• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Antidotes in Homeopathy for Pets (and People)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi @everyone-

I was just thinking about the topics of antidotes because of the homeopathic medicine dose I took yesterday.

It's always puzzled me why we say that something "antidoted" a remedy given weeks and months before. I've asked many people over the years and am now thinking about as I write below. These are only my personal musings so please take it with a grain (or pound) of salt.

IMHO, there's actually two parts to the antidoting question.

1. A true antidoting of the primary (or medicinal effect) of a remedy. That's when a substance, such as coffee or peppermint, which may counteract the effect of the remedy, is given within a few hours or days of the homeopathic medicine.

BTW- I bolded the word may because whether or not a substance can act as an antidote depends on the similarity of the remedy to the underlying energetic imbalance of the pet. The more similar a remedy, the more difficult it is to antidote.

I think the remedies are much more robust than we give them credit for. There are plenty of cases where the remedy is actually given in coffee, peppermint tea, food, etc. and works brilliantly.

2. Most commonly, some substance "antidotes" the good secondary effect of a remedy given weeks, months, and even years prior. The secondary effect is the same curative effect we see whenever an individual responds to a similar remedy.

Personally I consider this to be an individual effect, and not a universal antidoting (like when the drug 4-MP is used to "antidote" the harmful effects of antifreeze poisoning if it is used within a few hours).

The reason why it's individual is because it adds in the susceptibility of each individual to the particular substance in question. The more sensitive that a pet is to the substance in question, the greater the chance of "antidoting".

I'm not even sure that I would call this an antidote. Any stressor (like an emotion) can effect some individuals depending on their sensitivity/susceptibility to the stress.

This is the same process by which a pet gets sick with abnormal symptoms in the first place.

Clear as mud?

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I agree, Dr. Jeff. Antidoting is most accurately applied to some treatment or medicine that is given close in time to a homeopathic medicine, and nullifies that effect of that homeopathic medicine.
I also agree that antidoting does not occur that often in animals, though it would be more likely in highly sensitive individuals.

When a medicine given weeks to years later affects the patient to change the path of healing, that is not antidoting. That is an effect of that medicine in its own right - could be an aggravation, palliation, a curative effect.... but it isn't antidoting!
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom