• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Can Rescue Pets be Helped With Homeopathy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi friends-

This is a great topic to follow the "when to call it quits" thread!

We're in the midst of our webinar series about newly adopted and rescue pets so I wanted to share some of my experiences with them. Some of them are about to be killed because they are considered to be hopeless.

However, I would disagree with that assessment in most cases, and here's why.

A few years ago I was recruited by our own @beccak to work with the "blacklisted" (and "hopeless") pups at a rescue in FL called On the Wings of Angels (OWAR).

John, Becca's husband and the rescue's director at that time, said the pups were blacklisted because they were aggressive and dangerous (or at least perceived to be).

I recall one story where one of the new rescues there had bitten his police officer handler a few times and at least once so badly that the officer wound up in the hospital.

This pup, and some of the others, could only be transferred into a run that got covered with a sheet to minimize external stimuli and help foster a state of calm.

With patience and perseverance using homeopathy and good relationship-based leadership training, this pup, and others turned around and
learned to be handled without fear or aggression.

Aggressive behavior is just one example of the many ways that these and other rescue pets can be helped homeopathically.

We'll discuss other examples during the webinar and further down in this thread.

For now though, I'd like to share the page I wrote for their website at the time.

Healing From Within

It is my pleasure and honor to be working with and getting to write a little about the unique and individualized medical care for the dogs at On The Wings of Angels Rescue (OWAR) in Odessa FL.

Their approach to rescuing and finding homes for dogs is unique.

It is truly a fortunate dog that finds its way to OWAR. All of the rescues receive the loving care and respect that they deserve. No matter what. There are “No Bad Dogs” at OWAR.

OWAR cares for their dogs holistically. They are able to help their wards at every level: mental, emotional and physical.

Their approach is based in whole-ism and is the essence of everything they do.

Holistic and Individual Care

Almost everything about OWAR is different, starting with how each dog is individually cared for.

Some dogs were just living in unsuitable households. Others, about to be euthanized at other shelters. Some arrive due to serious health issues or injuries.

Many of the pups come to the shelter shy and fearful. Some are so terrified that they try to bite their caretakers. Their transformation into confident and well- mannered dogs is a joy to behold.

No matter the initial presentation, every dog is treated as an individual.

With respect and love.

Sometimes these dogs are so suspicious and distrustful of people that they need to be left on their own for months on end.

Even these dogs needs are met through minimal staff interaction during feeding and cleaning. They are given as much time as they need to acclimate to their new, temporary home.

These dogs can also be helped with homeopathically-chosen medications. Homœpathy is a gentle and side-effect free form of veterinary medicine which I and OWAR use to help many of their dogs.

Unlike psychotropic drugs that artificially alter their brain chemistry, homœpathic treatment resolves problems naturally. Physically as well as emotionally.

Homœpathic treatment can help every dog.

Individual homœpathic prescribing helps many dogs at OWAR to regain and maintain their whole (physical and emotional) health.

Forging Bonds Between the Dogs and Their Guardians

The trainers in Odessa are experts at building happy and healthy relationships with the dogs in their care. This bond and trust form the basis for the training and rehabilitation of every dog.

Even the most recalcitrant dogs can be helped.

The staff at OWAR knows that the signs and symptoms shown by the body are energetic and are often the main clue to health.

The staff respects the symptoms of the body. They know that covering up symptoms with drugs worsens the energetic balance of health. This helps them better rehabilitate dogs and find them forever homes.

Medical care at OWAR includes feeding species-appropriate fresh foods, minimizing vaccinations, reducing exposure to toxins, and maximizing fresh air-exercise-mental stimulation. This lifestyle keeps most of the dogs healthy.

If a dog at OWAR does get sick, s/he benefits from the best of both worlds. The medical care at OWAR uses integrative treatment including advanced diagnostics like MRI, ultrasound and any other indicated diagnostic testing.

The signs, symptoms and diagnosis optimize the resulting treatment program.

Tara Brach in “True Refuge” says:

“When we disconnect from the body, we are pulling away from the energetic expression of our being that connects us with all of life."

Listening to the body often includes homeopathic care. This is the ultimate “whole-istic” treatment method and helps speed recovery.

Finding Forever Homes for the Rescued Dogs

Once acclimated to the kennel, the dogs are taught the basics of living in a home and being a good canine companion. S/he then enters the adoption process. Extensive screening and multiple pre-adoption visits help ensure a good fit with the new guardians.

Both the family and the dog must want to live together. Finding loving forever homes for previously un-adoptable dogs is the ultimate goal at OWAR.

As part of adopting a dog from OWAR, the family may further participate in training with the dog. Training helps ease the transition into the new home and helps the family members to all trust and respect each other.

Proper training and care is essential to a long and happy life together.

The trainers and I are always available to help.

Cherish your loving relationship with your canine companion(s).

This was a great place for rescue pets, right?

Unfortunately their approach is very different nowadays.

Nowadays, drugs are more frequently used to palliate and suppress symptoms using drugs.

"Coincidentally" many of the pets (they also rescued kitties, horses, pigs, etc.) who were doing quite well when their body's were respected passed away within a few months of this change.

Neither John, myself or Becca is still affiliated with this organization.

I'm sorry for the poor animals but this experience was invaluable and hopefully helped some pets.

Respecting the symptoms of the body and using homeopathy saves and transforms lives in my experience.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again-

I've been thinking about how pivotal OWAR was for development of HA!

This story all started with an awe-some woman named Becca who's pup with a mouth tumor I treated who had gotten my name from Dr. Sue Beal.

The rescue's medical personnel (usually 1-3 young women) and I would consult about the Odessa pets for 1-2 hours/w. for a few years.

I just looked at my computer records and see that we treated over a few hundred pets (mainly dogs and cats).

It was an awe-some honor and pleasure to work on cases together.

And then they began working with one particular vet surgeon who didn't like anything that wasn't published in an approved vet journal.

And she was there and I was not.

Over the months, she went above and beyond and eventually became their primary vet.

That was the unofficial end of my relationship with OWAR.

I vividly remember my final conversation with Susan (the manager) when she informed me that the rescue would no longer be using homeopathy.

I had also treated Sadie (Susan's beloved pup) so we both expressed our sadness over parting ways.

During this I thanked her for the fantastic gift of time that the rescue's owner/founder had given me.

This is the time that allowed development of HA!

Last edited:

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Dr Feinman I am grateful for all you did for OWAR and it's many species, including human.
Many of the animals you treated did find homes and all of them found better lives and harmony within their bodies. That harmony spread through the kennel as more dogs were under your/homeopathy care, even the employees would comment.
Homeopathy resonated with some of the staff as well and I am hopeful it is still in practice in their personal lives. Could lead to more some day...

We have one of the rescues with us, Max. You, John and homeopathy is the reason he is alive today. He is good with us, happy, joyful and loving. And a wonderful sense of humor, who knew!? He will bite the stranger that comes down the driveway so I have a leash with me for the unexpected/just in case events (we live in the country) but life with him, and for him, is pretty great.

MaxHA.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, thanks Becca for posting!

I really appreciate your kind words and for the honor of being included in the OWAR experience and experiment (into Vitality and Balance-based treatment).

It was an awe-some few years, and the hundreds of dogs we treated were certainly helped and facilitated development of VBS.

I remember Max well, and yes it is a bit of a surprise that he is nowadays more than the "serious" dog that I knew.

I'm sure you remember the Georgia hoarder dogs (of which Osra was one) and the many others whose lives were transformed.
Osra Before and After.jpg

Yes, I too sincerely hope that some of the staff have continued to treat their own pets or live homeopathically because of the improvements they witnessed.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Gail Pope and Brighthaven are another wonderful example of how many animals who were at the end of their lives lived together in harmony, often for many more years, with homeopathic and holistic treatment.

Over the decades of teaching, I have learned of several dozen shelters and rescues using holistic approaches. I have not kept track of them, though I know that 2 did stop using holistic when there was a board change.

SARA - Shelter Animal Reiki Association - has hundreds of shelters in US and Canada who are using volunteer or staff support to offer Reiki and report increased adoption rates and happiness in the shelters.

Many HA! members consider themselves ambassadors, and offering to volunteer at a shelter, then suggesting holistic options may increase the number interested. Even adding in a few totally safe flower essences can make a difference.

My prayers are that OWAR will return to their holistic ways.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom