• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cataract in senior dogs

M

mhassine

My dog Cassie (10 y old Husky mix) was diagnosed with a double cataract and the first vet ophthalmologist advises for a surgery. The argument is that her condition as a diabetic 1, hypothyroidic, and summer approaching with high UVs are no aggravating factors in the case of a surgery during the spring. I have doubts and now heading for a second opinion.

At the same time, I came across this site that promises to stop and possibly reverse cataracts. https://www.wisechoicemedicine.com/testimonials-dogs/

Do you have any views and/or recommendation?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for re-posting your email question here Michelle. I appreciate it.

Yes, my opinion for an approach to deciding what to do is below:

Question 1: Has Cassie suddenly become blind or having a decreased quality of life because of vision problems?.

2. What is she eating?

3. How much insulin and thyroxine is she receiving?

4. Has she had any recent (<6 mos.) wellness screening or vet exam?

5. Does she have any other historical health challenges?

6. Did the ophtho. say whether either or both of her cataracts are mature or hyper-mature?

Cataracts that obscure vision often shrink on their own over time. She only needs to see around a little portion of one of the cataracts.

@lizkunz may have something to say about this as she had an experience with cataracts in her pup and close monitoring by an ophtho.

I asked #1 because that will help you decide whether you should consider rapid relief of any visual deficits. Regardless of the supplement used (or not)

Numbers 2-5 will give us a better idea about her vitality, balance and natural healing abilities.

And uncontrolled diabetics are more of an anesthetic risk.

In reply to your question about the carnosine (Can-C) eyedrops, I'd say yes, this is something with vet experience to show that they can help.

However, I find Ocluvet drops to be well tolerated and potentially more effective.

It contains the carnosine as well as the anti-oxidants and supplements Glutathione, Cysteine Ascorbate, L- Taurine, Riboflavin Monophosphate.

In addition, there is a very interesting product that @poman_lo@bodhiworld_com told me about.

According to Poman's vet in Hong Kong lanosterol, in Dr. Li's opinion, can be even more effective.

Click/tap here for a research article in your HMDM folder that corroborates the effectiveness.

There's also more info about research and pics on the product sales page.

However, it is quite expensive and can be harder to get (unless of course you're traveling to Asia soon)!

Thanks again for asking, and please keep us apprised of what you do.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
As Dr. Jeff mentioned that my dog, Katie, developed cataracts later in life. I noticed them after she had a bad health incident, pancreatitis. We took her to an ophthalmologist who of course recommended surgery. At the time I thought she needed to recover from her hospitalization before I gave her another challenge. I didn't notice a big change in her quality of life because of the cataracts. She still chased squirrels, etc. Of course, she had Dr. Jeff's good care. I never ended up having the surgery. At first we would go to the ophthalmologist twice a year, then we would go annually. He was always pleased with Katie's progress or rather lack of progress. Gradually, the cataracts were being absorbed! Katie lived to be 16 years old. She lived a normal life with cataracts for almost six years. Far more upsetting to me was when her hearing declined!

By the way I have read/heard that fermented goat milk is beneficial for diabetes. Any thoughts Dr. Christina/Dr. Jeff? I think maybe it was mentioned on one of our empower hours.

Katie IMG_2140.JPG

M

mhassine

thank you both for your contributions!
For the record, I ordered a 6-month supply of Can-C before I got your response.

Question 1: Has Cassie suddenly become blind or having a decreased quality of life because of vision problems?. Her eye issues started in January, and gradually she demonstrated partial blindness to stuff right before her--missing a step, bumping into items, walls, street signs.

2. What is she eating? she is eating home-made cooking, with veggies and mainly chicken meats. This is supplemented daily with fresh fish (salmon), uncooked meats (chicken legs, wings, organs), and a selection of herbs; and her medication.

3. How much insulin and thyroxine is she receiving? 13 units insulin and 0.5 levothyroxine, twice a day.

4. Has she had any recent (<6 mos.) wellness screening or vet exam? yes, last week and this past Monday. Last week GP vet spotted a double cataract. On Monday, ophtalmologist vet confirmed the double cataract, and recommanded a surgery (that vet is also the surgeon). Cassie gets physiotherapy once a month with acupuncture and Bemer therapy.

5. Does she have any other historical health challenges? Just hypothyoridism and diabetes type 1

6. Did the ophtho. say whether either or both of her cataracts are mature or hyper-mature? both cataracts are mature cataracts with Iris atrophy. she also has Keratoconjunctivitis sicca in both eyes.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Michelle-

As per Liz's experience. I typically recommend watchful waiting along with continued internal energetic treatment (primarily using homeopathy) along with periodic ophtho. rechecks.

Is Cassie acclimating to her visual loss?

Is she more or less anxious than in winter?

If she is not acclimating (most dogs do), surgery might be indicated to rapidly help her QOL (quality of life).

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Michelle, I should add to my post, that I only used OcluVet drops for short periods here and there. So I don't think it had much if any impact on her eyes. Also, I think her ophthalmologist was more than pleased, he was amazed. So anything is possible. I enjoyed those appointments very much. My best to you and Cassie.

Sorry about the larger than life photo of Katie! Although it does give a good look at one of her eyes! She was probably around 13 years old in that photo.

M

mhassine

Hi Liz--I am sure you must be proud to beat the pessimistic scenario your earlier vet unfolded when you came up with the cataract issue. I target the same. Our first GP vet directed us to the second ophthalmologist vet, but there is a lot of wrong-way business in the field. At 4-6k$ per surgery--not counting the follow up and other medications, it is a profit center before being a health issue.

My concern is more on the
(i) balancing the eyesight issue with her diabetes--diabetes is a *severe* factor of things going the wrong way after surgery. When I questioned whether diabetes is a possible aggravating factor that may reduce the chances of success, I was squarely told "no". But I don't buy this.
(ii) timing (not a good time to get surgery when the air is dry and hot, days are long, and sunshine abundant),
(iii) order of priorities. I feel I was not given all the options, rather hurried into one option only, the surgery. The whole discussion what not what to do, but when to do the double cataract surgery. "And please schedule the pre-surgery tests". Next thing is right after you're out of the exam room, a smiling nice lady comes to you to schedule the test. That's just 650$ for 2 hours of tests.

So the surgery is just one option, and I surmise it should *not* be the first one, nor other options being brushed off the table--not fair for us. It is not a question of money, but I don't want my dog to lose her eyes because some guys want to accelerate the amortization of their expensive equipment.

On Dr. Jeff's questions--Cassie is much happier during winter, because the cold matches her double-coat hair, and spring brings a lot of allergies, less going out and more staying glued to the blowing A/C. During summer she usually picks up weight, and her insulin has to be increased.

She is also an Alpha, so she is a natural leader, who hates to bang on sidewalks, stomp on branches, and not see another pooch approaching. She's barely getting adjusted to this and not accepting it.

Thank you for your support! We are heading towards eye drops for a few months. I will report on this.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Michelle, Katie and I were probably just lucky. She also didn't have the diabetes issue so it's very different. Again I wish you well.

M

mhassine

Okay, so we are (nearly) back to square 1--is there anyone out there that was able to successfully treat a diabetic dog with Can-C or any other drops to heal a mature cataract?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I think you gathered some useful information Michelle.

Regarding your HMDM Step 3 implementation, here's what I would do with Vanya (my 9 year young female Poodle):

1. Start the Can-C right away if you haven't already

2.Continue your work with your homeopath (Dr. Yasson?)

3. Support Cassie's healing as much as possible using:

-raw varied meats including heart and other organs

-taking her outside as often and for as long as possible

-encourage at least 20 minutes/d of exercise. This can be anything from a walk to playing fetch or even better, playing with other known dogs.

Do you test her blood sugars at home, and if not, when did you last run a BG curve?

Also, Liz was not lucky with Katie's cataract improvement.

It's pretty common to see resorption during the hyper-mature state of a cataract.

M

mhassine

Dear Dr. Jeff,
thank you for your encouragements.
Cassie has usually 1-2 hour walk in total per day--that is altogether in the morning, midday and evening. She likes to stay in the yard, unless it is very sunny or hot. She hides under a bush where it is cooler and stays in plain shade.
I test her blood sugar at home (I use the AlphaTrak2 every day in the morning, 2 hours after the insulin).
She get raw meats (frozen then defrost to reduce salmonella risks) which include chicken heart, gizzard, wing, legs, salmon, and full shrimps. She loves the fish/sea food. I am about to supplement her herbs with diatomaceous earth--1.5 gram per meal. And her supplements include Dr Mercola eye supplement which has Lutein, Astaxhanthin, Zeaxanthin, Bilberry, vitamins C and E.

Can-C is in the mail, and should arrive shortly. She will get it asap.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Excellent Michelle :thumbsup:.

M

mhassine

One week into the Can-C treatment (eye drops and daily supplement): Cassie is less disoriented, the eye is darker, it seems to me that she tends to bump into things much less and can anticipate obstacles much better. I take now daily pictures of both eyes. I am posting here the initial aspects of her eyes on April 22, before the treatment. The cataract on both eyes is very visible. The regression of the cataract is expected from the outside inwards, as it develops spiraling out from the center of the eye.Cassie April 22 Can-C pre-treatment.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mhassine

I post here a few days into the treatment. I am just using an Iphone to take picture, much less sophisticate than the zooming camera used at the vet clinic. Still, it is very encouraging. My picture of her L eye taken on May 3 is not very good, so I used the earlier picture on April 30.

Cassie April 30 day 2 Can-C L eye.JPG

Cassie May 3 day 4 Can-C R eye.JPG

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
As Dr. Jeff mentioned that my dog, Katie, developed cataracts later in life. I noticed them after she had a bad health incident, pancreatitis. We took her to an ophthalmologist who of course recommended surgery. At the time I thought she needed to recover from her hospitalization before I gave her another challenge. I didn't notice a big change in her quality of life because of the cataracts. She still chased squirrels, etc. Of course, she had Dr. Jeff's good care. I never ended up having the surgery. At first we would go to the ophthalmologist twice a year, then we would go annually. He was always pleased with Katie's progress or rather lack of progress. Gradually, the cataracts were being absorbed! Katie lived to be 16 years old. She lived a normal life with cataracts for almost six years. Far more upsetting to me was when her hearing declined!

By the way I have read/heard that fermented goat milk is beneficial for diabetes. Any thoughts Dr. Christina/Dr. Jeff? I think maybe it was mentioned on one of our empower hours.

Katie IMG_2140.JPG
Thank you, Liz for your reply. The quality of life is most important and Katie did fine in spite of the cataracts. When I first started veterinary school, our Dean gave a reception at his home. We were in his back yard (September in Georgia was lovely) and his elderly Chihuahua was totally enjoying visiting with all 90 of us and picking up bits of dropped food, too. Only towards the end of the event did I discover she was totally blind and had been that way for several years.

So, Michelle, Jeff's first question is always the most important - what is the quality of life. Even it the cataracts progress to complete blindness, Cassie may have a great quality of life.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Michelle,
In addition to the cataract discussion, and how wonderful to see such quick response to the Can-C!, Cassie's other problems can also be dramatically helped with homeopathic treatment.

Many cats and dogs are able to decrease or even eliminate the need for insulin and thyroxine when their vital force is balanced with homeopathy along with the great care you are already giving. Keep a journal of all her symptoms and any changes after each treatment recommended by Dr. Yasson. Dr. Yasson has actually spoken on diabetic treatment at the Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy conferences, so you are in good hands.

I would definitely be focused on the diabetes and the hypothyroid, along with the heat and allergy problems in the summer. Healthy Northern breed dogs with thick coats may prefer the winter but can tolerate the summer without much problem.

A quick question about diet is how she is getting her calcium. Are you feeding bones, or giving a calcium supplement?

Dr. Christina

M

mhassine

Hi Dr. Christina,
Cassie gets chicken bones at least twice a day. Occasionally, she gets full shrimps (with scales and head).

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great news Michelle that Cassie's cataracts and quality of life are improving!

For now, just keep doing what you're doing.

Please keep us posted.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
The lighting makes it look different to me Michelle.

How do her eyes look in "person"?

Have you noticed any subtle change in her BEAM or vision?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom