• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Treat Ideas for Training Class

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
@jenbridwell & @LisaW -- I'll be starting Charlie in a Basic Manners class this coming Sunday. I need some ideas on small treats to use in class and then for practice at home. I'm assuming he'll be getting more than what he usually gets.

Thanks!

Kristen

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
What fun! I hope that you have a great time. I like to use tiny bits of cheese, dried minnows broken up in pieces, and tiny bits of jerky. It is helpful to have lots of fabulous tiny treats, as the quality and frequency of treating is way more important than the size of the treat.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you so much for the ideas. I'm very excited and Charlie will love being around other dogs.

Right, I know the treats have to be tiny because of the frequency. My poor hand, hopefully he'll learn to wait instead of grab for them!

Thanks again!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yay for Charlie!

I love ZiwiPeak Air Dried food for training treats.

I break each little piece into 4ths, so a little goes a long way.

In fact, just this morning I found a few pieces and dust from Ziwi in my training fanny pack.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Great, thank you! I just ordered everything so he'll have a nice variety. The others dogs will be jealous I'm sure!

I'm excited for the both of us!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
No problem, Liz.

The more variety in the pups' diet, the better.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @lizkunz -- I'm packing up to take Charlie to class later today and realized I'm running low. I'm going to try a different kind. He likes them and the size works well.

Kristen

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Well my dogs love Ziwi. They literally go nuts when I go to put their lunch down. Then when I get closer they sit like they are getting a treat. They weren't as crazy about them as the original varieties. But I think it's growing on them. I got the new ones at Chewy.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Charlie loves Ziwi too! I'm only using it for training which we work on every day. I can also say that Charlie loves to eat ANYTHING!!! He loves to be fed!

The new 'flavors' weren't listed on Chewy's site, maybe they sold out already, so I ordered beef. I am trying to look at the TCM properties of food and beef is at least neutral. Charlie may be itching more since training started and I was using lamb & tripe. Lamb is hot so maybe that's part of it.

Thanks Liz!

Kristen

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Kristin! It's hard to find. If you search for Ziwi it doesn't come up

but somehow I found it. It even comes in sample size bags!

Penny and Ernie get a small Ziwi meal usually once a day and then they get a raw or lightly cooked meal which I load their supplements in. Foruntately they are smallish dogs. Then their bedtime snack is Answers Goat Milk Cheese Snacks. They might get even more excited about that than the Ziwi if that is even possible. I know someone who spreads Ziwi around the yard to get them to sniff.

For the itching have you tried Dermoscent Spot on?

Charlie sounds wonderful. Appetite is a good thing. For him and you. He is very fortunate.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Ahhh...thanks for the hint and the links! I'll check it out along with the Dermoscent Spot On.

Penny and Ernie have a nice routine around meals and I'm sure in other ways. I forgot to mention I use the Ziwi with the snuffle mat too. It's so easy to break into small pieces.

Thanks again!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom