• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Severely anemic cat

AnneH

All-Access Member
Registered
Our severely anemic 3-yr-old cat Tip, having completed 30 days of prednisolone, is scheduled to have new labs taken tomorrow afternoon, before tapering down, as she also had in June of 2020. I hope I have successfully inserted all of Tip's lab reports here. The vet has kindly offered, to save us money, to only test red blood cell counts and hemocrit. Is this wise, based on reviewing the rest of her charts?
Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 2.52.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 3.00.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 3.09.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 3.13.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 3.15.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 3.16.39 PM.png

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Yes, a hematocrit and a red cell count is good as an interim check.
At some point you will want to repeat the complete CBC to evaluate the white cell numbers, but that is not significant to determining whether you want to taper the pred. The platelet values are normal, and the MCV and MCH are indicators of the size and density of the red cells; again, not necessary to know at this time.
I would like to see the chemistries in another month, to see if the proteins (specifically globulin) normalize, and to check that the other values stay in the normal range. You could do a CBC and chemistries together in a month or so.
Keep us posted!
Dr. Sara

AnneH

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr. Sara! Vet was surprised Tip looks so good. Thanks to you and everyone at HA! Tip's humans are becoming better pet parents :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great news Anne that Tip looks so good and is happy!

Did you implement any holistic actions between May and June? I wonder how your vet explains the 175% increase in HCT?

Simple HA! are the keys to healing.

I just spoke with @RobynS who has two kitties with objective (glucose and thyroid test results) improvement just from promoting purring, increasing environmental engagement and generally just doing things that make the kitties happy.

Perhaps play with them even more than you already do.

AnneH

All-Access Member
Registered
Between May and June Tip was taking prednisolone for a second time. On prednisolone, Tip has a voracious appetite, and I take advantage of it by feeding her more beef (Answers and RAWganics) with additional organic chicken livers and Ancestral Supplements freeze-dried grass-fed beef organs and liver, which may have caused her protein numbers to go up?!?

August 2017: Young, slender feral cat shows up, fleas and ticks; flea-sensitive, bald spot near tail
10/25/17: Tip's first vet visit, vaccines, dewormer wt: 7.2 lb
1/17: spayed at est. 1 yr, wt: 9.25
2018 - mid 2019: gains weight:12+ lb
Mid 2019: EWS eating dirt, licking rocks
Early August 2019: severe symptoms hiding, no appetite, rapid, shallow breathing, no energy or vitality
8/13: tests, vet thought lymphoma, prednisolone shot, then palliative prescription wt: 8 lb
Early January 2020: Tip off of prednisolone after long taper
Mid-February 2020: EWS eating dirt, licking rocks
March: Tip 12lb, maybe more, began diet
May: severe symptoms hiding, no appetite, rapid, shallow breathing, no energy or vitality
5/7 to vet, tests(5/9), prednisolone for 2 weeks before taper/doxycycline wt: 11.2 lb
June: 6/9 tests before giving doxy
Late August-September: Great vitality, happiest ever
Early October: EWS
Mid Oct: vet, tests (10/15), prednisolone wt: 12.9
11/12: Lycopodium Q1/10 succussions, 5 drops in 4 oz water, ~1.5 ml 3x/wk
11/20: prednisolone 30-day tests before tapering (see attached file for results)

ferrum metallicum, could I get some from you, 1x or 3x pellets?

Thanks, Dr. Jeff

Attachments

• Tip112120.pdf
    9.4 KB · Views: 2

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing this great info Anne!

Yes, it's possible that the added albumin in the glandular supplements was raising her albumin (the blood protein that was out of range).

The dirt-eating (also called pica) probably was indeed an early warning sign for the imbalance that caused the anemia.

No, I do not stock the low potency Ferrum which can stimulate production of red blood cells. I'm not even sure where you can order it in the US.

NanW

Registered

Yes, it's possible that the added albumin in the glandular supplements was raising her albumin (the blood protein that was out of range).

The dirt-eating (also called pica) probably was indeed an early warning sign for the imbalance that caused the anemia.

No, I do not stock the low potency Ferrum which can stimulate production of red blood cells. I'm not even sure where you can order it in the US.

Amazon: Dr. Reckeweg Ferrum met 3x 20 gms if you haven’t located a source
Hello, I’m coming in late to the discussion. If kitty Tip had flea anemia, what was the length of treatment with doxy? Feral kitty here w/ flea anemia, HCT 12, now in normal range after 30 days Doxy (& creative dosing techniques :))

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

NanW

Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff,
Thank you for the very interesting detailed article! This kitty, was not tested either before doxycycline 30 day treatment nor afterwards. He was treated at a clinic where a rescue organization was helping with financials. They didn’t want to run a PCR test. Joey, a feral boy from the streets, would have had to be sedated in order to get a blood sample. The veterinarian advised not to test also. Doxy was an assumed treatment for assumed mycoplasma. He adapted well as a feral to being wrapped like a burrito in his donut bed to administer the doxy :)) He is out of his cage now with the run of the house and access to a safe large backyard enclosure. He looks to possibly have a residual issue orally w/a small bit of foxtail the clinic may have missed when removing the greater part of it.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Maybe try some Liquid Immuno to help boost his body's ability to get rid of the residual foxtail:

NanW

Registered
Maybe try some Liquid Immuno to help boost his body's ability to get rid of the residual foxtail:

Thank you Dr. Jeff! This looks well-suited to feral kitty food dosing <3

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom