• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Acupuncture needles left in dog dilemma

LilF

Community Member
Registered
My two dogs get acupuncture and wonder if anyone else experiences this problem or if any acupunturists can weigh in. Over the last few months, I have found needles left in my dogs after the treatment. My dog has not received acupuncture now for almost 3 weeks and today found a needle on the floor. Since she is blowing her coat I sweep every few days so sure this needle came off her rather recently. I pet and comb her a lot but this needle must have been in her for a couple weeks I assume. My conventional vet told me once that he doesn't like acupuncture for this very reason that he had to do surgery on a dog with a needle embedded in one of its organs. So is there a technique besides eyeballing if all the needles are out. I am getting VERY concerned that the vet doesn't have a way to insure that my dogs are free of all needles after the treatment. This is a rather odd issue but my dogs are old and I do not want them to undergo a surgery. Any one else have this experience or any one who does acupuncture tell me how you insure all needles are removed. The vet is very matter of fact when I brought it up the first time it happened. I am pretty upset about this.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Oh no...I'm sorry to hear about this. I would go somewhere else for the treatments. My acupuncturist vet always count the numbers of needles when they're being removed to ensure that none was left on the body.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Oh, I know...it just isn't so easy...this vet does do a few other things and it seems to help one dog in particular who has spondylosis. The other dog could probably do without it. It just floors me she doesn't have a method for making sure they are all removed. It is hard to come by holistic/integrative vets in my area that also do acupuncture. Wish they were also color coded..they are difficult to see sometimes.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
I totally understand...can you gently let this vet know about this? I hope this will not happen again :(

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes...will do my best to be gentle. This is the third one. I know what you mean, don't burn down the bridge. I will be counting though. Usually she is talking away or discussing the other dog. Will have to hold firm. Thank you so much for your support and suggestions! Will practice remaining calm (while I search for another option)

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I count needles and use colored handled needles if it will be hard to see the needles on a long haired or dark haired pet. Even though I'm very careful, I have had one or two instances where a needle has been found. If you talk to your vet about your concerns, they should be really receptive and be even more diligent. Talking to them will help them do better with the other pets that they see.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom