• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Arthritis

ChristineDG

VIP Member
Registered
My 7 year old Rocky went to the vet today for his Titer tests for certain shots. He's been really dragging his back end for a few days. I asked the vet what he thinks he thinks arthritis. Please see this pic below and tell me what you think.
I'm assuming the white towards his rear end, between the bone, would be the area of inflammation. So he has an issue overall with inflammation due to being an ex racer.
My question is, how do I really help with the pain? I see a product by petlab co that's supposed to be good. But I am sure you guys know something amazing to look into

Petlab Co.
20210428_152818_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg20210428_151533_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg20210428_152759_10118_Digiacomo Rocky.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christine. I'm sorry to hear that Rocky's been dragging his rear end.

I don't see the area that you think may be inflamed (x-rays show the results of inflammation, but not the actual process itself).

His spine (up to his sacrum) looks pretty good to me. There are a few other minor issue, such as increase gas in his intestines which might also be involved in walking differently.

How's his BEAM? This is the best way to monitor, and decide how to treat pain.

In general, I like the Ellevet CBD/CBDA for arthritic pain, Penta Genesis (regenerative deer velvet with NZ green lipped mussel), Nutriflex and triglyceride form omega-3s, etc for arthritic pain.
@Dr. Sara may have other thoughts about the x-rays and possible next steps.

ChristineDG

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Christine. I'm sorry to hear that Rocky's been dragging his rear end.

I don't see the area that you think may be inflamed (x-rays show the results of inflammation, but not the actual process itself).

His spine (up to his sacrum) looks pretty good to me. There are a few other minor issue, such as increase gas in his intestines which might also be involved in walking differently.

How's his BEAM? This is the best way to monitor, and decide how to treat pain.

In general, I like the Ellevet CBD/CBDA for arthritic pain, Penta Genesis (regenerative deer velvet with NZ green lipped mussel), Nutriflex and triglyceride form omega-3s, etc for arthritic pain.
@Dr. Sara may have other thoughts about the x-rays and possible next steps.

Yes I see all that dark matter in his stomach, how do I help with that? His stomach always looks a little puffy, and kind of tight. That's why I was thinking maybe a laxative or something else I can give him daily?

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Christine,
I agree with Dr. Jeff's suggestions. The only area I see that shows any significant bony change is a wee bit of cranial buttressing on the 4th lumbar vertebra. That's the one on the side view where the front of the can-shaped part of the vertebra flares down a bit more than the others. Ex-racers can definitely have problems in their pelvis and stifles, so it would have been good to get those views while Rocky was on the table.

Rocky's stomach looks white on the views from the front (D-V) because greyhounds (especially males) have a deep chest, so there is a lot of overlay of the organs. His stomach area does not appear abnormal to me on the side (lateral) views. I would not suggest a laxative. It doesn't look like he needs one. Greyhounds normally seem rather 'tight' on their undercarriage - is this your first grey, or is he different from other greys you have had?

As Dr. Jeff says, it is important to have context for the signs that Rocky is showing. When you say that he is dragging his back end, do you mean that his proprioception is affected? This YouTube video shows how to check his proprioception.

Let us know what you are seeing!
Dr. Sara

ChristineDG

VIP Member
Registered
Dear Christine,
I agree with Dr. Jeff's suggestions. The only area I see that shows any significant bony change is a wee bit of cranial buttressing on the 4th lumbar vertebra. That's the one on the side view where the front of the can-shaped part of the vertebra flares down a bit more than the others. Ex-racers can definitely have problems in their pelvis and stifles, so it would have been good to get those views while Rocky was on the table.

Rocky's stomach looks white on the views from the front (D-V) because greyhounds (especially males) have a deep chest, so there is a lot of overlay of the organs. His stomach area does not appear abnormal to me on the side (lateral) views. I would not suggest a laxative. It doesn't look like he needs one. Greyhounds normally seem rather 'tight' on their undercarriage - is this your first grey, or is he different from other greys you have had?

As Dr. Jeff says, it is important to have context for the signs that Rocky is showing. When you say that he is dragging his back end, do you mean that his proprioception is affected? This YouTube video shows how to check his proprioception.

Let us know what you are seeing!
Dr. Sara
Rocky is my 3rd greyhound, but his stomach is not flat like the others. He always seems bloated and puffy there, I call it a food baby. Let's say he's going up the 3 steps we have, he usually slips, scrapes one or both of this back legs, slams his back paws on the edge of the door frame, etc. On walks, it sounds like he drags his nails on the bag end more often than not, like he isn't turning those paws over properly. He will start to have zoomies normally, then something clicks where something hurts, and he gallops like a plastic horse would if a kid was playing with a toy. His back end works as one, and the legs move stiff/in sync. No bending, just straight then he stops running. Something else over the past week or so he was starting to eat super slow, not the norm. Now he won't even eat breakfast, and dinner possibly. He hasn't really been eating and now he had loose stool this morning.

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Christine,
This kind of walking, with toe dragging and stumbling, sounds like Rocky is having proprioceptive problems. Proprioceptive problems can occur when arthritis impinges on the tiny nerves that leave the back, or it can occur with degenerative problems like degenerative myelopathy (DM). Theoretically any dog COULD get DM, though it is not often seen in greyhounds. Greyhounds have arthritis much more commonly because of the repetitive stress of racing. I will paste below an information sheet that I send clients about symptomatic treatment for musculoskeletal pain.

It is best to work with an holistic practitioner, as they can hep you choose the best treatments for Rocky's specific problems. It appears that you have multiple concerns - joint discomfort, abdominal discomfort, and loss of appetite. It is best to address them with an integrated approach.

The abdominal distension you describe may be due to gas, which we can also see on the x-rays. Demulcent and carminative herbs, such as chamomile, slippery elm, and licorice can help soothe the intestines. See if Rocky would like to drink Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat tea. Prepare it according to the package, then mix it with equal amounts of water or broth, 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time. You can even put it on his food, if that is easier.
Regards,
Sara

Holistic Treatment for Joint Discomfort and Arthritis
S.F. Chapman DVM, VetMFHom, CertIAVH
Joint injuries and osteoarthritis are probably the most common musculoskeletal problems in our animals. We can minimize the risk of our animals incurring injuries, and keep them active and flexible lifelong, with excellent nutrition, sensible conditioning, and appropriate environmental management.

I do not use conventional anti-inflammatories for muscle and tendon injuries. They decrease inflammation by suppressing the body’s natural healing mechanisms. This does decrease pain and inflammation, but it also encourages the individual to over use the affected body part before it is actually healed. In addition, many conventional analgesics and anti-inflammatories have significant potential side effects. Homeopathic medicines stimulate healing, and thereby decrease pain and inflammation, so when an animal that is receiving homeopathic medicines feels better, they actually are better. Constitutional treatment for the whole patient is ideal for chronic arthritic conditions. Symptomatic homeopathic treatment can be helpful for acute injuries or flare ups of chronic conditions.

For acute joint sprains and strains, I initially use Arnica and Ruta, substituting Rhus tox for Ruta if the patient limbers up and feels better after moving around. I decrease the frequency of administration as the patient improves. A 30 C potency is initially given once or twice a day, a low potency (6x, 6C, or 12X) may be given up to 3 or 4 times daily when the injury is painful. These can be prepared in liquid form for easier and more effective dosing:

Liquid Medicine Preparation
*By preparing liquid homeopathic medicines, you can shake the medicine between doses, which minutely changes the potency, improves the response, and minimizes the likelihood or an over reaction.
*I dilute any medicines that I will use repeatedly in 4 parts distilled, RO or spring water to one part 80 proof vodka (40 % alcohol). You do not have to use the vodka; it just makes the combination stable at room temperature. If you refrigerate, these medicines last for at least two months.
*Use a 1 ounce or smaller glass dropper bottle filled with the water, with or without the vodka. Then measure out enough of each homeopathic medicine to cover the cap of the remedy bottle in a single layer, and add it to the liquid in the dropper bottle. For pain, I use either Arnica (bruising or muscle pain) Arnica and Hypericum (bruising and nerve pain) or Arnica, Rhus tox, and Ruta (for joint pain).
*For symptomatic treatment, choose a low potency, like 6 X, 6 C, or 12 X of each medicine.
*When you have a active flare up of a condition, give a dose (a few drops) two or three times daily for up to six doses.
*When the patient starts to improve, increase the time between doses.
*Shake well, then administer and store as described above.

Many elderly dogs, and even some cats, have decreased proprioception in their hind limbs. This is caused by pressure from the arthritis on the tiny proprioceptive fibers which ‘tell’ the animal when their legs are in the normal position. When these fibers are not working properly, animals are more likely to let their legs slide out on smooth surfaces, or stumble on uneven surfaces because they do not realise their paw is turned under. A good video showing normal proprioception is:

Any slowing in flipping the paw back over is abnormal.

Excellent footing helps animals with proprioceptive problems, as it is harder to slip on rough surfaces. It can also help to apply a traction product to the paw pads, like Paw Friction, or put non-slip booties on the patient.

Veterinary treatments that speed healing are acupuncture and physical therapy. Acupuncture improves circulation and decreases pain, and can be repeated as desired. Acupuncture can also help improve the function of the tiny proprioceptive fibers.

Sports medicine practices can provide rehabilitation and physical therapy programs, with stretches and exercises for home use. Chiropractic manipulation may help when joints are not in proper alignment.

Supplements ensure that adequate nutrients are present for joint repair. I list some helpful supplements and their doses below. You will need to calculate the total quantity of the various supplements depending on weight.

Vitamin E (d alpha tocopherol = natural vitamin E), dose 10 IU /# Anti-oxidant.

CBD oil or extract as recommended by manufacturer. Be sure that the product is tested for purity and activity and third party verified, such as CannaPet, 4LeafRover, RxVitamins. Decreases inflammation, enhances mood, calming.

Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil tested for purity), dose 1,000 mg / 20 – 40 # Decreases inflammation, improves cardiac health

S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe, must be taken on an empty stomach), dose 10 mg/lb Detoxifies free radicals, regenerates intracellular glutathione, enhances mood.

Curcumin, dose proportional to human dose Anti-inflammatory, anti-neoplastic, improves neuron and liver health.

Glycosaminoglycans: glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate, dose 7-12 mg / # of each Protect and regenerate cartilage, mild anti-inflammatory
Super Snouts green lipped mussel is a good source, given as listed on the bottle.

Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), dose 10 mg/ # Antioxidant

Many arthritic dogs are already receiving chondroitin, glucosamine, and MSM. Always check the dose by weight, as many supplements do not provide much of the active ingredients. Glucosamine, choindroitin, and MSM act synergistically, providing a greater benefit when they are all given together.

It is a good idea to start supplements one at a time. This way you can see what is helping, and ensure that the pet does not have an over reaction to too many supplements!

CBD products provide the quickest relief from pain. Broad spectrum CBD (cannabinoids) have the THC removed, so they are legal and non-toxic. There is a lot of information on the company websites. Then add in chondroitin, then vitamin E, then fish oil, then curcumin, then, if there is still noticeable stiffness or lameness, SAM-e.

Except for the SAM-e, all of the other supplements can be given with meals. I use human products for most of these in my dogs, though there are some good pet products out there. Sometimes it is hard to find pet products that don’t have a lot of other ingredients or flavorings, and pet products are not tested for quality and potency as rigorously as human products. I research brands that I am interested in on line, as it is difficult to read the tiny print on the labels. I do like CannaPet and Bluebird Botanicals CBD, Carlson’s vitamin E, Barlean’s fish oil, and Source Naturals and Doctor’s Best SAM-e. I have used a lot of different glucosamine / chondroitin / MSM brands. I have started recommending sea mussel products such as Super Snouts Joint Powder; many products are available.

I suggest curcumin for older dogs, or those that have had a cancerous tumour removed. Curcumin from turmeric is known to decrease the growth of cancerous cells, and it is quite safe. It also decreases inflammation. There is a lot of information on line about curcumin. The dose for a dog is roughly proportional to that for people, with human doses based on a 120# person. Most dogs – and some cats! – love golden paste, given proportional to weight; the Dogs Naturally website has a good recipe for ‘Turmeric Golden Paste’.

Avoid feeding kibble. All kibble is extruded, a high heat and pressure process that destroys nutrients and produces pro-inflammatory substances. Many dogs eat kibble and appear to do well on it, but I have seen incredible improvements in dogs with chronic problems when they stop eating highly processed kibble. Few human foods (some pastas and cereals) are extruded like kibble; the process was developed to increase the length of time animal food could be stored when there were metal shortages in World War II. Human food for long term storage without cans, like MREs and astronaut food, are freeze-dried or dehydrated, which retains a lot more nutrients and doesn’t create the free radicals that increase inflammation.

The diets that I prefer are complete and balanced ground raw diets, but not everyone is comfortable with feeding raw. Freeze-dried or dehydrated raw or canned diets are good choices, provided that they are excellent quality. Some of the newer dry diets are cold pressed, and this gentler processing retains more nutrients and produces fewer free radicals, making them a better choice than extruded kibble. ’The Whole Dog Journal’ has discussions of various foods, and the on-line Dog Food Advisor also rates foods for quality.

There are other things that you can do at home to help your companion’s joint comfort:

I like animals to use orthopedic pet beds, but dogs certainly have varying opinions about them. Cats generally are into comfort! Many furry dogs prefer to sprawl on bare floors, and some dogs don’t seem to want anything to do with beds. If your dog likes beds, an orthopedic one is a good choice, though it can take some dogs a bit of time to get used to the feel of the foam. I suggest lounging in it with the dog!

Massage is helpful, provided the animal likes it. Gently massage areas with a smooth, gentle kneading, starting above the sore or stiff area, and ending below it. Some dogs, and many cats, only want very light pressure; less pressure is better than too much. Massage is relaxing, and has the added benefit that you will notice changes in your pet’s body. As mentioned above sports medicine vets can provide further guidance on physical therapy and stretching exercises.

Gentle range of motion stretches while lying are safe for most patients. Standing stretches can make patients with proprioceptive problems too unsteady, and we don't want them to fall. Slowly and gently extend each leg forward and back; only go as far as is comfortable, and hold for the count of three at the point of greatest comfortable extension in each direction. Do the same by flexing each leg toward the body, always ensuring that the patient is comfortable.

Acupressure will help sore pets; it works similarly to acupuncture in stimulating energy flow through the body. Dr. Schwartz’s book “Four Paws, Five Directions” gives step by step instructions with diagrams, and a discussion of food therapy to help conditions.

Essential oils may also help soreness. The best source that I have found for essential oils is AnimalEO. Their products are tested for quality, safety, and purity.

Red light therapy uses light to stimulate healing. A company that makes high quality, reasonably priced products for dogs, cats, and horses is Canine Light Therapy at: According to "Gospel"...Equine Light Therapy®-Canine Light TherapyWelcome to Affordable Light Therapy for Horses and Dogs!

The Assisi Loop uses a electromagnetic field to stimulate healing. It is more expensive, though it may provide additional benefit.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Just another thought: for proprioception - perhaps only for less impaired animals, but may be useful: we use FitBone devices, and a Bosu ball. These are inflatable soft shapes upon which a dog can stand, front or back feet, or all four. They encourage awareness of the feet and their weight distribution, and improve balance and strength. There are an infinite variety of moves and positions, to train what needs training. Lots of YouTube videos on how to use...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom