• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Anal Gland Mass

ChristineCu

Community Member
Registered
My Poodle Shih Tzu mix has a 2.5 inch mass on his anal gland just to the right of his tail. He's 13 or 14 yrs old, 15 or 16 pounds. He on a raw diet. His BEAM is good, but he is more thirsty. His stools are ribbon like and he urinates more. He also strains because the mass is pressing on his colon so it's difficult to have a bowel movement. We are waiting on his ultrasound results but he will need surgery. Does anyone know of any alternative to surgery although I think it's too late plus it's fast growing.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Aruna for pointing out Christine's post and I'm sorry to hear about your pup Christine. ? :(

If indeed he has an internal anal sac mass that is also visible externally, then yes, it may need to be removed. Based on what the diagnostic tests show. Also, if you can share a picture of what you see, that would be super helpful.

Do you happen to know if his blood calcium is elevated?

is he neutered?

ChristineCu

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff. It is visible. He's actually going in for surgery on Wednesday, October 4. He is neutered, not sure about his blood calcium levels. I've attached 2 photos plus the workup from the consultation. He also had an ultrasound, everything was normal.

20210930_165301.jpg

20210930_170058.jpg

20210930_211448.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the pics and sharing the report.

You might want to learn more about using Arnica before and after surgery to try and improve the outcome, and decrease pain.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Nope! There's no molecules of Arnica is the solution that can interact pharmacologically.

The effect from the Arnica is purely energetic from a hypothetical normalization in internal balance that can be seen from internal and external symptoms like red count, creatinine, etc. and external ones like BEAM, coat, ears, etc..

AlysonR

All-Access Member
Registered
If it is an anal gland adenocarcinoma (hoping it isn't, of course), I had a dog with such a mass. She had surgery, but the mass grew back after 3 months. An ultrasound showed large blood vessels 'feeding' the mass. The vet 'she's dying'. I looked at my happy, energetic dog and didn't believe it. I started feeding her multiple supplements: Wobenzyme, Vascustatin, Artemisinin, Ip-6 ( I think ), maybe some others. She survived another year (I had to use enemas on her towards the end), and she was happy. She wasn't ready to die when we said goodbye, but the tumor had blocked her urethra, so it was time.

In any event, I very much wish I'd started her on the supplements immediately after the surgery, rather than waiting 3 months, although I was working with Carvel Tiekert during those 3 months, so I wasn't completely idle.

If you do use arnica before/after surgery (I did), be sure that if the vet administers it after surgery, s/he understands it won't prevent infection. My dog nearly died of infection right after the surgery, though her bleeding subsided almost immediately.

If you would like more information on what I did for my dog, Samantha, I am happy to share. I am *very much* hoping you won't need it, though.

Alyson Reeves

ChristineCu

Community Member
Registered
If it is an anal gland adenocarcinoma (hoping it isn't, of course), I had a dog with such a mass. She had surgery, but the mass grew back after 3 months. An ultrasound showed large blood vessels 'feeding' the mass. The vet 'she's dying'. I looked at my happy, energetic dog and didn't believe it. I started feeding her multiple supplements: Wobenzyme, Vascustatin, Artemisinin, Ip-6 ( I think ), maybe some others. She survived another year (I had to use enemas on her towards the end), and she was happy. She wasn't ready to die when we said goodbye, but the tumor had blocked her urethra, so it was time.

In any event, I very much wish I'd started her on the supplements immediately after the surgery, rather than waiting 3 months, although I was working with Carvel Tiekert during those 3 months, so I wasn't completely idle.

If you do use arnica before/after surgery (I did), be sure that if the vet administers it after surgery, s/he understands it won't prevent infection. My dog nearly died of infection right after the surgery, though her bleeding subsided almost immediately.

If you would like more information on what I did for my dog, Samantha, I am happy to share. I am *very much* hoping you won't need it, though.

Alyson Reeves

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christine!

Were you trying to make a comment on Alyson's post or ask a question?

ChristineCu

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Alyson! It sounds like great information, I'm going to wait to see how he does.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
No!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom