg but she will take him in to get the sprain or strain checked out. Thank you for the tips on the diet that needs to be changed. I did suggest that she seek a Homepathic vet if the condition does not change.

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr Jeff and Dr Christina, my friend brought her dog to her vet who examined the back leg and found much “damage” to ligaments from jumping while excited, and he did a manipulation exam saying weak muscles around the knee area making it pop in and out. She was very upset last night. No xrays done but said 10 days on ibuprofen, no stairs, crate poor Meadows and very limited walking???? If not healed or better she may need surgery to correct.

She went home had a good cry, and gave herself and her dog Aconite because she was so upset 1 hr later because Meadows was panting in pain again due to the exam started her on arnica as noted above.

During this 10 days of waiting to see if she needs surgery to correct what could help Meadows to heal badly injured muscles and ligaments, that may not heal, and cause knee joint to pop out? She may have to give ibuprofen if Meadows is in a lot of pain.

I hope I have this all right but I want to ask your thoughts on badly damaged ligaments possible a tear on muscles and ligaments supporting that lower joint so it does not pop out. Thank you so much.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom