• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Atypical raising of hackles upon meeting another dog?

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Bobby loves other dogs and wants to meet them ALL. Most of the time, it's pretty uneventful (typical sniffing, he's always a little excited and might be a little too eager with the sniffing, but he typically maintains composure. Will usually shy away from over-exuberant dogs.). Twice his hackles have raised when meeting another dog. This is very atypical for him. Just curious what this might mean (maybe just overexcited?) and if I should do anything about it.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Danielle! This could be a useful homeopathic symptom clue. Is Bobby being treated with homeopathy.

If not, and depending on the context of his other body cues (was his tail tucked or ears down?) it probably just means that these particular dogs made him uncertain. Did he then go on to play with them?

Just keep exposing him to other dogs and keep a close eye on his reactions to them.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
do record this in his health journal and think of anything that is different when that happened. Phase of moon, your mood, etc.
I would love to hear from our community and @jenbridwell
Dr. Christina

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
If not, and depending on the context of his other body cues (was his tail tucked or ears down?) it probably just means that these particular dogs made him uncertain. Did he then go on to play with them?
His tail and ears were up (tail wagging). If I remember correctly, the owner said that his dog was unsure about other dogs (the dog looked pretty timid). The dog was also much smaller than Bobby. I pulled Bobby away when I saw that the other dog wasn't comfortable. If the dog had been larger, Bobby probably would've been just as wary as the other dog. Bobby's not currently being treated with any homeopathy (that's next on the research list after homemade raw dog food), but I'm curious to hear how homeopathy might help him here.
do record this in his health journal and think of anything that is different when that happened. Phase of moon, your mood, etc.
I do keep a health journal, but don't recall anything unusual that day (but in the future, I'll take a moment to think about any connections). I don't remember projecting any particular mood. In general, I try to keep my energy in check around him because I don't want him taking on anything I might be feeling, especially if he's meeting dog (leash is loose, and I ground myself). All I remember thinking is, "that's very unusual." If I projected anything it was "please don't think my dog is dangerous because his hackles are up. he's just excited." :D

Thanks as always for the insight from you both!

jenbridwell

All-Access Member
HA! Faculty
Hey Danielle-

How old is Bobby? Is he intact? Are you aware of the ages and sex of the other dogs? Did the hackles go up just at his shoulders or all the way down his back?

Uncertainty is common in adolescents, and/or the other dogs could have been using body language or eye contact that was unnoticed by people. Generally, if hackles are up at the shoulders, the dog is trying to assert himself (very different from "be aggressive") by making himself appear bigger, and you might notice a higher head and tail carriage and a stiff body and tail (even if it's wagging). If the hackles are raised all or much of the way from withers to ail, this is a hallmark of uncertainty or fear.

Hope this helps you clarify!

Last edited:

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
@jenbridwell - Great info, thanks! Bobby is ~1.5 yo rescue GSD mix, male, neutered. The most recent dog was a mini Schnauzer type (I think he was a boy, don't know if he was neutered, nor his age). I can't remember the details of the dog it happened with first (or the extent of the hackling that time).

With the little Schnauzer, Bobby's hackles were definitely up at the shoulders, but then his harness gets in the way, so I don't know if the middle of his back was raised, and then he had a "butt puff." So, yeah, maybe it was uncertainty (I didn't get a "fear" vibe from him, because he usually expresses fear by avoidance, but we've only had him 7 months, so we're still learning). Could it be something as simple as that Bobby's still relatively young and has never seen a mini Schnauzer and was super curious/uncertain?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom