• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

New pet and detoxification from shelter stay

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I am going to be adopting a pet from a shelter in another state who was on the kill list. She is 4 and appears to be a pit bull cross and weighs 50lbs. The dog has been "shut down" since it arrived in the shelter but I am taking it on because I see no aggression in the behavior notes of the shelter and feel the dog is just scared and deserves a chance to live. I have seen in the behavior assessments of her wanting human attention by putting her chin on the handler's leg and nudging for attention, but she also skitters away, presses her head against the shelter cage, trembles, cowers, tail tuck, whale eye and avoidant. She will be coming here next week I believe when I meet a transport half way. My concerns are that she has been vaxed for everything, flea and tick application, currently on Trazadone and Clonidine and will probably have spay surgery so more toxins into her.

So for the way home which will be at least a 3 hour drive I want to know about Adaptil and/or Rescue Remedy for the back seat. Use both or one of them? Or would essential oil of lavender be better? I am not going to try to put anything in her mouth or rub on her ears. I am not trying these things as I am a novel person and just letting her progress at her own pace and comfort level. What do I use at home and ongoing? I will use music of course. Can you mix essential oil and homeopathic or do they compete with each other?

I also need to know how to start detoxing her . What and where do I get it. Again I do not want to attempt to put anything in her mouth orally. If you can get me started on some quick suggestions because I probably don't have time to watch videos right now. She is probably very toxic and now she will undergo spay anesthesia. And that is another topic--- I wanted to spare her hormones but nobody seems to do this kind of sterilization without desexing. She appears to have had at least one litter. She was found tied to a tree. Thanks for any help to get me started on healthy things to do for this dog.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Congratulations Lil!

Your new pup is one lucky gal!! :dog2::p
Adaptil and/or Rescue Remedy for the back seat. Use both or one of them? Or would essential oil of lavender be better?
All 3 together would be awe-some support. But you may not need to use any of them. Just explain to her that she's going to her forever home with you and she may be so super happy that the car ride is fun and enJOYable for her.
What do I use at home and ongoing? I will use music of course. Can you mix essential oil and homeopathic or do they compete with each other?
Yes, you can mix these all but perhaps see how she does and start with some soothing music from Lisa Spector.
I also need to know how to start detoxing her .
Perhaps start with 1/2 tsp. of fiber mixed in with her food. Fiber is a super effective way to detox and when combined with raw food it helps her body eliminate toxins.

Here's the one I use in my practice:

Have fun and please share any pictures or videos you take of her before leaving the shelter, on her trip home and as she settles in!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Congratulations Lil!

Your new pup is one lucky gal!! :dog2::p

All 3 together would be awe-some support. But you may not need to use any of them. Just explain to her that she's going to her forever home with you and she may be so super happy that the car ride is fun and enJOYable for her.

Yes, you can mix these all but perhaps see how she does and start with some soothing music from Lisa Spector.

Perhaps start with 1/2 tsp. of fiber mixed in with her food. Fiber is a super effective way to detox and when combined with raw food it helps her body eliminate toxins.

Here's the one I use in my practice:

Have fun and please share any pictures or videos you take of her before leaving the shelter, on her trip home and as she settles in!
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina
It is funny you mention Dr. Jeff to tell her she is going to her forever home. That was exactly what I was going to do. I feel she will know. I have been discouraged from taking her by the rescue and they said it might be better if she "went to the Lord? i.e. if they killed her. I had no hesitation to say that she can always go to the Lord later but she needs a chance first AND the silver lining is that if she DID have to be euth for her fears she would be in a safe, calm environment for that to happen versus the "death room." She will be a lot of work but I feel that safety and love can bring her around quickly. I did have practice in 2015 when I adopted one also shut down. On Thanksgiving it took 2 hours to get her out of the crate and outside to potty. The second pic is from when she was brought in. She has a worried look---wrinkly forehead---maybe some shar pei like my others? I can't wait to meet her. The rescue was scaring me saying I should go to NYC, an 8 hr drive to meet her first but I am confident in their behavior assessments and saw no evidence of aggression or I would have dismissed her. She looks like she could be a sweet dog and just needs a chance. I am NOT ready but her life depends on me.... I am either her ticket to freedom or her ticket to death. I rescued 2 other ones from probably euth but his one was HOURS from euth. I will rename her----since she only has a shelter name. Either Brook Lyn or Brooky (she is from Brooklyn), or Apple (she is from the Big Apple), Maxie (sounds like her current name) Isn't she adorable everyone????

masamune NYCACC.jpg

306629368_10218329491629178_2710756440326066037_n.jpg

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff I would like to use up the psyllium fiber I have. The dose is 1 tablespoon for people. Should I give 1 teaspoon to Blossom (newly adopted pet ) Also I suppose this can only be put on wet food for palatability? She is not eating the Rawbble anymore so tonight I am giving her Primal and some turkey and squash and dandelion---fresh food... Next question---would Rx Vitamins Clay also detox her at label dose? Should I alternate this with the Psyllium if you say it is ok? I am giving her Colostrum Prosymbiotics, one twice a day and also milk thistle 150 mg twice a day and wondered if those were ok in those doses. I think her CIRDC is improving without the ABX. Thanks for answering my questions to get something healing into her.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Maybe the shelter was afraid to use the word, but she's a pit bull, pretty much 100%. What a sweetie! So, you can bank on her being loving, sensitive, smart, courageous and perceptive to your needs and wants. She should eat just about anything offered, and will want to please you. Be sure to crate train her gently and thoroughly, as she will hurt herself trying to escape if she is afraid. My crates all have serious bends from females of the breed:) But basically, you have a friend for life. I recommend that should you obtain another dog that it be a male. She will rule, but with calm strength once the relationship is sorted, and they will be best buddies. Good on you for saving her!!!!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I had no hesitation to say that she can always go to the Lord later but she needs a chance first AND the silver lining is that if she DID have to be euth for her fears she would be in a safe, calm environment for that to happen versus the "death room."
Bless you Lil!
I suppose this can only be put on wet food for palatability?
You can add it to anything she likes to eat. Maybe try Answer's Fermented Goat's Milk? That tends to be super palatable. If she'll eat the wet food with this mixed in, that's fine as well.
would Rx Vitamins Clay also detox her at label dose?
Yup.
Should I alternate this with the Psyllium if you say it is ok?

Sure, this is fine.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Maybe the shelter was afraid to use the word, but she's a pit bull, pretty much 100%. What a sweetie! So, you can bank on her being loving, sensitive, smart, courageous and perceptive to your needs and wants. She should eat just about anything offered, and will want to please you. Be sure to crate train her gently and thoroughly, as she will hurt herself trying to escape if she is afraid. My crates all have serious bends from females of the breed:) But basically, you have a friend for life. I recommend that should you obtain another dog that it be a male. She will rule, but with calm strength once the relationship is sorted, and they will be best buddies. Good on you for saving her!!!!!
Ginny, you are so direct---she's a pitbull!!! I am laughing. Yeah, I sent a pic to my vet and he said the same or pit bull cross. I never wanted one and shamefully until this one, had breed bias, i.e. fear..... I will do a DNA test but don't want to push anything in her mouth right now. I have learned after only 3 days she is VERY smart as you say. I just tell people she is a mutt so they don't freak out having one of "those" breeds in their neighborhood. I had a female shar pei (Gabby)who was my smartest dog ever and when I got a male was HIS best friend and looked after him (that was JJ). She had calm strength. I DO Feel this dog is already my friend for life. She sleeps next to me and I sleep really well now. Thanks for your kind words because this girl already seems like she is trying hard and trusting after only a few days. I always say I never betray a dog's trust (at least not on purpose--I took JJ to the hospital that killed him in one hour). I always look at her and and know that had I leaned the other way not having confidence to "handle a shut down dog" she would not have been given a second chance. It was good to know my "gut-o-meter" was picking up things that my conscious mind wasn't. That is why, after JJ's experience at the hospital where I started to follow my gut and take him home but then didn't, taught me to consult with my gut and go with my gut. This dog Blossom is here because of that learning experience with JJ almost 4 months ago.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Bless you Lil!

You can add it to anything she likes to eat. Maybe try Answer's Fermented Goat's Milk? That tends to be super palatable. If she'll eat the wet food with this mixed in, that's fine as well.

Yup.

Sure, this is fine.
@Dr. Jeff I notice a change in BEAM in Blossom since I started to feed her more fresh food. She would not eat the Rawbble kibble anymore so I bought some Primal frozen nuggets and added some cooked ground turkey. Still giving her Milk Thistle 150mg twice a day and the Pro Symbiotic colostrum 1 capsule twice a day(expired last year though) She is vomiting slightly with each meal now. What am I doing wrong? She would not eat the Rawbble so could not do the slow approach to the diet change. She does NOT want the goat milk OR the primal broth I offered her the past few days. She is eating braunschweiger with her pills with some lunch meat and some treats in the snuffle mat so I can go out. What do I need to do. She still has the gaggy cough but mostly in the morning, nothing at night or when resting. I have held off on antibiotics. She was producing white foam but not so much now if at all. Her energy is lower also. Before the fresh diet it was hard to keep pace with her walking. Now she doesn't want to go or goes slower. This is all since the diet change as I stated. I don't know what to feed her , go back to the Rawbble and just wait for her to eat it? Nux Vomica but how do I administer that? So many issues to tease out ...... Thanks for any suggestions.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Have you tried other, more bland, human foods?
Cooked chicken, fish or beef? It sounds like she is eating the turkey, so do that for a few days.
Cottage cheese or other sharp cheeses? parmesan?
try just a fingerful of every food in the house that is not processed.
Stay off antibiotics for now.

Keep focused on how wonderful she is, how she is in her permanent home, how you love her. Only when recording the symptoms do you focus on the symptoms. What we think of is more likely to manifest.

And I would check with an animal communicator.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I don't know what to feed her , go back to the Rawbble and just wait for her to eat it?

A bland diet like low fat cottage cheese and mushy rice (cook it until it s a mush) as Dr. Christina mentioned would be wonderful to try. Especially if you can find something she loves.:snowman:
Nux Vomica but how do I administer that?
1 pellet added to 1 cup of water. Succuss 10x, dip a Q-tip into it and touch the swab to her gums (just lift her lip).

LilF

Community Member
Registered
A bland diet like low fat cottage cheese and mushy rice (cook it until it s a mush) as Dr. Christina mentioned would be wonderful to try. Especially if you can find something she loves.:snowman:

1 pellet added to 1 cup of water. Succuss 10x, dip a Q-tip into it and touch the swab to her gums (just lift her lip).
Yes. I kinda forgot I gave it to her but she did get better after that. I always forget to succuss..... I put some on her muzzle and she licked it. Will try and see how she accepts me in her mouth.She does like petting her cheek though. I am going to get some basmatti rice today..did not know to cook to mush but know I do! She has been gobbling up the bison and squash and veggies. Will add some rice for satiety.. Thanks!!! All the support and info has made all the difference.....

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Have you tried other, more bland, human foods?
Cooked chicken, fish or beef? It sounds like she is eating the turkey, so do that for a few days.
Cottage cheese or other sharp cheeses? parmesan?
try just a fingerful of every food in the house that is not processed.
Stay off antibiotics for now.

Keep focused on how wonderful she is, how she is in her permanent home, how you love her. Only when recording the symptoms do you focus on the symptoms. What we think of is more likely to manifest.

And I would check with an animal communicator.
Dr. Christina
I would love to connect with the animal communicator. I think I wrote down in one of our conversations the one you mentioned. I would love to do a reading on all my past dogs too, especially what JJ went through--although that one may be painful :-( Blossom is a very loving dog just like Ginny said too. Today I found out she likes a squeaky toy (plush snake) I brought out---she carries it around like her new best friend. Although I can see her potential to shredding it so maybe she should be supervised with it) She has been here one week now. That cough is mostly gone, really since she started to eat real food, so no antibiotics needed. Her zoomies are back. Going to the store today and will pick up some organic choices for her. Would like to substitute cheese for braunschweiger for her pills/supplements. When I have things to try I feel calmer than doing nothing so thanks for the ideas Dr. Christina!!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
For communication perhaps see what Cathy says regarding Blossom:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
For communication perhaps see what Cathy says regarding Blossom:

This looks good. Says she lives in NY too..... That is where Blossom is from. Will send my email.... I have loved my sessions with animal communicators in the past but have not done so since about 2013. I have catching up to do. Thanks!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Ginny, now that it has been about a month since I have Blossom, you were spot on..... She is all of the above and I was quite shocked about "perceptive to your needs and wants." She leaped at a squirrel at night and almost knocked me over. I yelled and she seemed to right away know that she should not have done that (even though I know it is instinct) but she seemed so sorry. She loves her pushie toys and lays on them rather than destroy them, treating them like her puppy. She DOES eat anything offered. She loves sauerkraut and buttered toast and apples. None of my other 5 dogs liked any of that. I enjoy her tremendously. When workers come to my home, she does bark and run the fence line till I tell her they are here to help me. You said to talk to her and thank her for being a good girl. She is now able to stay at least 3 hours at home by herself and I thank her for being so helpful and good. She learns fast. Still working on riding in the car. She goes in readily and always wants to go into the car, and I drive a short way up the street. I think my own hesitation and fear of failure or remembering that prior reaction keeps me from really accelerating the progress. I have bends in my crates from my prior shar pei's who tried to get out of crates and fences. When I talk to neighbors during walks, she just lays on the ground well behaved. I know she was sent to me for a reason, maybe by my other two dogs---JJ and Gabby. She is much like Gabby and JJ both but I do not . Thank you for your insight on her and thought I would let you know how she is shining!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Doggone it, Lil - made me cry! I'm SO happy for you! You deserve all the happiness in the world, as you were so kind and solicitous with your former guys. And, yes, I like to believe they all communicate, and send one another to fill our needs. Keep it up with the praise and reassurance; no such thing as too much:) They live to please us.

Love,

ginny and Yuji

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Ginny--- Admittedly I had breed bias and fear to get any dog with any pit in it. But my intuitive gut allowed me to override it (not too bad for an old folk set in her ways, huh?) JJ taught me to "listen and pay attention" to your gut...had I done so with him, he would have had a happy death instead. YOUR encouragement made me venture out with Blossom for a longer car ride yesterday--she was fine as long as the chicken didn't stop. I am thankful for the benefit of your insight and experience and I am sure borne out of some mistakes as we all have gotten smarter with each dog. Right now I am trying to understand HER as much as she understands ME..... I try and tell her that long as I am around she doesn't have to worry about going back to that shelter. I can't wait to see her layers unfold and her name says: Blossom. Thanks Ginny for helping keep me on the track with less fear.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jean Hofve Pure Encapsulations has so many formulations. The one below does not have choline. It does have chromium which I did not know about need or safety in dogs. A long time ago they used to say supplementing chromium in the picolinate form in humans was bad for the liver. Some of these formulations have beta carotene. Has the fear about beta carotene in supplements causing lung cancer been dispelled (of course beta carotene in food is fine)

Pure Encapsulations also has a formula with Vit. D but that one is 2000 IU's. Is that too high? I think that formula is the Pure Encapsulations ONE formula which I did not link below because it disappeared when I left the page to copy the other link.

Anyway if you know of which Pure Encaps formula is ok, let me know please. They have so many, iron free, copper free, it is hard to know which one is just a basic one. I do like the forms of selenium and B12 in these formulas. Thanks when you get a chance...

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff Can I stop giving Blossom the fiber now? Her last vax was Sept 30th and don't know how long to continue some of the detox ideas. I was giving fiber one meal and the Clay another meal... Can I stop them both? The clay has "aluminum" something or other in it----is that the kind that causes dementia possibly in humans---aluminum? Did not want to give that continously. If I learned one thing here is to not give everything all the time and change things up. With the other dogs it was the same thing day after day with supps and year after year for the MOST part. I try to remember that the food itself is the key. So I did stop giving her the Rehoming Jackson Galaxy too AND got her off the Trazadone too!!! I did order the Ellevet CBD softgels to help with the travel. I will get those this week. I am thinking that she is so comfortable here that like Ginny said maybe she will just trust me enough to go and know I won't take her anyplace scary (although JJ thought that too and I took him to the scary hospital where he died--:( still have to talk to an animal communicator on that AND Blossom. Thanks all.... I am so happy with this new dog and getting used to her breed which is sweet and not at all like her stereotype. She REALLY IS so perceptive of my needs and doesn't pester when I am busy. I just love her so much and she bonded so quickly. I hope I never let her down UNintentionally like with JJ who I just wanted to get medical help.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom