• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

2 1/2 Week Old Kittens-Homeopathy for Eyes and Diarrhea?

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
Of the 5 kittens and mama I just took into my rescue 5 days ago, 2 have diarrhea and eye issues (their mom has had diarrhea on and off as well, but I think she is recovering on a raw diet) and 1 of the 2 had a sealed eye. Originally I thought the eye was due to the young age and development of the kitten, but this morning I put a warm compress on the eye and got a burst of white pus from it. I was able to gently get the eye open but it's sealed back again.

More details:

Orange kitten: did not gain weight yesterday but active, nursing, has brown thick goop "outlining" his eyes. I've cleaned it off, he got it again today. He's very squirmy during nursing. I bottle fed him some goat milk this morning since he may not be getting enough to eat. Last night he squirted bright yellow foamy stool. I called the ER vet and they said to ask my allopathic vet and in so many words, go away. :-( This morning I think the stool is darker yellow going to brown. He seeks out heat.

Tabby female: gaining weight, but smallest of litter. nursing. not as active. seeks out heat. left eye sealed shut at least since Friday when I got her. Now I do warm compresses but wondering if I can put a drop of apple cider vinegar onto the cloth with warm water. Would that possibly help? She has signs of diarrhea in that her lower half is dirty/damp but I haven't seen any come out of her.

I'm keeping everyone clean. Mama isn't doing the best job. She has continuing health issues (panting, sneezing, tired but she's nursing so yeah..she's tired). I'm trying to sort out if I should pull the kittens from mom and bottle feed a few days or not. As mentioned in a vaccination section post, the mom has been given rabies, fvrcp, de-worming, de-flea meds, and more all about 2 weeks ago (I did not know). I'm thinking this is her body continuing to purge all that stuff and it's effecting the kittens.

Can I give the kittens homeopathy? If so, what and how to dose.

PS-mom won't eat if I put pro-biotics into the food.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin.

Will the kittens lap milk or slurry yet? If so, a mix of goat milk, raw egg and molasses is quite nutritive and vital.

The ACV compress is fine for the tabby kitten and might help.

Do you have any Bioplasma? This homeopathically-prepared cell salt remedy can often be useful for general support.

Dr. Jeff

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr Jeff.

The ACV is probably working. No pus today but the eye still seals up quickly. I'll keep doing the compresses.

I don't have Bioplasma :-(  The kittens aren't big enough for slurry. I have supplemented a few of them with goat milk. I could blend the mix you suggested. Is there a recipe for it? How much molasses? I'm guessing very little

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin-

If the kittens can lap milk, they can get a watery slurry.

1 cup goat's milk + 1 raw egg + 1/2 tsp of molasses.

I have some Bioplasma samples you can have. You can also order it <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Bioplasma-Homeopathic-Combination-Cellular/dp/B00126349K">here</a>.

Dr. Jeff

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
Update on the Family:

I realized a few days into the ACV treatment, that it was not JUST ACV and it had other things in it..like cayenne powder! I got plain ACV and alternated with gentle warm bottled water because one of the kittens had some inflammation around his eyes. I also treated the kittens that had no symptoms by doing 50/50 water/ACV on the scruff of their neck for a few days.

The pre-treated kittens had no eye infection (so far) and are doing great.

The two sick kittens are improved. They were showing signs of improvement but I did cave and give them 3 days of terramycin because their eyes continued to seal shut. Now everyone is off ACV/meds and are gaining weight and energy.

Mom, I only gave homeopathy. She hasn't sneezed at all today. Her diarrhea is gone. She is perking up as well. I do attribute a lot of this to her loving to eat raw food. She even ate when I could hear she was stuffed up.

What I'm learning is that it's ok to watch and wait even though I might feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. I did a parvo test on the sickest kitten and he was negative, but I was very worried it was going to hit this family. Also I don't see any signs of CH. Kittens are learning to walk and seem to be planting their paws normally. Though I will still be very careful and watchful, I also am starting to really enjoy seeing them thrive at last. It's been two weeks since they arrived and with any luck, they will continue to show great BEAM and vitality.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great pic Robin!

Fantastic to hear that there are no ill effects from mom's vaccination.

And brava for your integration of informative diagnostics and watchful waiting!!

What's the cream kitty (leftmost) doing?

Good work with nurturing vitality with fresh and raw food.

I know the babies will do well with their it,  just like their momma.

Dr. Jeff

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
Leftmost kitten is Nathaniel Niblets and he's just being a kitten. LOL...that photo is so bad! Try to get a group photo of 5 kittens without an assistant to help pose them. Not going to happen!

Today is their 4th week birthday. On to weaning and litterbox training. :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
As the kittens grow Robin you can start assessing their gait and whether any of them have an intention tremor (head shaking when they go to eat) from the vaccination.

Please let us know right away if you see any abnormal symptoms.

I bet that they will be just fine.

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom