• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Eye goo

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Whats with all the green eye goo? I was at the Berner picnic today with 70+ Bernese Mountain Dogs (so much fun!) and I would say 80% had eye goo. Murphy had it in his right eye this morning , I wiped it out and it was back within 20 minutes. Any ideas?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Definitely Dana!

The green eye discharge is a symptom of mild inflammation of their conjunctiva.

Possibly from an external trigger like an allergen, or from an internal imbalance.

Usually it depends on a combination of both based on individuality.

The best approach starts with interpretation of the symptom in context so you can decide what to do.

These decisions depend on things like whether the eye discharge is associated with other symptoms, a dusty environment, with a scratched cornea, or after a homeopathic medicine, etc.

In general, hot compresses on the eye and lubricating eyedrops used 3-4x a day are great support.

Good OTC eyedrop brands include Genteal and Systane.

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
the goo is back! I have noticed it in a lot of dogs and cats these days.... If I wipe Murphy's eyes it comes back in minutes... could it be dry eyes?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Did his BEAM, or any other symptom (eye redness or squinting) also change?

Did he have any goop in 2020?

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Did his BEAM, or any other symptom (eye redness or squinting) also change?

Did he have any goop in 2020?
his right eye had green goo in October last year for about a week. This episode has been going on for a week now. BEAM is good, head shaking actually seems better (not great but better). No squinting. His eyes look a little pink but not bad.

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
update: as suggested, I dosed Murphy with Merc viv 30C 15Q-tip on Thursday. Friday morning the goo was all but gone. It came back Friday afternoon. This morning he woke up with a very sticky eye so I redosed.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the info. Dana!

Was there any change in BEAM after dosing?

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the info. Dana!

Was there any change in BEAM after dosing?
no noticeable change in BEAM.... It is hard to judge his timidity as we have not been in a situation that might spook him.

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Buxton has had eye discharge in his left eye only for several weeks. Sometimes green but most often brown. I wipe it out in the morning and don’t usually need to wipe again until next morning. His BEAM is good so I haven’t worried about it. It is gradually lessening. No symptoms of rubbing or head shaking. Should I use OTC eye drops?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Debbie!

Lubricating OTC drops like Genteal, Systane or Oculenis (previously Remend) would be wonderful support while his eye heals naturally.

Even better would be to hold a hot compress held over his eye for 5 minutes before you use the drops.

As you know, this kind of eye discharge is often related to allergies and environmental factors.

Has he had this symptom before?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Whats with all the green eye goo? I was at the Berner picnic today with 70+ Bernese Mountain Dogs (so much fun!) and I would say 80% had eye goo. Murphy had it in his right eye this morning , I wiped it out and it was back within 20 minutes. Any ideas?
One of my dogs gets a watery eye, occasionally, mostly in the mornings. I have seen green goo rarely and the vet did not find anything wrong with the eye. When the watery eye is significant I have used Similasan and it clears it right up. They have different formulas. I use the Pink Eye formula. I have used it on myself too with gritty sensation in the eye and it works well for the dog and me. The Similasan is homeopathic.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing Lil!

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Similisan is great--I use it for my own dry eye. The whole eye goop thing is a big ol' can of worms. I have a friend who was writing a book about it, and I've helped her with research. However her husband passed recently and I don't want to bug her, but I think she is also letting perfect be the enemy of good. I'll see if I can nudge her along.

Cyd

All-Access Member
Registered
One of my dogs gets a watery eye, occasionally, mostly in the mornings. I have seen green goo rarely and the vet did not find anything wrong with the eye. When the watery eye is significant I have used Similasan and it clears it right up. They have different formulas. I use the Pink Eye formula. I have used it on myself too with gritty sensation in the eye and it works well for the dog and me. The Similasan is homeopathic.
I love Similisan eye drops, I make sure I have the assortment of their various homeopathic combinations, I really feel & notice a difference after use & they can be applied while wearing contact lenses. I like using Similisan in my dogs' eyes because they are 100% pure & natural & they can be used as often as necessary. The unique dropper bottle dropper makes it easy to get into their eyes & my dogs always seemed to feel relief after using.

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Similisan is great--I use it for my own dry eye. The whole eye goop thing is a big ol' can of worms. I have a friend who was writing a book about it, and I've helped her with research. However her husband passed recently and I don't want to bug her, but I think she is also letting perfect be the enemy of good. I'll see if I can nudge her along.
Thank you Dr. Jean! I purchased the Similsan and while the goo is not totally gone, it has drastically reduced down to simple "sleepies" in the morning.... MUCH better!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom