• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bumps and lumps

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Having recently lost 2 of my feline furbabies to aggressive lymphoma, last Tuesday when I discovered a very large lump on the lower chest area of my youngest kitty Andy (3/1/2 yrs old) I panicked, dashed a message off to my vet requesting an ultrasound.

Andy does not take too kindly to being handled so it was necessary to sedate him. Turns out the lumps was a very large abscess, which the vet punctured and began to drain. Before I could say anything, the vet gave him an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injection. The ultrasound was done anyway as the clinic uses an outside source (have ultrasound machine, will travel for those of you old enough to remember Richard Boone's TV series)

Within a day of receiving the 2 injections, Andy is now sneezing, usually in bursts of 5-6 sneezes at a time. There is no discharge from his nose, nor any accompanying cough. His appetite is ok. His usual eating pattern is to gorge himself for a couple of days then virtually fast for a day or so. He does drink water regularly and always has. He does not have a fever. The only behaviour change I have noticed is he a bit more affectionate. The abscess is still there although smaller and does not seem to be draining anymore. His energy level has never been very high and he is very slim by nature.

I guess my point of all this is, did the injections he received start the sneezing, or did he pick something up while we were at the vet? He stayed there for 5 hours in his cat carrying case, away from any other animals. I want to treat him with Homeopathy. I am in the process of repertorizing his case, but pulling out good rubrics from symptoms has never been my strongest point. Any suggestions here? Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, what a great case! Thanks for sharing about Andy.

No.

The injections did not start the sneezing.

His decreased immunity and increased susceptibility to an opportunistic bug like a Herpes virus did.

Secondary to a decrease in his internal balance worsened by stress.

Here's how you can evaluate symptoms like this.

Andy probably got a cat bite (does he go out?) .

His body responded to the injected bacteria (cats mouths are teaming with potential pathogens) by mobilizing his immune system via inflammation.

In some cases you can see the hallmarks of inflammation by fever, redness, pain and swelling of the inflamed area.

However it sounds like Andy's vet saw him quickly so you didn't see this.

But then the stresses of corralling Andy, taking him to the vet then getting the injections further strained his system.

His lowered immune function from stress then allowed activation of the bug (probably a virus) and URTI symptoms (sneezing, discharge, etc.).

Regarding your awe-some idea to repertorize, I'd advise your focusing on the subtle modality that you have.

I bet that will lead you to a curative remedy.

At this time though, he may not even need a remedy as his BEAM is great.

URTIs are almost never life-threatening emergencies and respond to the treatments of tincture of time and supportive care like fluids.

Unlike kitties with urinary obstruction.

Some of these may have normal BEAM.

Always go right to the vet when you see frequent, urgent, painful urination in a male cat. Also if you think he is straining to poop (but might actually be straining to urinate).

For Andy at this moment I'd increase his fluid consumption with organic salt-free chicken broth and possibly use this great immune booster from Rx Vitamins.

He'll be fine in 1-2 weeks (or less)...

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff. Andy is still sneezing and now there is (if you will pardon the expression) kitty snot. It is clear in colour. When he finishes doing his multiple sneezing, he has a look of panic on his face wondering what the heck just happened. I did do the repping of his case and have come up with some possible remedies. Now I have to figure out which would be the best one. In the meantime, I have excellent nonsalted homemade organic chicken broth which I will give to him. He allowed me to examine his chest where the abscess is, and it has just about resolved. I sure wish I could get the immune booster, but with the stringent controls exercised by customs here in the Yucatan, the stuff would be confiscated. There is, however, (apologies to all kitties) more than one way to skin a cat" My stepson is coming down next Saturday and he will be my "mule".

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I love it! A supplement mule.

I wouldn't wait much longer to dose as is now discharging more as well as looking startled.

Does he continue to be a bit clingier than usual?

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
I will start him today. Yes, he is a bit more clingy, but still overall, does not like to be handled. I have zeroed in on Bryonia, 30C liquid (will somehow get the remedy into him. I will give one dose then wait and see.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again-

Did you include this rubric in your analysis?

MIND - COMPANY - desire for - alone agg.; when: (90) aeth. agar. aids. alco. all-s. allox. ambr. ant-t. Apis aq-mar. Arg-n. ARS. asaf. aur. bell. bism. Bism-sn. bov. brom. bufo cadm-met. cadm-s. calc. calc-n. calc-sil. Camph. caust. cedr. clem. con. cortico. crot-c. cupr. Dros. elaps ferr. Ferr-ar. Fl-ac. GAL-AC. gels. haliae-lc. HEP. hydrog. Hyos. irid-met. kali-ar. Kali-br. Kali-c. kali-n. kali-s. lac-c. lac-cp. lach. lat-h. lil-t. Lyc. m-aust. mag-m. Merc. Mez. morg. nat-c. nat-m. nat-ox. nit-ac. Pall. ph-ac. PHOS. plb. podo. psor. puls. ran-b. rat. Rhus-t. ruta sep. sil. spong. stann. Stram. tab. taosc. tarent. tritic-vg. valer. vanil. verat. zinc. zinc-p.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Actually, no, I didn't. The mind rubrics I used were:
Mind; Touched; adverse to, being
Mind; Alone, disposed to be

While the second mind rubric did not appear in Bry, the other rubrics I used indicated Bry was the most applicable to his current state. The fact that becoming more clingy might be overstating his behaviour since his abscess episode, as typically, he will not let you touch him at all. He is not overly sociable with the other cats and really prefers his own company. I was only able to get a tiny bit of the Bry into him, (I have the claw marks to prove it!) but suffice to say, he has not sneezed at all today, although he still does seem to be more friendly. I think yesterday, he was at his apex in terms of his sneezing issue and hopefully, all has resolved. The maddening thing I find about converting symptoms to rubrics is to some extent, the interpretation is often quite subjective, based on one's own observations. I guess it will become better with experience.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic that his sneezing is better!

Good work with the Bry and keep up the great supportive care you are using.

I absolutely agree that his slight deviation from his steady-state "normal" gruffness is important and that using any mind symptoms for animals is subjective.

That's exactly why we try not to overemphasize them in any repertorizations.

The rubric I pointed out earlier in the thread is the one I find most reliable both for these subtle behavior modalities, attention-seeking behaviors as well as for animals with separation anxiety symptoms.

Subjectivity and rubric translation are indeed sometimes problematic for animals and non-verbal kids.

This is where emphasis on the objective symptoms is so important.

Ah, but what are objective and useful symptoms for a cat bite abscess?

Location or appearance of the abscess, discharge, modalities, concomitants...?

This will be a great topic for the July 27-28 seminar!

Let's start a discussion on this great topic (which symptoms are significant in animals) over in the homeopathy folder.

In the meantime, let's wait for further improvement.

Succuss the Bry solution and redose on resurgence of URTI symptoms.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff. I would love to expand on the topic of objective and useful rubrics for cat abscesses in our upcoming seminar in July. In the meantime, Andy continues to be way more friendly and is presently curled up on the chair in our bedroom. ( a first for him!) Who knows, maybe it took the nasty abscess to make a change in his behaviour for the better. No sneezing at all today!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great!

Perhaps the more prominent symptom is his body's way of telling you that he needs a remedy in the > (better with) company rubric I sent.

However, as you said, it may also be an indicator that he is the road to better balance.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
andy is blessed to have you as a mom!

Immune supports wherever you live include you learning Reiki, HTA (Healing Touch for Animals), Quantum or Theta Healing. Once learned they are immediately available whenever there is a problem and can help you cope, as well.

Acupressure is also available when you have a few books, or google points for "the symptoms", in this case sneezing and discharge, general immune support and the abscess. This is, chuckle, always at your fingertips.

Vitamin C (500 mg or more for a cat) is pretty available as well.
Dr. Christina

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Christina. I have just completed a course in Animal Reiki and to coin a phrase used often these days, it was awesome! I am doing whatever I can to learn how to better look after kitty and doggie health issues. My supplement "mule" is on his way to Merida, Mexico, (where I currently live) next Saturday, with a supply of items I asked him to bring. . . immune support is one of them. As well, I am transitioning everyone to a raw diet based on their respective nutritional needs, both dogs and cats. Thank you both of you for your help and support.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom