• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Anorexia 6-month old puppy

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello!

Background: March 2021, our 2 GSDs had a litter of 6 puppies whom we naturally reared; raw-fed starting at 3 weeks and onward, un-vaccinated and new families were strongly encouraged to continue to forego all except for rabies, and they are not to be altered until a minimum of 2-years-old. We have a health contract that guarantees their health for 5 years so long as they follow these guidelines, which means their health is of utmost importance and interest to us.

Beginning on Sunday, one of the males was not eating his typical food, so he was given cooked chicken and rice and his raw goat milk, but was not keeping any food down and yesterday had a very small bowel movement (pictures below). He was brought to the vet yesterday and declared that the only way to draw his blood would be to muzzle and sedate him (as he was more anxious and seemed physically better once at the vets), something that was obviously not preferred. The vet sent them on their way with a prescription for antibiotics and what sounds like Imodium for what she presumed was an infection associated with his raw milk consumption and nothing else to support this.

The family was unable to get him to eat to give him the abx, which is when they called us. I was concerned that he ate something - there was recent construction going on in the home - and that he potentially had a bowel impaction which was resulting in the inability to keep food down and his near-absent bowel movements. It concerns me that something like Imodium would be given to him and could result in constipation, I expressed this to the family, in addition to the fact that there is nothing to confirm a bacterial infection which would warrant abx.

Associated signs and symptoms: weight loss, lethargy and general malaise, low drive/motivation (about 10% of his normal drive), possible dehydration

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

Lyndsey

IMG_3412.jpeg

IMG_5203.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, lots of thoughts Lyndsey! And I'm sorry to hear that the pup is having problems.

The first thing is to confirm exactly what he's been eating, how well, have their been any vet visits at all since he went home, and if so, what they found and what they did.

Also, how was the pup on Saturday before this started? 100% normal BEAM? Any subtle behavioral changes?

You'll also need lots of specifics about the vomiting like timing, forceful or passive, does it have a pink tinge (like the second pic which looks more like vomit than stool!), etc.

By far, the most important are changes in BEAM like isolating/clingy/more aggressive/fearful, etc.

LyndseyM

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes, lots of thoughts Lyndsey! And I'm sorry to hear that the pup is having problems.

The first thing is to confirm exactly what he's been eating, how well, have their been any vet visits at all since he went home, and if so, what they found and what they did.

Also, how was the pup on Saturday before this started? 100% normal BEAM? Any subtle behavioral changes?

You'll also need lots of specifics about the vomiting like timing, forceful or passive, does it have a pink tinge (like the second pic which looks more like vomit than stool!), etc.

By far, the most important are changes in BEAM like isolating/clingy/more aggressive/fearful, etc.
Thank you Dr. Jeff, we will follow-up on these important questions and see how he's faring. I know they were able to get some blood drawn on Friday, but we have not heard anything as of yet... I will keep you posted!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom