• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

"Appetite" dropped in BEAM - wait and see?

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hello!

I have question re "dropped Appetite" in BEAM for my recent rescue pup. Her BEAM has been good overall with occasional stomach issues (she came home to us in January). Since this morning, she has turned away from food which NEVER happened. The only change to her diet yesterday was the 1/8 tsp of Dr Dobia's Green Min I added to her dinner. Could this be the cause? She had snuffle session after dinner last night and seemed okay and normal.

Anyhow, I usually look for stomach gurgling as an indication of stomach upset. But today, her tummy is quite quiet. However, I noticed that she looked for grass to eat when she's in the yard and when we're out on our sniff walk.

I offered her some Answers goat milk upon return from our walk but she turned away from that also.

I put some GI GOE by AnimalEO on her belly just now.

My question is - do I wait and see if her appetite returns or is this a serious EWS that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Input from anyone will be super appreciated ...and @Dr. Jeff @GinnyW

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Great thinking and actions.
I would at least wait until tomorrow. We often fast dogs for 24 to 48 hours, so she may be self-fasting. the EO and offer of goats milk was great. I would offer the goats milk again if she shows any interest.

Think of what may have triggered this episode.

This is an actual symptom/sign more than merely an early warning sign. You may want to palpate her all over, especially in her belly (from bottom and from the sides) and notice any discomfort or hardening.

this would be a good time to offer Reiki/Eden Energy Healing/HTA/theta healing, etc. Look for Prasad's empower hour on Reiki as she talks of using it even before you take a class.

Rescue remedy or other flower essences can also be useful when it is not clear what is happening as they are totally safe.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, adding the Green Min could be the reason. Did you try feeding her the same food without the powder?

Do you mix anything else with her food?

Has she liked the Answer's previously?

Wait, watch and investigate, but this decreased appetite behavior may indeed be an EWS (but NOT a serious one).

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you both, @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jeff

I have Rescue Remedy and various flower essences on hand.

I just felt her tummy area and it seemed okay to me. I pressed the area a little harder too and that didn't seem to bother her at all.

I just gave her ozone therapy via rectal insufflation. I will wait and see.

Fasting Hope for 24 to 48 hours is so hard but doable! ;) Or I will try the goats milk again.

Yes, she's liked Answers food previously, with and without anything else added to the food.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
sorry I forgot to mention her stool was fine - firm solid...just perfect.
But she just vomited - liquid with grass she ate earlier - immediately after I applied Rescue Remedy on her paws. @Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yeah, what they said:) And don't agonize - yet. I'm thinking the RR might have over stimulated a bit. No harm done. Eating grass is a sign of wanting to pass something in either direction, and is not a sign of illness; it's how dogs handle things. I would just observe and back off with fussing or offering.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
@GinnyW Thank you and great to see your post here. I will refrain myself from fussing and offering...which is darn difficult. What would be some [troubling] signs to watch out for going forward?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, she should get her appetite back:) Fasting won't hurt at all, and will help settle her. More uncontrollable, unproductive retching is bad. Change in body temp, up or down, would bear attention. Agitation. Refusing water for any length of time. Of course, any weird physical stuff like shivering, twitching, falling over... What you'd like to see is calm resting, maybe curled up in a blanket with you, drinking some water or milk - or broth, if you have some you can offer. But no rush on that. Scruff her neck, and see that the skin rebounds well. If it lies there like an old scarf, she may be dehydrated. But don't worry; just keep us posted.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
@GinnyW Thank you so so much for ALL of your posts

she can’t seem to find a comfortable position - frequent changing position with stretching and tons of lip smacking. Some whimpers. Seeks solitude.

Last edited:

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
She vomited again about an hour ago - more liquid than last time and some grass. And now she's trembling. I'd really hate to bring her to the ER...is there anything I can do ?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Got any slippery elm? Apple cider vinegar? ParvAid? Homeopathic remedies? No way she got into anything poisonous, right? If she is horking up grass, this is a good sign of something transient - the vomiting is productive. I think we're safe with "watch and wait". If you take her in, they will give her a nasty drug which will foul up lots of metabolic processes and growth. Keep us posted.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Got any slippery elm? Apple cider vinegar? ParvAid? Homeopathic remedies? No way she got into anything poisonous, right? If she is horking up grass, this is a good sign of something transient - the vomiting is productive. I think we're safe with "watch and wait". If you take her in, they will give her a nasty drug which will foul up lots of metabolic processes and growth. Keep us posted.
I have slippery elm bark powder and vinegar. I have a homeopathic remedy kit. I don’t know what remedy to give and in what dosage. I agree re ER.
no, nothing poisonous.
thank you for your help

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you @GinnyW and @Dr. Jean for asking....Hope bounced back around 1am and asked for food! I gave her some goats milk but she refused..so I gave her just a tiny bit of hard boiled egg yolk (her favorite!) and some raw rabbit blend and she quickly consumed both! Everything is back to normal this morning :) I am still taking it easy with her food (feeding smaller portions) and wait and see .... Here she is this morning eating her fave!

Attachments

• 638310303.815715.mp4
    1.2 MB

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, what an awe-some thread everyone! Thank you all for the posts.

Christine, I'm so glad that Hope is better. ?

Do you think she might have reflected the energy of your anxiety last night (pre-interview)?⚡

That energy could theoretically triggered her symptoms.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

Keep doing what you're doing. I so echo Ginny that you showed awe-some patience and perseverance and are a wonderful pet parent! Good work!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom