• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Decreasing Your Pets Risk of Lyme Using Vitality, Balance and Chickens!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

It was awe-some seeing many of you during last weekend's deeper dive into Vitality and Balance using homeopathy!

Improving your pets Vitality and Balance will improve your their immune systems and increase their resistance to pathogens.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is even more important this time of the year with the up-tick (HA!) in acute diseases like Lyme, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, etc. all carried by ticks.

Some pet parents choose to not even let their pets outside or walk in the grass!

However, even this is not foolproof and can decrease immune resistance by decreasing exposure to the outside environment or Vitality-boosting sunshine and fresh air.

Decreasing immune resistance increases risk from potential pathogens.

As always, it's a balancing act between risk and benefit.

Here's an excerpt from an article about human animals and decreasing risk of TBDs (tick-borne diseases):

WHAT ARE THE RISKS?

The risk of becoming infected with a tick-borne disease largely depends on three factors: the density of the tick population, the proportion of ticks infected with a pathogen (infection rate), and factors relating to human behaviour that influence the risk of exposure. In Europe, up to 3% of nymphs carry the TBE virus and up to 5% of adult ticks. In endemic regions, TBE vaccination is recommended for children and adults who are potentially exposed to the bite of I. ricinus. In Europe, TBE is endemic in 27 countries, including the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, southern Germany, and the Baltic states.3,4 The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control has published a map on tick distribution in Europe.3 Vaccination and tick bite prevention strategies should be exercised for travellers with recreational and/or outdoor exposure in endemic areas.

According to various estimates, around one in ten ticks in Western Europe carries Borrelia burgdorferi s.l., although in some regions this can be as high as one in five. As opposed to TBE, borreliosis can affect people anywhere where I. ricinus occurs. Borreliosis is a notifiable disease in only a few European countries, so numbers reported vary between regions, and large numbers go unreported. The incidence (per 100 000 inhabitants/year) was 43 in the Netherlands, 130 in Switzerland, and 300 in Austria. It has been estimated that >3000 people are affected each year in the UK.3
Click/tap here for an article..

...Ticks are most easily spotted on light-coloured clothing; unfortunately, however, ticks also are preferentially attracted to light-coloured clothing. During outdoor activities in tick-prone areas, the wearing of protective clothing is advisable. This includes light-coloured clothing, long-sleeved shirts, and long trousers with hems tucked into the boots or socks, and the wearing of rubber boots. Walking in the centre of trails is recommended to avoid brushing against any vegetation. When returning home, a shower should be taken soon and a thorough body inspection for any adhering tick should be conducted, with particular emphasis on searching the backs of the knees, armpits, and groin area. Clothing should be placed in a hot dryer for 20 minutes to kill any ticks still present.

(TBE=tick-borne encephalitis)

Click/tap here for the full article.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also, here's an except from the HMDM for Lyme report that can help you maker a more mindful medical decision:

Holistic Medical Decision Making for Patients with Lyme Symptoms

The Holistic Medical Decision Making (HMDM) Protocol can be applied to help individualize each pet with any problematic symptoms.

Let’s do this for Lyme symptoms.

The first thing to note is that most Lyme diagnoses are not an actual acute episode of Lyme disease.

Often these dogs have been diagnosed with a positive Lyme screening test. Their symptoms are vague, if any at all, and BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite and Mood) is normal.

True acute Lyme symptoms are strong and worrisome - suddenly not wanting to get up, limping, lethargy, fever, not eating, etc.

HMDM Step 1. Set a goal

My dog, Rusty, has some of those Lyme symptoms. I would like to use home treatments if possible to build up the vitality and let his body heal the symptoms. This way he will likely be healthier in the long run.
My dog, Susie, is so sick and I am so scared that I am going right to the vet for treatments. Then I will look at holistic support.

HMDM Step 2. Research all your options

The first question is always whether you need to go right to the vet.

Probably not. There are not many life-threatening Lyme emergencies. Some of the common symptoms that would make you suspect Lyme disease are acute lameness (they may be fine one night and be unable to walk the next day), fever, swollen joints that are often not hot, no appetite, hot spots that suddenly appear for no apparent reason, etc. And you remember pulling off some (or many) ticks recently.

Maybe this is Lyme disease, maybe an injury, maybe something else.

Some internet or Holistic Actions research will show you that even though your pet has some Lyme symptoms and a positive test, many pets diagnosed with Lyme actually just have Lyme exposure.

Many other internal imbalances cause similar symptoms even with positive Lyme tests.

You evaluate your comfort level. If you are super panicking, go to the vet clinic though probably there is no need for the emergency clinic.

Research about the condition at your vet, with your health care team, with the Holistic Actions Community. Decide if you need to do any, or any more, tests.

As you continue to research, you see Larry’s Lyme story on YouTube and talk to other friends who treated their pups’ Lyme symptoms with homeopathy.

HMDM Step 3. Implement your action

You decide to use homeopathic stimulation begin the process of selecting the one best medicine that covers the most unique symptoms of your animal.

And some other gentle, 100% safe holistic supports like Flower Essences (like Rescue Remedy), Reiki or prayer, nutrition...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Another great way to decrease risk is to decrease the tick population with birds that eat lots of ticks, like chickens.

Dr. Susan Beal will be discussing this at much greater length during the next Empower Hour! webinar about keeping backyard chickens.

I'll start a separate thread on this great topic including the other benefits of a backyard flock.

Click/tap here (after logging in at the main site) to learn more in the HA! course about preventing and managing Lyme.

Dr. Jeff

PS-Can anyone tell me why I did not hyphenate disease when talking about Lyme?

Last edited:

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for this! My dogs Ernie and Penny were getting groomed this past weekend. As usual we were away from home. We got a call telling us that Ernie had a tick. It was discovered when he was being blow dried. It was an engorged tiny tick and the area was red. So before we picked them up I went to the holistic pet store in the area. They suggested Ledum 30c. By the time we had him back there was no evidence of his tick bite. I dosed him several times with the Ledum. There are no symptons of Lyme. So now I realize I need to take my emergency kit with me. By the way I use Wondercide Flea and Tick spray, they wear a SonicGuard Ultrasonic Tag, and Greensprays takes care of our yard. Currently chickens are not an option.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Liz-

The tick bite should not be an issue for Ernie's Vital, young and well-balanced immune system to handle.

Yes, it is a good idea to travel with your emergency kit as well as a bottle of Path Away to spray any tick bite area.

We'll also be discussing this exact topic (what to do about Lyme) during next week's webinar.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you! I forgot about Path Away. Does that have a shelf life?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sort of.

After 5 years it's often best to get a new supply (and use the old stuff for cleaning counters, etc.).

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Kristen.

Thanks for coming tonight to the Lyme and nosode webinar.

AnnS

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff

This is an old thread. I found two engorged ticks on Buddy this week. We had walked in the woods on Thursday last week, one week ago. I removed them with a tick stick and cleaned with alcohol. I have an appointment to have him tested for antibodies in a month. I don't want to have to deal with Lyme on top of cancer! I will not be walking him in the woods any longer, but I do walk him in parks. My question is: I have flea & tick spray from Dr. Karen Becker/Dr. Mercola's website, It must be 5,6,7 years old. (Actually, I just looked at my records, and was astounded that it was bought 10 years ago!). Lemon Grass, Cinnamon, Sesame Oil, Castor Oil active ingredients. Is this still good? And I see you all are not thrilled with essential oil collars? I am doing the tick course!

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom