• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Constitutional Homeopathic Remedy - Advice sought

GraceL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello, I just joined this group. I would appreciate some homeopathic advice about helping my female dog (3years 9 months old) who started to be prone to colitis after food indiscretion or after a stressful event (being at the vet for example) since a year ago. She also tends to have ear infections (we live in a tropical country with very high levels of humidity all year round) and more recently recurring skin rashes/infections. And since January 23rd she started having sporadic urine incontinence leaks at night while laying on her bed that I feel are related to some pain in the area--my suspicion being gastro intestinal pain or discomfort. Urine analysis have twice been negative for WBC and bacteria. Blood work 12 days ago shows nothing unusual either. Bladder ultrasound also showed nothing suspicious. She has been given Carprofen to relieve the discomfort but I can't say it totally works as she has had leakage episodes even while on Carprofen. Since July last year she has moved from commercial food to home cooked (beef, pumpkin and other vegetables) and we have regularly given her probiotics, omega 3 fish oil, enzymes and pre-biotics. I think her system needs rebalancing and although I have no experience with constitutional homeopathic remedies (my own daughter has used homeopathic remedies for specific symptoms since she was one year old) I am thinking that this could be something my dog needs. I also live in a country where an integrative holistic vet is not available. My own research is pointing to Kalium Carbonicum but I am far from being trained to be confident of this. My dog is not particularly affectionate even when her breed typically is. She tolerates being petted/touched but does not particularly welcome it. She is very chill/relaxed in personality but I do detect some nervousness. She loves food and is highly driven by food and seeks food even while suffering from colitis. I would welcome a chance to do a tele/online consultation about her case too. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance and apologies

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to HA! Grace, and thanks for making your first post. ? Sorry about my slow reply.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all of these health challenges in such a young pup.

You and your vet have done an amazing job working her up!

Yes, it sounds like a gastrointestinal issue that may be triggering the occasional incontinence. I;d therefore

I agree with you that homeopathy is the best way to treat her.

However, I'd first be fine-tuning everything you can regarding her lifestyle and environment.

For example, what does her diet look like on a day-to-day basis? Is it always beef, pumpkin and other vegetables? How do you cook her diet and how much is it varied? Also, perhaps try varying her probiotics and adding kimchi or other fermented foods to her diet.

How much sniffing time and environmental engagement does she get?

Regarding homeopathy, you may want to read more about Nux vomica before giving her anything. Also, would you consider working virtually with a vet homeopath in the US? Both I and @dr_ judy herman can work this way. In addition, here's a referral list of other vet homeopaths, some of who will also take on new virtual patients:

Good luck and you'll definitely get other ideas from @Dr. Christina when you talk tomorrow.

GraceL

All-Access Member
Registered
Welcome to HA! Grace, and thanks for making your first post. ? Sorry about my slow reply.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all of these health challenges in such a young pup.

You and your vet have done an amazing job working her up!

Yes, it sounds like a gastrointestinal issue that may be triggering the occasional incontinence. I;d therefore

I agree with you that homeopathy is the best way to treat her.

However, I'd first be fine-tuning everything you can regarding her lifestyle and environment.

For example, what does her diet look like on a day-to-day basis? Is it always beef, pumpkin and other vegetables? How do you cook her diet and how much is it varied? Also, perhaps try varying her probiotics and adding kimchi or other fermented foods to her diet.

How much sniffing time and environmental engagement does she get?

Regarding homeopathy, you may want to read more about Nux vomica before giving her anything. Also, would you consider working virtually with a vet homeopath in the US? Both I and @dr_ judy herman can work this way. In addition, here's a referral list of other vet homeopaths, some of who will also take on new virtual patients:

Good luck and you'll definitely get other ideas from @Dr. Christina when you talk tomorrow.
Thank you so much Dr. Jeff. I would like to work virtually with either yourself or Dr. Judy. Is the online questionnaire on the home vet website the first step to getting a spot on the waiting list?

I have read up on Nux Vomica and I do think it may be the better match to try. A few days ago, her vet prescribed5 days of metronidazole 200mg which I gave with a heavy heart (she has been getting antibiotics (2 prescriptions of metronidazole +1 prescription for marbocyl and 1 co-amoxiclav) from the vets since 28th December and this is the 5th prescription) and she is now on the third day. For this round of colitis she did respond to the medication and the symptoms that started 14 days ago stopped. I wanted to see if the medicine would work on its own by not giving her psyllium or slippery elm or licorice extract or chamomile tea or probiotics which are my usual "natural" remedies for when she gets diarrhea. I really really want to get her started on homeopathy asap. Can I try the nux vomica while she is taking metronidazole or wait till she finishes the prescription on Sunday?

Re: diet we stuck to beef and pumpkin because we have been afraid to trigger her colitis by introducing anything else. Right now she is on cooked chicken breast as we'd like to get over the latest colitis episode with something bland. Will try giving a variety and would you suggest to start with a novel meat to begin with? She's been exposed to lamb, chicken and beef so far.

I greatly appreciate the support I'm receiving so far as a new HA member. Thanks so much.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Grace. ?

Yes, submitting a new client questionnaire is the first step.

Yes you can use both (but you might want to use a 6c daily if you continue the metronidazole). But you may not need to continue the metronidazole after you give the Nux. The colitis symptoms may resolve naturally and gradually after the Nux.

The next step is restoration of her microbiome with a variety of probiotics.

When she is doing better, it may be time to "tweak" her diet, e.g. offer plenty of variety,

GraceL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks Dr Jeff!

I started her with Nux Vomica 6C liquid that I got from a local homeopath and started giving it (4-5 drops) at night (2 hours after any food) at bedtime from Friday while she was on Day 3 of metronidazole. She finished/completed the 5 day course of metronidazole on Sunday evening. I continued giving the Nux Vomica daily from Friday at the same time of day. I would sucuss the remedy by hitting the bottle on my palm about 30 times before giving her 4-5 drops on her gums via a plastic spoon. She had her last dose of the remedy last night.

As mentioned earlier the diarrhea had already stopped after 2 days of metrodinazole which was before I gave the nux vomica for the first time. And her last incontinence epsiode was on the 26th of February. But this morning (Wednesday) when she got up we saw small urine leak drops and tiny puddles around where she lay on the floor. And she had another urine leak episode (teeny tiny puddles and wet hind leg coat) at 1pm in the kitchen. The change I see is that there are now 2 leak episodes within a day. Before this she would only have one episode if she had any; and it would be leakage while asleep at night. Only at one other time in the past 7 weeks did she leak during the day.

I have almost completed watching the Empower Hour videos on Homeopathy including the one that talked about how to observe for the effects of a remedy (Cure, Palliative, Suppression). I am not sure how to assess in this case. I would say her BEAM since the start of Nux Vomica has been the same as before giving the remedy. Only her appetite at this point is robust (was also robust while she was sick with colitis)—Behavior, Energy and Mood remain somewhat lower—maybe 75 percent of normal.

I wonder if I should stop giving the Nux Vomica and observe further. Wondering if the return of the incontinence episodes is a sign of aggravation that shows that Nux is the right remedy. At the same time, the incontinence is the most recent symptom she has shown as colitis has been on and off for about a year now (and incontinence seems to be more “serious” or more “internal” than the colitis) so I am not sure how to interpret this symptom’s return after giving Nux.

Would very much appreciate any thoughts you can share about this.

Thanks again!
Grace

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I think I might stop with the dosing of Nux, and just watch and wait. It takes a while for the remedy's effect to percolate through the system and let the body respond. Then we can see more clearly what is left, and the metronidazole will be all out, too.

GraceL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the advice and recommendation. Appreciate it. Since writing my last post Zoe had 2 more leak episodes this afternoon while laying around the house. So today’s 4 leak episodes is an all-time high since Jan 23rd when the incontinence symptom started. I took her for a half-hour sniffing walk in the afternoon and I saw her sniffing and walking normally with her usual amount of interest and engagement. She pooped and remains diarrhea-free too.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Grace!

I agree with Ginny about stopping the remedy, Now's the time to watch and wait.

The urine incontinence is a great "confirmatory" symptom for whether we are on the right track. However it is unlikely to be a "guiding" symptom unless you can associate any specific modalities with it (things associated with or that trigger it, or clearly make it better, worse).

Please remind me if you have done a recent urine or blood panel for her.

Keep up the hour extra of therapeutic sniffing to help her BEAM get back to 100%!

We're rooting for 'ya... :thumbsup: :pup:

GraceL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks Dr. Jeff!

I've stopped the remedy and will observe. I definitely need more time to observe for the modalities associated with the incontinence. One possible modality is the symptoms appear some hours after some amount of play or exercise (playing tug, fetch) but I'll need to observe further to confirm this.

We have done 2 urine analyses and a blood test between 23rd January and 20th Feb. Seems there was nothing unusual seen in those tests. Today I submitted a urine sample for a culture and will know more in a few days.

I did give her this supplement today for the first time. Bladder Support Soft Chews - VetClassics But I think this might muddle the observation period so I'll stop giving it.

Greatly appreciate the support!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Grace! ?

That looks like a wonderful supplement to use after you assess the action of the Nux.

I also love their CAS Options immune support supplement.

GraceL

All-Access Member
Registered
You're welcome, Grace! ?

That looks like a wonderful supplement to use after you assess the action of the Nux.

I also love their CAS Options immune support supplement.
Hi Dr Jeff, I've been observing Zoe for a week since stopping Nux Vomica to observe her symptoms and BEAM. This is what happened from the day of the incontinence episodes on Wednesday. We have not given any medication, remedy or supplement during this period.

The incontinence did not recur after Wednesday.
The next day (Thursday) her diarrhea returned for the first time after completing the metronidazole on Sunday. Had 2 episodes with some straining. Sent a stool sample to the vet for testing.
No diarrhea on Friday. BEAM seemed better.
Saturday diarrhea returned. BEAM worsened.
Sunday she did not poop. BEAM improved.
Monday improved stool but not completely normal. BEAM stable.
Tuesday her stool worsened from the day before and straining returned. BEAM stable.
I've also noticed her licking her genital area a few times since the weekend. Wondering if she is feeling some pain again.

Today her stool analysis report came back positive with very high levels of C. perfringens Alpha Toxin (CPA) Gene Quantity. I've attached the report.

I'm wondering if it is time to give another dose of Nux Vomica to help support her.

Many thanks in advance!
Grace

Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 8.04.09 PM.png

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sure, you can now see if she responds to another dose of Nux, but I suspect that there may be another remedy she'll eventually need.

The new remedy would be based on the totality of her internal and external symptoms throughout life.

Are you working with a vet homeopath to help activate your pup's deeper healing?

Have you done a trial of Panacur or Safe-Guard (fenbendazole) to see if it helps her chronic stool symptoms? This is a conventional dewormer but is simple and safe.

GraceL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello everyone,

It's been 3 months since my last post but thought to share an update of how things have been going with Zoe, thanks to the wonderful support from Dr. Jeff and Dr. Christina via this forum and the monthly member calls. I'm very grateful.

Since my last post in March:
- Our vet gave her another round of antibiotics in early April (Tinidazole) and I gave it to Zoe and saw how she had a lot of discomfort and urine leak episodes even while having perfect looking stools. After this round I became convinced that antibiotics were only improving her stool quality temporarily but causing discomfort and I do believe now that the discomfort then causes the urine leak episodes.

-After this I decided not to give her any more antibiotics and focused on looking for the fitting homeopathic remedy and improving her gut health with a variety of probiotics (thanks to the Empower Hour videos I have introduced Mitomax to Zoe) and herbal supplements.

April: Introduced Mitomax, Adored Beast Gut Soothe, Adored Beast Liver Tonic, Adored Beast Phyto Synergy. Her vet also had us give her Vitamin B injections because her cobalamin test came out very low.

May: Introduced NHV Plantaeris (herbal diarrhea support)

June: Introduced a Nucleotide food supplement

-Re: homeopathy remedy, after not seeing further improvement with Nux Vomica I started trying different remedies (in a very fumbling way) and ended up thinking that maybe Arsenicum Album could work--considering she had(has) Clostridium Perfingens overgrowth and Arsenicum Album being a food poisoning remedy. I tried it using Boiron 30c pellets dissolved in water and gave the first dose on the 10th of May. I think that for the most of May I re-dosed a bit too frequently (still struggling with patience and waiting). After the first few doses over a 5 day period some of Zoe's old symptoms started to recur. For example she had a urine leak (after 1 month of no leak incidents) and then two more incidents after that. Looking back at the journal I noticed that the urine leaks happened after giving her consecutive doses or Ars Alb over 2-3 days. One day after the consecutive doses she also suddenly started shaking her head and scratching her right ear and we saw that it was quite red and had some build-up. Two days after we noticed a smelly anal gland and indoor butt scooting. After a member's call with Dr. Christina I decided to observe further to see whether these could be signs that this remedy could be the right one (old symptoms returning) but was reminded to wait longer between doses and to look more broadly in terms of signs including BEAM before re-dosing instead of focusing mainly on the stool quality.

This month she has not had a urine leak. After a re-dose I find that her stools sharply improves (not back to normal but a large noticeable improvement) until about a week's time before deteriorating. Her anal gland has not acted up again. Her right ear is better after we treated it with Mister Ben's tonic and has been somewhat stable. We noticed some flaky skin rashes on her chest and armpits at the end of May but now they are noticeably resolving. I have been better at refraining from re-dosing too soon. She has had 2 sniff-only and 1 liquid dose in the last 16 days. I began having her sniff instead of ingesting because I'm sensing that she's a bit sensitive given her reactions in May.

We indulged her with a considerable extra helping of her usual food on her birthday and for the next 3 days her stools deteriorated. I thought she needed Nux Vomica for the overeating and gave her that. There was slight improvement of the stool the next 2 days but on the third day it greatly worsened. So I gave her Ars Alb 30c again by mouth. The day after her stools were just as bad. Reviewing the journal and seeing that her stools worsen every 6-7 days I recalled something about maybe using a higher potency so I gave her Ars Alb 200ck but only by sniffing. Soon after sniffing the remedy something peculiar happened--she spontaneously went to her favourite toy and picked it up and asked me to play tug with her which has not happened in quite while now. The rest of the day the poop did not improve and also her left ear became itchy and red. Then the next day (today) her stools had a remarkable improvement.

BEAM wise I would say we are noticing an improvement in the last 6 weeks vs the rest of the first half of the year particularly when compared with the time she was still on the antibiotics on and off. But there have been no observed dramatic changes similar to what happened yesterday with the toy.

Will continue to watch what happens and how things change. But would love to hear any feedback about whether these observations seem to indicate that Arsenicum Album is the right remedy. And would love feedback/input about using sniffing instead of ingesting, or assessing her sensitivity.

With appreciation,
Grace

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for posting this, Grace.

We can all learn so much from each others' experiences.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, awe-some teaching post. Thanks so much for making it Grace! ?

Fantastic that Zoe is doing better and you found a helpful remedy.?:dog:

GraceL

All-Access Member
Registered
Wow, awe-some teaching post. Thanks so much for making it Grace! ?

Fantastic that Zoe is doing better and you found a helpful remedy.?:dog:
All of this has been made possible through the support I found from you and Dr. Christina and the HA resources and videos. ? Looking forward to Zoe's onward healing.

On a separate topic I myself recently had a big experience with a homeopathic remedy. A few weeks back I had what I later learned was a gallstone attack. The pain came on suddenly one evening and was intense for more than an hour and the residual pain kept me up the whole night. I had never encountered that pain before. For some reason after suffering for 10 hours I thought of nux vomica and took some 30c pellets out of desperation and without any expectation. To my shock after 15 minutes the residual pain disappeared like a switch had been turned off. Only after I confirmed the gallstone attack at the doctor's and researched more on nux vomica did I see that nux vomica is also indicated for gall bladder problems. What interesting things to learn!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry to hear about your gallstone attack but fantastic that you were able to relieve the intense pain in 15 minutes!

Fantastic Grace!

BTW-It would be great if you made a separate post with your experience so "Dr. Google" can find it easier.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
A few more "soothe the gut" ideas.
From Dr. Khalsa's Natural Dog is a recipe for dogs with diarrhea.
Cook 2 C basmati rice in 6 cups of water for 15 minutes (I would do 30 mins). The mixture should be soupy - add water if needed. Mix in 3 eggs, beaten, and cool. It will firm up as it cools.
And for Anitra Frasier inThe Natural Cat - bran is good to absorb liquid from the GI tract (in dogs or cats).

GraceL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks Dr. Christina!
I introduced some basmati rice to her meals yesterday and today.

Also, I am rethinking my use of Mister Ben's Tonic for her ears when they turn reddish and itchy. I'm worried about suppressing something and working against her over-all healing. I am thinking of maybe just cleaning with Mister Ben's ear wash solution instead of using the tonic. The ingredients for the wash are: witch hazel, vinegar, aloe, spearmint, turmeric. Would any of these obstruct a homeopathic remedy?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Grace-

My two cents would be, that his will probably not interfere but it depends On Zoe's individuality and sensitivity.

True Blue ear wipes are very effective and are less drying (they don't have witch hazel in them):

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom