• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Mast cell Tumor

AnitaH

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi my Male was recently diagnosed with a mast cell tumor right between his shower and forearm.
I have elected not to put him through surgery. He is 11 yrs old.
I started him on mushrooms extracts but am not if I am using the best ones and best dosages.
He is getting the following extracts:
Shitake
Miatake
Cordyceps
Ashwanda
I am giving 1 ml of each four times a day..so 4ml total daily.
He is also on Bendryl and Prednisone from my vet.
Vet stated he probably has 2-3 months so I relented on the steroids.
I feel the best I can do is give him the most holistic for the time he has,but I am not sure if I am giving all he needs .
He Also gets 12m of astaxanthin daily.
Thought about adding Honey and Collodial.
His appetite, bowel movements and all is still on point.
His tumor was growing rapidly until I added the prednisone.
I appreciate all input.
Thank you,
Anita

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about your pup Anita.:(

Thanks for making your first forum post so we can help guide you on the path to balance.

But first, some other info would be great. For example, other than the appetite you mentioned, how's your pup's BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, and Mood)? These symptoms directly reflect balance and quality of life.

BEAM is your guide to whether your pup is moving toward health and balance.beam.jpeg

What's his breed?

Were there any vaccines or treatments for the weeks before the tumor became visible?

How much pred is he getting?

Did you get a chance to watch Dr. Basko's mushroom webinar that I mentioned in the chat last night?

Which brand of mushrooms are you using?

The D-Fraction of the maitake can also be used along with other mushrooms:

Pet Fraction is a version that you can use for your canine companion:

Here's more mushroom and cancer info:

Take a look as well at OncoSupport from Rx Vitamins:

In my practice I use 2x the dose on the label.

Please let us know your answers and keep us updated in this thread.

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Hi Anita,

I also recommend a product from Standard Process called VF Antronex. Mast cells produce histamine and this whole food product helps clear excess histamine from the system. If the the MCT gets bumped or poked, it can make it mad and histamine is released. It works well in conjunction with Benadryl. Dose depends on the weight of your dog.

I often add Artemisinin, especially if BEAM is good. Could This Plant Be A Canine Cancer Killer?

Keep positive thoughts and intention!

Dr. Sue

AnitaH

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi ,
I apologize for delay in response. The Covid is bad in TX and I've been busy preparing to hunker down for next 30 days..
Ok so there were no vaccinations prior to this tumor surfacing.
Dominico is a pit mix though I dont the mix
He was rescued as a pup.
His Beam.... behavior is positive for most part though he has a day occasionally where I can clearly see he does not feel good..wont wag tail or follow me around etc. Appetitie is through th roof I'm guessing due to steroids . His energy seems good though I've slowed him down from fast movements due to the location of his tumor. His mood is good but he knows something is wrong and he tries to constantly lick his Tumor.. I have a brace on him to cover it up.
He is getting 50mg of prednisone 2x daily.
If I started the Miatake d would I stop the regular Miatake?
I am wanting to know if I should increase his dosages. I will attach pics of the mushroom bottles.20200702_105459.jpg

20200702_105414.jpg

20200702_105445.jpg

20200702_105459.jpg

20200623_081846.jpg

20200618_080912.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Anita-

I'm sorry to hear about the covid challenges in TX, Anita. :(

Regarding your pup, I'd be focusing now on building his cellular energy so his body can do the best possible job of healing.

Regarding doses of the mushrooms, I'd advise individualizing those. For example, alternate the Pet Fraction, using the dose on the bottle, with the maitake you are using.

However, I am not a mushroom expert but Dr. Basko is, and can be contacted through:

Phone: (808) 822-4229
Fax: (808) 822-5229
info@drbasko.com

Regarding cellular energy and vitality, I'd advise at least three, 15 minute snuffle mat sessions in addition to sniffs walks out in the fresh air. Ideally, at least an hour a day.

The snuffle mat and sniff walks are the dog version of pranayama which can help regulate his sympathetic balance and improve his body's ability to heal.

There's also evidence that using topical magnesium oil also increases ATP (the main form of cellular energy).

Here's a thread that tells you how to make magnesium oil at home:

Is he eating a low carbohydrate fresh and varied diet with colored veggies like beets, and kale and fruits like wild blueberries, etc.?

AnitaH

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you,
I will reach out to Dr Basko re Mushrooms.
I was trying to find out info on snuffle mats but did not find anything yet.
I am feeding dry kibble with different vegetables but would be willing to change his diet if I knew what would be best. Cant figure out how to implement Kale..
If I wanted to eliminate kibble might you have recommendations on replacements?
I am going to make the Magnesium at home, I am assuming it is applied to area with no fur?
Thanks again,
Anita

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Anita.

Most of the snuffle mat info you will find is here on the forum but there are many articles about the benefits of "nosework". However, only one (so far) that connects it to cellular energy, quality of life and the ability to heal.

Regarding upgrading diet, your best bet might be to mix in some raw meat, cooked white meat chicken breast and pureed veggies in with each meal.

For much more information about diet options and vitality is the HA! fundamentals and diet information when you log in at the main site.

Yes, apply the magnesium to groin, armpits or other areas with little or no hair.

AnitaH

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Anita,

I also recommend a product from Standard Process called VF Antronex. Mast cells produce histamine and this whole food product helps clear excess histamine from the system. If the the MCT gets bumped or poked, it can make it mad and histamine is released. It works well in conjunction with Benadryl. Dose depends on the weight of your dog.

I often add Artemisinin, especially if BEAM is good. Could This Plant Be A Canine Cancer Killer?

Keep positive thoughts and intention!

Dr. Sue
Thank you for this information. Though my responses are delayed I am looking into and implementing much of the changes, as in diet etc.. I am getting ready to check into this Af Antronex and also the Onco support. Started swapping out kibble for fresh cooked chicken breast with fresh green beans and sweet potatoe.. of course he is loving it and also seems more relaxed even after the first meal.
Have a blessed day,
Anita Hernandez

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great Anita!

AnitaH

All-Access Member
Registered
So is the only method of communicating with Dr Basko via the 15 minute call we get monthly?
I Thought it said on his website he was not available for questions otherwise?
Thank you,
Anita

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Anita-

My understanding is that he does longer phone consultations.

You can contact him directly through his website. Or one of his assistants can also help. Suchi is usually great on email. You can reach her at:

suchi@drbasko.com

Anastasia

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello, everyone. My Yorkie got 2 mast cell tumors that have grown seemingly overnight - he's got one on each side! He is 10 y.o. and appears to be active and eating well, I don't see much difference in his behavior. Vet started him on prednisone, gabapeptin and clavacillin. I am not crazy about all these drugs but he wants to see if the tumors shrink before he takes them out next week.

I never dealt with a diagnosis like that before and it just takes the breath out of you.
I am starting him on B12,zinc sulfate, Hawaii Pharm Detox formula, Medical Medium heavy metal detox (mixing powders with some juiced cilantro).

Mast Cell left.JPEG

Mast Cell right.JPEG

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so sorry to hear about your pup Anastasia. :(

Those supplements sound fine, and you may also want to consider one called Onco Support which is a food and herb based mixtue from Rx Vitamins.

You can also add a broccoli sprout extract like Onco Plex, a mushroom blend such as in CAS Options, and/or the Standard Process supplement that Dr. Sue mentioned earlier (Antronex).

The wild blueberry-kale smoothie would also be great for adding to each meal:

Most important is focusing on anything that will support his natural healing processes such as at least 2- 3 sniff walks/day, using the snuffle mat, and reducing carbohydrates in his food or treats.

Did you notice whether he developed a tumor on one side of his body before the other?

AnitaH

All-Access Member
Registered
So is the only method of communicating with Dr Basko via the 15 minute call we get monthly?
I Thought it said on his website he was not available for questions otherwise?
Thank you,
Anita
Nico passed last Monday
Hi Anita-

My understanding is that he does longer phone consultations.

You can contact him directly through his website. Or one of his assistants can also help. Suchi is usually great on email. You can reach her at:

suchi@drbasko.com

Last Monday I helped Nico cross over. His tumor had grown very fast in the last 8 days before his passing. There was just nothing else I could do and I just wanted to Thank everyone for all of their assistance.
I will attach a picture just to see the aggression of this cancer.
I of course am devastated, but most grateful he did not have days upon days of slow suffering. He is whole again.

20200720_091731.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about Nico. ?

Please let me know if I or HA! can do anything to help.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom