• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Aspergillosis - systemic. What can be done?

AmandaR

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm working with a 2yo German Shepard who has been diagnosed with systemic aspergillosis. She littermate/sister passed away 2 months ago from the same condition. Shepard has been perscribed Terbinafine HCl and voriconazole, which is making her lose her entire appetite, and now she's getting very weak.

Question - are these medications absolutely necessary or can homeopathy and other herbs/holistic approaches treat this?
Is there a specific Homeopathic vet that someone could recommend for this situation, or shall I search on the directories. This dog live in Honolulu.
Prior to this lameness that appeared (leading to the testing, leading to the diagnosis) the dog's BEAM was very good.

Thank you for any guidance!
Amanda

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Morning Amanda-

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this! Thanks so much for your work with helping this young pup recover from such a super serious condition. ?

Aspergillosis (and other fungal and bacterial infections) are usually secondary to some problem with the immune system.

It is truly tragic that her sister also passed away from this condition. I wonder if her vets happened to determine a source or other cause or if they did any genetic or immune testing? I ask because it is very, very rare for 2 related dogs to get this life-threatening condition and German sheps. can have genetic predispositions to immune problems.

In answer to your questions though, the conventional approach does indeed rely on these (or related) drugs. The article above mentions use of the drug posaconazole.

However, homeopathy has been clinically shown to help the body overcome just about every kind of infection. Including aspergillosis in dogs (which more commonly effects the nose):

Regarding your second question, I will ask my good friend Dr. Epstein about a vet homeopath who might be able to help.

Would this guardian (and her local vet) be willing to work virtually with a vet homeopath?

I'd also love to learn more about this important and highly demonstrative situation.

BTW-Were there any vet visits, possible exposures or other changes 3-4 months ago before her sister got sick?

AmandaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you so much Dr. Jeff for that great info and the references.

Yes, the guardians are happy to work with someone remotely/online. We look forward to your referrals! I did searches using the homeopathic practitioner directories, however those were of course searching for someone physically located in that area.

No, with the sister dog who passed, they did not do any genetic or immune testing; no source or cause determined.

Regarding your other question, yes - something did occur 3-4 months prior. The sister dog was doing perfectly well until she went to the vet and unknowingly to the humans, they gave the dog 5 vaccinations at one time. :(

We have a plan for them with many things through diet and herbs to support boosting the immune. Im reading through the forum here for other great immune supporting tips.

We are VERY grateful for your help with this.
Amanda
(Sama Dog)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Amanda. It's my honor and pleasure to be able to help in any small way.

BTW-I'm checking with a colleague of mine who may still be in HI to see if she is still there and taking new patients.

AmandaR

All-Access Member
Registered
Great! And I think what we really want is a homeopathic vet who does telemedicine / remote appt. So no need to be in Hawaii. Thank you Dr. Jeff!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Amanda!

The vet homeopath in HI just retired so I'm really glad to hear that a virtual consult would work!

Here's a few possibilities:

A good friend, colleague, great vet homeopath and adjunct HA! faculty @dr_ judy herman:

And:

AmandaR

All-Access Member
Registered
SUPER duper helpful, Dr. Jeff. Thank you so much!!! I'm sure they'll be booking asap with one of them.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Amanda-

This pup popped into my head during meditation this am and would love to get more info and possibly chat a bit with her guardian in the next few days.

If they'd like to do so, just ask them to submit the basic info, below and in it mention that they are friends of yours.

New Client Questionaire

Thanks!

AmandaR

All-Access Member
Registered
You are so thoughtful, Dr. Jeff! I'm certain this couple will want to speak with you. I sent your info to them so you'll likely hear from them today.
Enjoy your day,
Amanda

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Amanda!

I did indeed receive Makia's info and will be calling them soon.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom