• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Acupuncture "for" arthritis

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
OK I know that I’m going to open a can of worms here. Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of acupuncture therapy when it is practiced according to the guidelines of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM). That is to treat based on totality (just like homeopathy).

Unfortunately many acupuncturists (veterinary and human) use acupuncture as a means for palliating (covering up) symptoms. This is done by ignoring the totality of symptoms of the individual (which *should* be the basis for all holistic therapies) and focusing just on the presenting complaint, e.g. stiffness on rising or lameness associated with arthritis.

Acupuncture is extremely effective (because it works at the same energetic level as homeopathy). When used this way however it isn’t much better (and possibly even worse) than Rimadyl or other non-steroidal ANTI-inflammatories. That’s because it is being directed *against* only one small portion of the entire imbalance of the individual.

You can often tell the difference by the questions which your doctor asked at the initial consultation. Were they looking at the totality or just focusing on the problem at hand? The former usually takes upwards of an hour whereas the latter (including the actual “needling”) can be done during a typical 15 minute office visit.

Anyway, I’ll get off my soap box now and let someone else comment.

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

<blockquote>I am a physiotherapist (physical therapist) working with humans in the UK, many of my colleagues practice acupuncture with great success and I am currently awaiting a course. I am keen to get onto a course with an ‘eastern’ philosophy. However it does strike me as strange that it takes 5 years for an acupuncturist to qualify yet I could do so in 80hrs (plus coursework) I would be interested in hearing more of you views. Particularly your comparison of acupuncture with NSAIDs

When I have had acupuncture myself I find it a very similar sensation to reiki, despite having it done by a colleague with a strongly ‘western’ take on acupuncture. To set the scene, I had an acute injury to my shoulder, which had resulted in myofacial triger points in my upper traps and scalenes, I explained to my colleague what had happened and he needled me, no formal consultation. 20 minutes later I had no pain or restriction and it didn’t return. My collegue reported a strong Da Chi response and I certainly felt warmth and tingling during the treatment.

My view though it may be missinformed would be that by correcting the local imbalance you are helping the whole.

With regards to your views on localised treatments, what are your views on using ice, heat, ultrasound (pro inflammatory), massage locally? Can not a localised treatment stimulate a systemic response? With the exception of massage the others all work on areas of the electromagnetic spectrum, therefore do they provide an energetic response within the body?

To that end I would argue that every action does have a energetic effect working on the theory that all mater is in fact energy. The problem then is to work out which things are having a negative and which a positive effect on the whole.

Would being treated technically well by someone who is in a strongly negative state of mind, or who is working purely for financial gain be better then being treated with less technical skill but with a positive and loving attitude?</blockquote>

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Berry and Willow said:
1-takes 5 years for an accupunturist to qualify yet I could do so in 80hrs (plus coursework) I would be intersted in hearing more of you views.

2- missinformed would be that by correcting the local imballance you are helping the whole.

3- With regards to your views on localised treatments, what are your views on using ice, heat, ultrasound (pro inflamatory), massage locally?

4- Can not a localised treatment stimulate a systemic response?

5- To that end I would argue that every action does have a energetic effect working on the theory that all mater is infact energy.

6. Would being treated techically well by someone who is in a strongly negative state of mind, or who is working purely for financial gain be better then being treated with less techincal skill but with a positive and loving attitude?

1. Thank you for making my point about depth (and length) of training. You only get a taste for TCM and learn “cookbook” accupuncture in a course that spans 80 hours. Financially however, 5 years is much less appealing. Of course with the proper desire, you can continue to learn and advance your knowledge while practicing. I just don’t see that happening with most vet acupuncturists.

2. If you were referring to local removal of a lesion, I would disagree strongly. From the rest of your message however it sounds like you are talking more about palliation, e.g. using soothing topicals, chiropractic, massage, etc. “Taking the edge off” is fine.

3. See #2. BTW-These aren’t just my views. The concept of “curing” the individual with a dis-ease vs. suppressing the specific disease symptoms, e.g. the local lesion, are shared by every Hahnemannian homeopath throughout the world.

4. No. Healing has to be initiated by the Vital Force which gives life to every cell in the body. “Fixing” a local lesion (no matter how it is done) is harmful to the VF and will decrease length and quality of life. It will also increase susceptibility to other chronic problems.

5. I agree.

6. It is definitely better to be treated by an inexperienced healer than a money-grubbing, negative “expert”.

Dr. Jeff

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
My holistic vet would take TCVM pulse of my pup first to determine what area of his body needs a boost or healing....she would look for "stagnation," "damp"...etc then administer the needles at those specific acupuncture points. Is that good?

Another question - Why is it that during homeopathy treatment, most homeopath vets do not recommend acupuncture?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
More great questions, thanks for asking them!

If the TCVM (Traditional Chinese Vet Med) assessment is based on your pup's totality then yes.

Acupuncture is usually avoided during homeopathy because acupuncture + homeopathy may be sending mixed messages to the body and create new symptoms.

This makes it even more difficult to sort out the often subtle symptom signals.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom