• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

14 Month Old Zoey's Itching & Vomiting - Her Case

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi everyone - Zoey is a 14 month Schnauzer with an itching issue, an intermittent dry cough like trying to clear her throat that ends in an attempt to cough something up and intermittent vomiting of some undigested food or yellow bile. I've taken her case so you can see the particulars of these symptoms, etc., and have attached a link here for anyone interested, since itching and vomiting are such common issues, even though Zoey is an individual with her own quirks. I've chosen Sulfur as the first remedy (you can see how many boxes the Sulfur ticks off). My xxxx's means that symptom was a guiding, italicized one in the Materia Medica. XXX is a specific mention, XX and X are judgement calls.

Would love any feedback Dr. Jeff, Dr. Christina. I'll be updating as we go. Thanks! Jody

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi everyone - Update on Zoey 3/8/21 - Dr. Jeff, would really appreciate if you would weigh in here, please. :)
Zoey has had 3 doses of 30C Sulphur as of this morning (yesterday morning, yesterday early eve and this morning). There is no change regarding her itching; she is still scratching badly. No vomiting. Her BEAM is good; unchanged from before.
If you open the case sheet I'd attached, you can see Sulphur is the best match based on her symptoms and peculiars. Not sure if should give another dose of 30 (this doesn't seem right to me), up to 1 dose of 200 (maybe Zoey needs a bit of a stronger push) or wait a day or so to see if anything changes before changing remedies to my #2 choice. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks! Jody

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry that I didn’t see this before Jody.

You may want to wait another few days since her counteraction (response to the remedy) may not even start for 3-5 days from today (her last dose).

In the meantime, perhaps look for another remedy before continuing the Sulphur. I will check your sheet, but wonder what Peculiars point to Sulphur?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Lots of great info. in your Google Sheet Jody, thanks for sharing it!

Did she get vaccinated by the breeder before 3/22?

Exactly what are the vomiting issues you mentioned?

When it comes to chronic cases of itch (or any chronic dis-ease) having a vet homeopath take the full case is usually a good idea.

Acute homeopathy is something that can be readily learned and practiced at home, but that's not always the case for complex chronic imbalances.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Sorry that I didn’t see this before Jody.

You may want to wait another few days since her counteraction (response to the remedy) may not even start for 3-5 days from today (her last dose).

In the meantime, perhaps look for another remedy before continuing the Sulphur. I will check your sheet, but wonder what Peculiars point to Sulphur?
Thanks, Dr.Jeff. Hope you can read my Google Sheet! Peculiars that related to Sulfur included: dislike of water; general offensive character of discharge and exhalations (Zoey had spontaneous discharge from her anus and is a constant sigher).

My second choice of remedy for Zoey is Ignatia. Zoey's personality/Mind is a very good match here (changeable, anxious, excitable/nervous), and a guiding of Ignatia is the emotional component. With IG, there is also itching, intermittent vomiting, a cough, twitching and sighing. There is also "longs for great variety of indigestible articles." Zoey eats shoes, pretty much everything she can get in her mouth, so thought that might also be something to note. But mostly it is her Mind and some of her other symptoms above. Thank you very much, Dr. Jeff!
See you tonight!

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Lots of great info. in your Google Sheet Jody, thanks for sharing it!

Did she get vaccinated by the breeder before 3/22?

Exactly what are the vomiting issues you mentioned?

When it comes to chronic cases of itch (or any chronic dis-ease) having a vet homeopath take the full case is usually a good idea.

Acute homeopathy is something that can be readily learned and practiced at home, but that's not always the case for complex chronic imbalances.
Hi Dr. Jeff - Sorry; just saw this post. Thank you re my case taking! Means a lot. My Type A Virgo personality at work! LOL
Here are the answers. Yes, she did get vaccinated by the breeder; Zoey's guardian can't find that doc and doesn't know what. She does know it wasn't rabies; she said breeder told her it was Bordatella and the 4 in 1 shot for puppies at 2 mos old.
Vomiting: Every couple of weeks, Zoey will eat her food and then later in the day or in the middle of the night she will vomit. Sometimes it is yellow bile; sometimes it is undigested food and liquid. It has been happening more frequently in the last 2 weeks but not everyday and her BEAM is still good.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Dr. Jeff alerted me that maybe I didn't make clear that Zoey is not my dog; I am helping a friend. Also @GinnyW would love you to weigh in on this if you can. Thanks so much!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, Jody, I am flattered by your faith in me, but I am not a "real" homeopath; just an observant student who has worked with some really astute homeopaths:) I agree with Dr. Jeff that a set of fairly common symptoms like these must be examined carefully. A rule of thumb is, firstly, to be quite conservative: one can always "do nothing" and observe further. In this case I'd also be looking at diet, interactions with others in the home, sleep and exercise habits, and such. Beyond this I would get help from an experienced classical homeopath.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Well, Jody, I am flattered by your faith in me, but I am not a "real" homeopath; just an observant student who has worked with some really astute homeopaths:) I agree with Dr. Jeff that a set of fairly common symptoms like these must be examined carefully. A rule of thumb is, firstly, to be quite conservative: one can always "do nothing" and observe further. In this case I'd also be looking at diet, interactions with others in the home, sleep and exercise habits, and such. Beyond this I would get help from an experienced classical homeopath.
Thanks, @GinnyW! Diet is good; she home cooks and supplements and she will be transitioning to raw shortly, so that may help quite a bit. No other pets in the home; she is adored like a daughter and she gets good sleep and exercise. She is left alone when my friend is working during the day and she does not like being left alone, so there is that emotional component.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Update on Zoey-3/12/21: after waiting 5 days since her last sulfur 30C dose with no change snd she’s still scratching up a storm, we are moving on to another remedy. For me, it is between Ignatia and Sepia. @Dr. Jeff if you would take a look at the case and weigh in with me, would appreciate. Mom is getting anxious about her baby scratching scratching and I don’t want her to go get a cytopoint shot. ? thanks!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jody. I did looked at your sheet when you posted it, and think either of the remedies you chose could be good for her!

When you read and compare both remedies, which one seems to best match her modalities, temperature preferences, and other generals?

Choose one then give a 10/Q-tip test dose. See if it affects her BEAM or other symptoms.

Please let us know how she is after the weekend.

Thanks, Jody!

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi Jody. I did looked at your sheet when you posted it, and think either of the remedies you chose could be good for her!

When you read and compare both remedies, which one seems to best match her modalities, temperature preferences, and other generals?

Choose one then give a 10/Q-tip test dose. See if it affects her BEAM or other symptoms.

Please let us know how she is after the weekend.

Thanks, Jody!
Is 30C an ok potency to test try with the 10/QTip? And the usual 3-4 doses before waiting?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Is 30C an ok potency to test try with the 10/QTip? And the usual 3-4 doses before waiting?
Yes 30c is fine.

Just one test dose.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Zoey Update 3/16/21: Zoey had a big aggravation, which got me excited. V, her mom, at my suggestion, made a chamomile tea which she swabbed zoey's ears with and also used calendula cream on them and this helped tremendously. All of Zoey's scratching of her ears has caused a brown layer in there (see pics; 1 of each ear) and what V is calling a scar which she can't get off and said is a bit deep.

@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina either of you know what this could be?

It dawned on me to ask her if she'd had Zoey tested for ear mites since the ears are the main source of her itching. She hasn't so she is going to do that just to at least rule it out, if that's not it.

Once we know this, then need to re evaluate the Sepia remedy; maybe after a few days if nothing changes, give her another test dose of 30C and see if that creates another aggravation or kickstarts healing or does nothing.

V is away for the next few days on a trip and Zoey is with a pet sitter who has instructions re the chamomile and the calendula, so will reconvene early next week. :thumbsup:

Zoey 3:16:21.JPGZoey rt ear 3:16:21.JPG

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, Jody, a good strategy IMHO if Zoey has made any progress.

This looks like the ear thickening that is commonly seen in allergic ear inflammation. Certain breeds are more prone to changes like these, especially in terriers and Cockers.

BTW-Archie (my own pup who is part Cocker) has chronic allergic otitis that was suppressed (probably many times) before we adopted him. He gets thickening like this which can resolve after a remedy.

Perhaps suggest that Zoey's mom have a recheck vet exam to better define the condition.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Yes, Jody, a good strategy IMHO if Zoey has made any progress.

This looks like the ear thickening that is commonly seen in allergic ear inflammation. Certain breeds are more prone to changes like these, especially in terriers and Cockers.

BTW-Archie (my own pup who is part Cocker) has chronic allergic otitis that was suppressed (probably many times) before we adopted him. He gets thickening like this which can resolve after a remedy.

Perhaps suggest that Zoey's mom have a recheck vet exam to better define the condition.
That's exactly what I suggested as soon as she gets home. Want to make sure no ear mites and a diagnosis is helpful for sure. I am really proud of V, Zoey's mom. She's sticking with it, despite how uncomfortable it is to endure Zoey's scratching and discomfort. She is their daughter :)) ).She and her husband were both crying in the car on the way to the airport for their trip for a few days. First time leaving Zoey. I can relate! LOL

Thanks, Dr. Jeff! Appreciate the guidance. I'll be back with updates.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
?

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
UPDATE ON ZOEY-4/16/21 - Hi everyone - it's been awhile since I last posted about Zoey here. I've been talking to @Dr. Jeff and @Dr. Christina offline but wanted to update the community, as well, so you can follow along if you'd like.

Zoey is a stubborn case. Her right ear infection cleared pretty quickly with, first, apple cider vinegar/filtered water mixture followed by mullein garlic oil. That left one, though, is a stubborn one. Still inflamed but not red. Still itching itching, as well as on her belly and neck. We tried Sulphur, then Sepia, then Sulphur and now, after talking with Dr. Jeff about a small handful of remedies, I chose Pulsatilla. Just before this for a few days, Zoey presented with diarrhea and vomiting, but chronic conditions from over the last year, with the diarrhea including blood in the last couple of poops.

She fasted Zoey for 24 hours, then started her on bone broth when the vomiting and diarrhea passed. After a day on bone broth, she graduated to boiled white meat chicken with the broth and then, as Zoey was doing so well, slowly introduced her raw beef and then veggies back in. As of today, she is eating her normal diet.

Today her mom sent me photos of her stool (LOL) encased in a layer of mucous, which sometimes happens with my dogs although hasn't in a while. I think it means there's some inflammation in the digestive tract; @Dr. Jeff please confirm this.

She started on the Pulsatilla in 6C for 3 doses on Tuesday night and then 2 doses Wednesday.

Mom reported that Zoey seemed so calm after her first dose of the remedy and wanted to lie down on mom's lap, not really something Zoey's regularly does. She said Zoey seemed sedated.

Wednesday Zoey had soft stools, I think from the change in diet to the broth, chicken before bringing her back onto her food. No blood.

Thursday morning, Zoey's cough, which had resolved about a month ago, came back; she was coughing quite a bit. Wondering if this is an aggravation and a good one or not. Again, @Dr. Jeff, if you wouldn't mind weighing in; would appreciate.

After the third dose of Pulsatilla, we're waiting the 3-5 days. Third does was mid day on Wednesday.

If that doesn't work, I'm concerned mom will have lost faith as this ear and Zoey's other symptoms (but especially her left ear), has been very stubborn. I don't want to see her go the antibiotic route.

I'll keep you posted.

Jody

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
UPDATE ON ZOEY-4/16/21 - Hi everyone - it's been awhile since I last posted about Zoey here. I've been talking to @Dr. Jeff and @Dr. Christina offline but wanted to update the community, as well, so you can follow along if you'd like.

Zoey is a stubborn case. Her right ear infection cleared pretty quickly with, first, apple cider vinegar/filtered water mixture followed by mullein garlic oil. That left one, though, is a stubborn one. Still inflamed but not red. Still itching itching, as well as on her belly and neck. We tried Sulphur, then Sepia, then Sulphur and now, after talking with Dr. Jeff about a small handful of remedies, I chose Pulsatilla. Just before this for a few days, Zoey presented with diarrhea and vomiting, but chronic conditions from over the last year, with the diarrhea including blood in the last couple of poops.

She fasted Zoey for 24 hours, then started her on bone broth when the vomiting and diarrhea passed. After a day on bone broth, she graduated to boiled white meat chicken with the broth and then, as Zoey was doing so well, slowly introduced her raw beef and then veggies back in. As of today, she is eating her normal diet.

Today her mom sent me photos of her stool (LOL) encased in a layer of mucous, which sometimes happens with my dogs although hasn't in a while. I think it means there's some inflammation in the digestive tract; @Dr. Jeff please confirm this.

She started on the Pulsatilla in 6C for 3 doses on Tuesday night and then 2 doses Wednesday.

Mom reported that Zoey seemed so calm after her first dose of the remedy and wanted to lie down on mom's lap, not really something Zoey's regularly does. She said Zoey seemed sedated.

Wednesday Zoey had soft stools, I think from the change in diet to the broth, chicken before bringing her back onto her food. No blood.

Thursday morning, Zoey's cough, which had resolved about a month ago, came back; she was coughing quite a bit. Wondering if this is an aggravation and a good one or not. Again, @Dr. Jeff, if you wouldn't mind weighing in; would appreciate.

After the third dose of Pulsatilla, we're waiting the 3-5 days. Third does was mid day on Wednesday.

If that doesn't work, I'm concerned mom will have lost faith as this ear and Zoey's other symptoms (but especially her left ear), has been very stubborn. I don't want to see her go the antibiotic route.

I'll keep you posted.

Jody
Yes @Dr. Jeff, as I suspected, mom has lost faith. She said today if the Pulsatilla doesn't start working by Monday, she is going to the vet; that Zoey has been suffering for a month and she doesn't think homeopathy can help Zoey. It's sad for Zoey. And frustrating for me. If I could've gotten her ear infection under control, I think mom would've stayed the course. It's hard for her to really understand that it takes time and experimentation to trigger the body to start healing a chronic issue. And, we'd had movement. This must be the frustration you sometimes feel in your practice in the past years, Dr. Jeff.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom